New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota 76...worth the price?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A local store has a couple Dakota 76 rifles on sale. These are normally WAY out of my price range, however, this particular store is having a big sale, and they have a GREAT layaway program (10 months ). So, for the measley sum of $200+ per month for the better part of a year, I could be the proud owner of a Dakota rifle. The one I like the best is chambered for .330 Dakota. Are these rifles really worth the price? This one, with Talley rings and bases, is about $2600. I'm afraid that I would never bring myself to take it hunting, as I'd be afraid it might get rained on or scratched. I know the brass is expensive for the .330, but 100 rounds would last a long time. I just don't know if it's really worth what I could buy 4-5 other rifles for. What do you think?

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I now exactly how you feel... I have had a few factory rifles, a few custom made rifles, and I have one Dakota (.375 H&H) Safari.

I could not have afforded the rifle at retail, since this rifle cost about double what I had spent on other custom rifles.

The Dakota is now my absolute favorite rifle and I would rather shoot it than anything else I own.

G.P. trent

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of cash... Too expensive?? Ask yourself if you intend to keep the rifle, and if so for how long?? The price seems high now, but will it also seem high if you intend to keep and use the rifle for 30 years, say??

Can't really comment on the price - as I don't know what these babies normally go for. I'd pick a .270 though [Wink]

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
I'm a mamber of Factoryville Sportsmans Club. We got a special deal from Dakota a few years back for our 50th anniver. Dakota did up 50 rifles to our specs. I got a .375H&H Safari with quarter-rib and hooded/banded front sight. Beautiful rifle, very accurate. I paid 2600.00 for mine, to replace it today would be around 5000.00. I'm glad I bought it, but I hardly ever use it. I have a .416 Rigby Ruger M77 that gets used all the time. Cheaper to replace if it gets lost or destroyed. Looking back I should have gone with a .300 or .338 something. It would give me an excuse to use it.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I have a few Dakota rifles in their proprietary cartridge line. They are indeed expensive rifles. They are expensive for a reason - overall, they are very well made and the Dakota 76 action is one of the best ever made. A full blown custom Dakota 76 African grade in Exhibition Grade wood will set you back about $6,000+. The Dakota is a very good blend of custom work in a factory rifle.

The fact that you are questioning yourself about the price is a little reflective. They are not for everyone. Yes you can build two guns for the price of a standard grade, and three or four for the African grade. It all comes down to disposable income and desire.

The Dakota .330 is an excellent cartridge. I have mine dialed in at 2800fps with a 250gr Nosler Gold. Cases are a little pricy, however, brass lasts for many reloads if you anneal and neck size. If you want to know more, send me a PM I will be happy to help...

[ 05-12-2003, 23:12: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have used several Dakotas, I like thenm alot. One of the guys has an 06 that shoots like a varmint gun. You get what you pay for quality, accuracy ever time it is not a fluke.

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's them that have 'em and them that drool. I prefer the #10 but that's my problem, not yours. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Think of it this way, it'll never get cheaper and this deal will probably never come again. If you really want this level of custom gun, go for it now. There's nothing worse than looking back years from now and saying "I should have...".

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Inconvenience is temporary.

Regret is permanent"

[Wink]

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Yes, the Dakota 76 is worth the money if you can afford it. In the truest sense, it's more worthy of its purchase price than the average run-of-the-mill current factory rifle that sells for a fraction of its cost.

Of the classic production bolt rifles, only the pre-64 Model 70 Winchester, Belgian-made Browning High-Power, FN (pre-Browning H-P), German Weatherby, and pre-1972 Sako represent comparable or better buys than the Dakota 76, that is if honest quality matters as much to you as it does me. Sadly, all of the rifles I mentioned have been discontinued for over twenty-five years or more.

AD

posted Hide Post
hoss,

Do they have any LH models????

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS - Dakota has a few LH rifles in stock. Most are pricy...

http://www.dakotaarms.com/INVENTORY/inventory.htm

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm afraid that I would never bring myself to take it hunting, as I'd be afraid it might get rained on or scratched.
That's the only part of your question that bothers me. Sort of like saying I don't want to marry a beautiful woman because she may get wrinkles some day. In that analogy if she is a good woman inside as well as being beautiful on the outside then in my mind she will always be beautiful even though she has a little wear on her. If you really want the rifle go for it. But do it justice and use it. Someday when your old and sitting by the fire you can hold it and look at the nicks and dings of honest wear and cherish the memories that they envoke.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You list your occupation as "not by choice". You have not come back to the thread since it has been running.

That Dakota rifle could be providing you with an opportunity to make a decision that results in you going forward. One thing for sure, a Howa/Rem 700/M70 in 338 Winchester will not.........

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Dakota 76 in 270 that was for sale buy the owner. I paid 1500 out the door. The folks at Dakota, said anytime I want to sell it they would buy it at double that price. And that was 7 years ago. I had a 330 dakota built on a Ruger # 1. I can tell you with out a doubt. You will be very happy with that rifle and cartridge. Yea brass is a little pricy. But I found that they case lasts a long time. You will be able to get ten to 15 shots out of a case and then some, some of mine is close to 20 shots. On a per shot base, its pretty reasonable. As for hunting with it. Thats what they make them for. Mine has a few dings, it adds to it. The fellow I bought mine from is very happy that I own it, since I shoot it and its been on a few hunts. One of two really good rifles is worth more than a couple of dozen off the rack remchesters.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use to work at Dakota Arms and still own one and have a couple other actions to build on. Is a Dakota worth it? Well, that's for the owner to decide. They kill an animal just as dead as any other rifle. I have a couple custom mausers I like just as well. They are an investment, you won't lose anything off them. But, that is normal for most firearms. If you really want a well built Dakota, buy it from an employee. You'll get it a little cheaper, have more extras and they spend more time on building them. A Dakota is a production gun and #1 priority is still getting them out the door. If you guys have any other questions pertaining the Dakota Arms rifles I would be more than happy to tell you.

Posts: 8 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My one Dakota was a beautifully functioning rifle, however, for me in a 7mm bore it should have shot better than it did. It's now gone to some one who can live with flyers.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, The Dakota's are still available. I found a new-in-box Kimber 89 BGR Super America .338 for a whole lot less money ($1400) than the Dakota. The Dakota's are nice, but I can't justify (to myself or my wife!) spending that on a hunting rifle at this point. The Kimber is absolutely gorgeous, but not so expensive that I'll be afraid to use it. Now, I gotta pick out a scope for it.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd caution you on the Kimber. I have been told that quality was hit or miss on the 89's. Specifically told by a gent who collected Kimber's in Odessa, Texas that the 89's had headspace problems at times as well as feeding and misfiring issues. Mr. Belk or Harry at Hunters Headquarters (I believe he was once a dealer of them) can offer their experienced view. If you want a Dakota your deal is a pretty good one or look for a used one. I just picked up a near mint 76 African in 416 Rigby with all the bells and whistles for $3100 which is aboyt 40% of retail new. I have seen some pretty good deals on them at times.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good deal.

Kimber: buy it, use it, sell it at any time for less than you paid for it...most likely.

Dakota: buy it, use it, sell it at any time for MORE than you paid for it.

Good luck,

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I usually build it, beat it, rebarrel and blue it and do it all over again.
If you guys want a African grade/bore rifle, the Dakota is not where it's at. If I were to spend that kind of money on a complete rife I would definitely go with a Satterlee. Satterlee actions and rifles make Kimber and Dakota's look like run of the mill rifles. Stu Satterlee is the former head machinist and troubleshooter for Dakota Arms and is now on his own. Look him up at the next guild show. He contracts his barreling expertise for the ultra accurate competition guns of Granite Mountain Arms and Miller Schutzen rifles. Had Stu barrel a 300 win mag mt. rifle for me, and it pokes a half inch group in the paper at a hundred with store bought winchester powerpoint 180 grainers. I'm sold! But if you want a Satterlee rifle you'll have to wait for a couple years. He's a little backed up. Right now, I'm trying to work a deal with him on one of his titanium short actions.

Posts: 8 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jonesy

From time to time in Australia people say Dakoat actions are on the soft side. Do you think there is any truth in that.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Soft pertaining to what? They are machined out of 4140 billet and can withstand quite a beating. Most rifle manufacturers have a process called investment casting. This is where the molten metal is poured into a cast and comes out 85% complete and only needs a little machine work. The integrity of an action that is machined out of billet steel is much higher. Take a Dakota magnum action for instance. The action is extremely smooth and tight. Shoot a thousand rounds through it and do the same thing. The action will still be smooth and tight. Try that test with an off the shelf gun and you go from not so smooth and loose, to a little smoother and sloppy. I do have to say that the Dakota model 10 single shots are notorious for breaking firing pins. From what I understand is that the angle the pin is in puts an unusual stress on it.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Dakota actions are considered by most to have the highest tolerances thanks to CAM, the safest gas porting and seal design, and to be more resilient than any for the reasons Jonesy gave - 4140 billet is plenty tough. These are a few of the reasons why you pay through the nose for them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jonesy,

In your post of 8:42, you said that if a guy wants
an African rifle, the Dakota is not where its at.
Could you please explain what you mean by that?

Thanks
Wes

Posts: 1193 | Location: Shawnee, Okla US | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've already checked the headspace on the Kimber, it's perfect, it feeds perfectly, and seems to shoot well, though I haven't got serious about it yet. Still waiting on it's permanent scope to arrive (Zeiss Conquest 3-9).

posted Hide Post
DWS,
I have had a Dakota and Satterlee side by side to be able to compare. The Satterlee was tighter and smoother. The price is about the same. I asked Stu Satterlee about the difference. He said that it was due to the numberous steps taken to machine an action. With Dakota, they are made in an assembley line production and tooling isn't always sharp and a half dozen or more people are handling the different steps. Each one of the Dakota machinists are given a certain amount of tolerance to waver on. The Satterlee actions are made 10 at a time and the tooling is sharpened in between, along with that the actions are made from start to finish by the same individual. Plus all Satterlee Rifles are hand lapped and the actions are a little longer to give it additional smoothness. I'm just saying if I was going to spend that kind of money I would go with the Satterlee between the two.