Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Hawaii (The Big Island)???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
My girlfriend mentioned being interested in spending time in Hawaii January 2013. I would be interested in wild boar, muflon sheep, and possibly upland birds. Are muflon sheep available on the big island? What DIY hunting opportunities are available for non residents? What hunting outfits can you recommend? Thank you!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Brett,

Pat Fischer is great. He hunts a lot of the islands now, but I hunted with him on big island.

There were guys there that had gone out on public ground and killed a mouflon or two I believe.

I was there for 1/2 of December last year, and it was a little cool for Hawaii and I believe that is one of the windier and rainier times there. Will be much warmer than AK though...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 1 for Pat Fisher. It is a pain to get a rifle into Hawaii but Pat can fix you up with one of his. Also, you have to send them your hunter safety info to see if they will accept it before you can get a hunting license. Hunting in Hawaii is a cool experience.

The islands are pretty close to each other so it is only a short hop or ferry ride if you want to hunt another island.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. We ended up deciding on Kaua'i, so we will do a day of boar and bird hunting with Pat.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'm another that has hunted with Pat Fisher.

I hunted Spanish goat in July 2011 and black Hawaiian sheep and wild boar in Feb. 2012.

Here are a couple pics to wet your whistle!

I didn't score on the boar. Saw several but never the 'right' one. I did pass a very respectable boar the first morning of the sheep hunt, but sheep was #1 on the wish list at the moment.

Good luck and bring back lots of pictures!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed in Hawaii, Eugene Yap's SOuth Point Safaris was one of the highest rated outfitters for free range mouflon. He had a huge area right next to Volcanos National Park on Mauna Kea. Don't know if he is still around but it would be worth a google search to find out.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're going to be on Kaua'i, check out Ni'ihau safaris. I hunted in 07, brought a nice boar and a great marino ram off the island.

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote