Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shut out of Wyoming
 Login/Join

posted
I had expected for my Dad and I to draw wyoming pronghorn in unit 47 this year but we were not. I was looking forward to taking him out west this fall for a hunt and am curious if anyone has an idea of any trespass hunts in units with leftover tags that are affordable on this short notice?

Posts: 11 | Location: Kindred, ND | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are over 1000 buck tags, as well as over 1000 doe tags left for unit 23 just on the outskirts of Gillette. You can buy 2 buck tags and up to 4 doe tags for that particular unit. Call the G&F Office there and ask them for their list of ranchers in unit 23 that allow hunting for an access fee. You should still at least be able to set up a doe hunt and a lot of places will let you kill does for free, especially after the first few days of the season. Access for bucks can get pretty pricey, but that's up to you to decide what you want to spend if you find places. After you get something set up you can then buy leftover tags in July. Buck tags go on sale on 7/10 and does tags on 7/17. Good luck!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Cutting my own throat here somewhat, but according to Wyoming F&G website, the Hunter Assistance information will be updated by 7-10.

Basically what it is, is a program thru Wyoming F&G whereby landowners post information with the dept. stating what they have available for hunters in the various regions. You get on the Wyoming F&G site go to the hunter assistance page and landowners in the various regions that have hunting available have posted their contact information. Some have buck hunting available, some does/fawns, trespass fees will vary. That is what Lora and I are going to try and do this year. As TG stated, there are some units that have lots of left over tags because the units are made of mostly of private land.

We are interested in does/fawns so we are looking at Unit 23 as a starting point.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CrazyHorse,

I would not put to much weight on the Hunter Assistance program. I just looked at it and the same names are on there that have been there for the past 5 or 6 years. I live in Gillette and to be honest we have looked at area 23 several times over the past couple years and have not been able to find enough antelope to justify buying a license. If you want the landowner list from Game and Fish I have it on my computer at the office just email me at thildebrand@vcn.com and I will be glad to share it with you. Unfortunately it doesn't list if they charge or if they allow free hunting. I got it last year. Around here your best bet is one of the gps units with the landowner id chip in it. Around Gillette there are a lot of .5 to 2 section parcels of public land, these are usually intermixed with private and usually not well marked on the boundaries.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Todd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I am thinking that our just being interested in doe/fawn tags we might have an edge. I have shot a couple of bucks, one in unit 99 in Wyoming in 1993 and one in the Texas Panhandle on a TP&W draw hunt in 1995 or '96 that cost me the grand sum of $42.00 and that buck goes 75 4/8ths. So shooting a buck does not interest me. The last speed goats Lora and I killed were 2 does north west of Craig, Co. in 1997 and I want to do at least one more goat hunt.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd---Where in the heck have you been looking to make a statement like that? There are more tags issued in 23 than probably any other unit in the state due to the numbers of animals and amount of private land that restricts access in the unit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, for Lora and myself, a one day or two day hunt on private land with a reasonable trespass fee and the possibility/probability of killing 2 does each would be perfect. Such a hunt would give us more time for sight seeing before heading home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting buddy and me hunted outside of Gillette a couple of years back and there would be no shortage of antelope if you decided to go there.
We got leftover buck tags and bought a couple of additional doe tags each and filled all of them in 2 days.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Topgun,

Maybe I should have clarified in my first post. I have not been able to find enough antelope on public land to justify a permit. Do you live around here?

Todd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd NE WY:
Topgun,

Maybe I should have clarified in my first post. I have not been able to find enough antelope on public land to justify a permit. Do you live around here?

Todd

***That's a big difference now with your clarification regarding public compared to private land in 23. There is some public ground that holds a few over in the nw part of 23 where there is also a WIHA along Beaver Creek, but I would probably agree with you about not making a long trip out there without having a good place lined up. No, I don't live near you, but I've hunted most every year in Wyoming since 1992 and know about as much or more about the hunting in the state as a lot of the residents do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Actually, for Lora and myself, a one day or two day hunt on private land with a reasonable trespass fee and the possibility/probability of killing 2 does each would be perfect. Such a hunt would give us more time for sight seeing before heading home.

***CHC---I think if you make some phone calls that you'll be able to line up a ranch in 23 to shoot some does for free, especially if you wait and skip the first week of the season. Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks for the advice TopGun. I appreciate it.