New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone hunt the moffat are in CO.?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i hunted it about 6 years ago i love the terrain, i understand it doesn't hold alot of huge bucks but i would like to hunt it again if there are still animals in that area.

one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Hunted it for antelope with bow and arrow. Saw lots of antelope, not much for deeer/elk. Phil Phillips used to have the hunting rights to alot of land, in fact our tags were landowner tags. This is the same area Chuck Adams hunted for antelope several years in a row. You could probably check with Phil as to game information.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted in Moffat County a lot over the years for deer, elk and antelope. Lots of game there, but it can be kind of hard to find big bucks and bulls. This area comprises kind of a mix.
Some areas like 3, 301, 11 have lots of tags available. Easy to hunt and lots of public land, but the herds get shot over pretty well. Mostly small to medium sized stuff. Success can be really high, especially the late season cow elk hunts.
On the other hand, areas like 2, 10, 211 and 201 are managed for trophy animals. Tags are extremely difficult to draw. For instance area 2 took 14 preference points this year for a bull elk tag, 5 preference points for a buck deer tag, and 9 preference points for a buck antelope tag. Those #'s are for residents. Non-resident odds are even worse. But if a fellow draws the tag, he can plan on having a crack at a monster. I've been hunting cow elk in area 2 (that tag is really easy to draw) for about 4 years while I'm building points. I've got 10 preference points as of this fall. I've seen bull elk in this area that I know for a fact will make the book. I picked ip a matched set of sheds that scored over 320 B&C without factoring in a spread. I've also seen lots of 28-30 inch wide muley bucks. I've got 4 preference points for them, so the next couple years will pay off in a tag. And don't ask, I'm not telling where I'm seeing the big bulls Razzer.
So, Moffat County is a great place to hunt. But it is big country and some places are definately better than others.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote