THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Need Help With California X5B Zone.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need Help With California X5B Zone.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just wondering, should we shoot all the phesants as well? Or should we poison any water that holds brown trout and eliminate them? And let's not forget that we should shoot every pig that we see as well. All in the interest of consistancy. I've hunted area that had wild horses and saw some huge bucks. You just have to be smarter than the deer.

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBFishn, I've hunted antelope around Shinn Mtn., Rattlesnake Peak, etc., east of Ravendale. Used to be a lot of very large Mule deer in there, and "some" wild horses and burros.

Also there were, at that time, BLM buckaroos who were rounding up the wild horses and burros, to be sold. I do know after talking with some BLM people, and a couple of Game Wardens, that the wild horses and burros will definitely drive the deer away from water sources and even food sources.

In my opinion, the "wild" horses and burros should, for the most part, be shot, They are in no way, shape, or form, "native" animals.

Those X Zones in N.E. Calif., used to be great hunting areas. Good luck on your next hunt.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunterbug,

I don't know about �Kalifornia� but here in �California� the BLM has round-ups and then they sell off the wild horses and burros to those the have proven capabilities to take care of them. This came about when many of the ones being sold were found to have been mistreated, starved and neglected. The deer population in the X5b zone is down but the wild horses and burros have very little to do with it. Poaching was very heavy in that area for a number of years. The drought and fires have also taken their tolls on the deer herds. Personally I hunt other X zones where the deer herd population is in much better shape and ones chances of success are much greater. So far the hunting members of our family(8 of us) have accounted for 9 nice bucks and one Black Bear since the opener Oct. 2. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. the phesants do not destroy the habitat, they take it over. How many more native grouse and qauil would we have if not for the phesants.

2. Brown trout do not destroy the habitat but they do destroy the native species. The Green Backed Cutthroat was pushed to the brink of extinction by introduced borwn and rainbows.

3. ok

4. I don't know how they do it in Kalifornia but in Colorado the numbers of the wild horses are managed. The BLM has roundups and they then adopt out the horses.

I personally wouldn't want to shoot and eat a horse. Not when there is perfectly good deer and elk running around. One of the premier deer and elk units in Colorado has wild horses. This unit take 13+ years to draw a bull tag because of the number and size of the elk. So I don't think that the horses are as much of a problem as people try to make them out to be.

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

HUNTERBUG - "I'm just wondering, should we shoot all the phesants as well? Or should we poison any water that holds brown trout and eliminate them? And let's not forget that we should shoot every pig that we see as well. All in the interest of consistancy. I've hunted area that had wild horses and saw some huge bucks. You just have to be smarter than the deer."

1. "Shoot all the phesants (sic)..." Pheasants, although not native, DO NOT destroy the habitat of other wild game birds. Plus, Pheasants are killed by the hundreds of thousands each year in many States, by hunters.

2. "Poison ...Brown trout ..." Brown trout DO NOT destroy the habitat of native trout, are well managed by G&F, and as with pheasants, are caught and eaten by anglers.

3. "...shoot every pig..." Same ol' same ol'. Feral pigs/hogs, which DO damage wild game habitat, ARE killed by hunters in the U.S., again, by the truckloads in some areas by hunters, and indeed, shot on sight by farmers, ranchers, and even at times, by employees of G&F depts.

It doesn't matter how "smart" you are when the horses and burros have run almost all the deer out of the area in which you've drawn a tag. If the deer are gone, they are gone. And that's what's happened in certain parts of Calif.,(Which I've seen when I lived there for 36 years), and Nevada, according to a buddy of mine who hunts in Nevada. The Do-Right-Daddy-&-Mommy Feel Gooders win again.

So, wild pigs/hogs, pheasants, and Brown trout, are MANAGED and harvested. Once-domestic horses and burros ARE NOT, and are strictly protected by Federal law.

Go out and shoot yourself a once-domestic-gone-wild horse or burro and see what happens to you. Get ready to give Uncle Sammy that big bend-over-and-spread-'em-smile for your body cavity search, before attending one of Uncle Sammy's Federal Prisons.

I stand by my statement.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I am sure not hearing any "positives" here

With the point system now is use, I figure I may not get drawn again for 5 years. Mother nature being what she is, climbing to the top of Shinn (or any other peak) in 5 years may not be realistic.

Soooooooooooooooooooo, still looking for some Ideas!

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote