New
Find
Notify
Tools

160 accubond on big deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

I am going on a red deer hunt and have doubts about using the 160 partition, 160 triple shock or 160 accubond on a 7 remington magnum.
The animals are rather big, let�s say around 450 lb.

I know the partition works usually well. The triple shock groups well but my fear is if the petal mushrooming will be enough to drop the animal in its tracks, because of the many times usual reduced diameter.

The accubond looks great, but I have not tried it. I have shot many sciroccos and work well on smaller animals, but they are a little too light for big deer. One of my sciroccos was recovered from a roedeer in sweden shot at around 100 yds, it was just a part of the bullet with around 30 % weight.

It would be useful to know if someone has recovered any acubonbds and has pictures.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't need to worry about using a 160gr Partition on your Red Deer. My friend uses 160gr Partitions in his Sako 7mm Rem Mag for elk. In Colorado 450 pounds would be a small elk, they get over 600 pounds for a cow and bulls are considerably bigger. If you put the bullet where it belongs, the bullet will do it's job.

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you want to develope a load and try the accubond, then feel free to do so, but i really doubt that the 160-grain partition will give you any trouble.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the triple shocks are accurate for you, why wouldn't you use them? I've shot quite a few 400lb+ animals with X Bullets and they perform flawlessly.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the 160 Accubonds shoot well, I'd use them.

I've shot a mess of bigger game with a 150 7mm partition at 3000 fps from my .280rem/.280 AI . PLACEMENT is the key.

Use them.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What Frank said, I've taken elk size animals w/ the 160grNP out of my 7mag & it offers great penetration. On tests I've done in wet pack, the 160grNAB penetrates abit less w/ a bit more expansion. Either will drop your Red deer w/ a well placed shot.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with any of those 3 bullets. Just put them in the right place and you'll have a dead critter.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a big bodied muley buck last year with a 160 grain accubond and it performed very, very well. The range was 280 yards and the velocity out of my stw was 3300 at the muzzle. If they shoot well i would use them!!

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 200 gr. accubonds out of my 300 RUM on a couple of very large elk (bulls) and have been very impressed,
with penetration and retention of original bullet weight
The main thing I like about them if you drop them or are
letting them rattle around in a pocket . the plastic tip doesn't deform like the lead tip on a partition.
hysider

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hit a nice 6x6 Bull elk (700lbs+) with a 225gr Accubond out of a 338 win mag. The the first shot from 515yds (laser measured) took out a section of spine about 3"diameter x 4"long and dropped him. I used a finisher behind the shoulder at pointblank range because he was still breathing (missing 4" of spine no less -elk are tough). The finisher caused a entrance would about 4"x5". I recovered 1 bullet -don't know which, that was a classic mushroom shape probably weighed about 70% of original.
These bullets have shot extremely well in every gun I've shot them in. They have a very high ballistic coefficient (I was using them because they had showed top notch long range accuracy) and on the one critter I've shot them with they performed perfectly.
I doubt I could recommend a better bullet that I have used for your intended pupose.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote