New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montain Goat Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just returned from a fantastic hunt for Mounatin Goats here in Colorado. It took me years to get the tag and I had a great hunt.

I ended up taking a beautiful, old billy with horns that taped 9 inches at the Division of Wildlife office in Salida. The biologist aged him at 6 years old. He had really heavy horns and the tips of both were broken off. His coat was really thick and long and he should make a beautiful mount. I brought out all the edible meat too. We ate some backstrap. It isn't prime elk or deer, but was better than i thought it would be.

We were hunting in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness area and ended up taking him at 13,800 feet in elevation on a very steep and rough mountain. I guess that is why he got to live to such an old age. One shot from my old 7mm Mag at around 300 yards (no way to get any closer) did the trick. Quite a hunt.

If any of you get the chance, put in for the tag down there. I saw over 40 goats before I decided to tag out. It's rugged country, so you need to be in shape!.

On a negative side, I just found out what all has transpired in the last week in this country. Not a good way to wrap up this outing.

Anybody else doing any good this year?

Mac

------------------
When hunting and fishing get in the way of your job, it is time to quit the job!

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
MAC,
Congratulations on a great accomplishment. 13,800 feet! Did you have any altitude sickness to contend with? Take any Diamox?
What altitude did you acclimate at? How long were you at such high altitude? Hard to do the speedy up and down stuff isn't it?

I guess for the hard core mountain hunters it is not so amazing, as it seems to me.

I would love to have a date with a goat some day. Maybe in Alaska. They come down almost to sea level in some places.

------------------
Good huntin', shootin', and spear chuckin',
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I didn't have to do much in the way of aclimating. Thankfully, I am a Colorado native and have spent most of my life above 8,000 feet. I got into high altitude a few days early and that was all I had to do.

I have found that the biggest help in hunting the high country is to climb up and down slowly and to always breath slow and deep. Most people start breathing quick and shallow and they don't have enough oxygen entering their bloodstream which leads to a lack of endurance.

I would love to hunt goats again in Alaska, but since I'm a Colorado resident it was much cheaper this way. Tag only cost $150 and I was not required to hire a guide. The hunt was probably a little harder, bt I did it my way and all on my own.

Happy Hunting.

Mac

------------------
When hunting and fishing get in the way of your job, it is time to quit the job!

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R. A. Berry:
Hard to do the speedy up and down stuff isn't it?

That speedy up/down stuff is hard at any elevation!!

Maybe you should consider the Kootenay's, RAB. Most of our goats can be hunted in the 8000 to 9000 ft range. You'll hardly notice the thin air.

Regards,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Pygmy>
posted
Mac..Congrats on a fine goat...

A goat is on my short list of game I want to hunt before I get too old and feeble to do it...

So many critters to hunt...So little time and money.... .............

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Canuck,
There is an idea, and a stone sheep to go with it? Can't get those anywhere else but Canucky, err, uh, Canada, and only in supernatural B.C. at that! Ah, yes, the Chadwick Ram, greatest North American trophy of all time... Thanks for the suggestion.

------------------
RAB

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
RAB,

The goats in the northern Rockies (where the Stone's live) are even easier to hunt than down here in the Kootenay's. Would make for a nice mix-bag hunt, but it would set you back a pretty penny. The outfitters sure charge dear for those stone's ($15 to 18K USD).

If you were a relative, I could guide you. Don't happen to be related to any residents, eh?

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Canuck,
"eh?" ...I thought it was "aye?"
I guess I am out of luck. No relations up there. My wife won't even let me marry a Canadian girl for hunting purposes. She just doesn't understand.

So I will be a nonresident alien whenever I make it up there, eh?

What do goats go for in USD? Do you guide for goats?

------------------
RAB

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
RAB, "eh" is the accepted spelling up here anyway. I think "aye" would be pronounced "I", like a scottish accent.

So, yep, you would fall into the non-resident alien category, and would have to procure the services of a class A guide. I am not one (at present anyway), but I know quite a few. Goat hunts vary in price throughout BC, and would probably set you back from 5K to 8K USD. One of the more reputable outfitters in this area in the Kootenays, offers a goat/elk combo that is hard to beat in terms of quality (wild country, good game populations and a well run outfit). Allen Day could give you a reference for that one (I think the hunt is about 8K USD for elk & goat, but I could be out to lunch). There are a number of others as well. Heck, if you booked a hunt with an outfitter I know, they'd probably let me guide you. In any event, I can get you whacks of info if you like. Just ask.

Being a resident of BC is pretty tough sometimes. I have a goat draw this year (lottery type permit, but really low odds, almost everyone that applies gets one), cost me $35 CDN for the lottery ticket and the tag. The draw area is about 60km from my house. I shot a 9" billy in the same area in 1999(which happens to be in the territory of the outfitter I refer to above). Not to rub it in or anything.

Canuck

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Canuck,
I hope you are not out to lunch on the goat-elk combo. That sounds like a deal to good to be true. I will look into it. Thanks.

------------------
RAB

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
RAB,

It looks as though I did have my head at least part way up my a55. The '99/2000 rate for an elk/goat combo with the outfitter to whom I was refering, was $9250 USD. So I wasn't too far off, but hey, every buck makes a difference, eh?

I also checked a few other local outfitters rates out, and you can get a Mt. Goat hunt for $5500 to $6500 USD.

If you would like more details, don't hesistate to e-mail me. I don't know if Ray books for any of these guys, but that could be an option too.

Canuck

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 09-21-2001).]

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Thanks,Canuck, but I am not planning anything right now.

------------------
RAB