New
Find
Notify
Tools

My deer season
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Deer season opened Saturday here in Missouri but due to other commitments I wasn't able to go until today.

My wife went with me for the first time in 4 or 5 years. About ten minutes after sunrise she poked me in the ribs and pointed. A really big doe stepped out of the brush along the creek bottom and I dropped her in her tracks with a shot to the neck with my .25-06 at 230 paces.

After cleaning the deer and washing up in the creek we walked back to my truck and started to leave. When we drove around the house and barn we spotted a doe, two yearlings and a buck in the upper hay field. We turned around and drove back to the bottom field and slipped up through the brush.

The doe and fawns were gone but the buck was still there walking slowly broadside. My wife asked how far and I told her about 350. A second later my .30-06 boomed and the buck hit the ground shot a little high right behind the shoulder. Great shot.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
That is awsome! Any photos? (btw, my friends call me "doctor d")

Just curious, why are you shooting the 25 and the wife the 30? Just preference?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
That is awsome! Any photos? (btw, my friends call me "doctor d")

Just curious, why are you shooting the 25 and the wife the 30? Just preference?

I picked up the nickname @ three different Air Force bases during my career.

Naw, no photos, darn it, I forgot the camera.

Just preference. She likes the -06 cause everything she shoots at drops in its' tracks.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote