Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope in the Snow
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted
[LIST]I shot this guy this morning in a snow storm. 14 3/4 in horns. 200yds with my 270

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ELKMAN2: Great Antelope you got there! Congratulations!
I will be Hunting in snow this weekend - I am afraid! Our season opens Sunday the 9th here in Montana!
I better take my snow camo it looks like!
Again good for you and great job there in the snow!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
My elk season opens the 9th. On the west slope of the Big Horns.It should all be gone by then..shoot straight!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, I'm driving up to Montana for a couple of lopes this weekend. Snow would be ok, rain would be ok. Anything is better than riding my desk here!

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photo Elkman! That is pretty cool, I don't recall ever seeing a trophy antelope photo'd in the snow.

He is a good one!

Congratulations--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Elkman, that is a really neat picture. I always think of antelope hunting as hot and dry - at least it is in Texas and New Mexico.

I leave Friday for the Monday opener in Wyoming, then it's on to Idaho for a muledeer hunt with M1Tanker and Customstox. I've never hunted goats in WY before, so I'm looking forward to it. We're hunting just south of Glenrock and the forecast is for a cool, cloudy opening day there.

I hope to have as much luck as you.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG what part of the state did you draw? I am gonna be up by Cascade with a bud and his son for his first hunt.This is gonna be so much fun helping the young lad take his first goat! Actually I hope to sit back and take a good seat and watch father and son go at it.

Mark D

Cole is gonna use my Kimber SA in 223 with 53 TX

I have 3 doe tags and after he is done I am gonna bat clean up with my 7 Mashburn Super.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice goat thumb I'm having antelope withdrawals myself. I love antelope hunting jump

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nice photo and antelope. Funny how the northern states hunt so much later than the southern states. My antelope hunt was nearly a month ago, and some hunts start in late August. I gotta go north next year, I just gotta!

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forsythe, Miles City, Sidney, Glendive all got about 10" of heavy wet snow. That gumbo is gonna be a real adventure, but I'm still young enough to be stupid enough to go anyway.
Nice speed goat. Congradulations!

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been warm enough that most or all of the snow will be gone. But bring 2 trucks as it's going to be really muddy. Good luck.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Nice picture. Congratulations. That is one thing I've never seen is an antelope in snow.

What bullet did you use?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the 'lope in the snow. Most definately not an every day occassion.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Wow, a Pronghorn in the snow - thats a far cry from the pronghorn I got last week in Arizona when it was 95 degrees at 10 am.

I would take snow rather than that heat anytime.

Nice Buck!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Doc, I used a basic 130gr core-lokt!!! Imagine that and out of a 270 to boot..I would have answered sooner but I was elk hunting, no elk so far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Dobrenski: We Hunted region 700 near Ingomar, Montana!
I should say we fought the GUMBO near Ingomar, Montana!
It was an absolute nightmare with 8" of snow when we got there that was melting, then, it began raining hard Saturday afternoon and continued all night and all the next day - Sunday (the Antelope opener!). It was the worst Hunting conditions I have ever endured while chasing the speed goats! Walking even 100 yards on flat ground (gumbo) was exhausting and going up even small inclines without falling was next to impossible!
The highlight of our Hunt was getting a twice previously unsuccesful Antelope Hunter his first Antelope!
He has called me everyday (long distance!) since we got home to thank me for my help in dragging him across the plains and getting him a nice trophy for his wall!
The Hunt was more like a gumbo assisted demolition derby for vehicles, ATV's and trailers!
We were extremely hard pressed to get our limits of Antelope in 3 dawn to dark misery filled days of Hunting!
I am still scraping gumbo off of my clothing and vacuming them before I dare try to wash the gumbo out of them!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a great photo. I've got a Jones for another speed goat now. A snow hunt sounds cool.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote