Tools

Mt lion shot in selfdefense
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Man walking with wife shoots mountain lion near New Castle
Rocky Mountain News ^ | August 7, 2008 | Phillip Yates

Posted on 08/07/2008 12:35:06 PM PDT by MtnClimber

NEW CASTLE — A man shot and killed a mountain lion north of New Castle Tuesday night after the animal came too close to him and his wife, according to the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

Randy Hampton, a spokesman for the DOW, said the agency received a call about the shooting a little after 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The man and his wife were out for a walk in the area when the mountain lion came out of the brush and was in a "crouch position," Hampton said. The couple's names were not immediately available late Wednesday.

"(The mountain lion) began to approach them," he said. "The husband was carrying a firearm, and he shot and killed the lion as it got really close."

The animal was about 6 feet away from the couple when the man shot it, Hampton said. He added that the couple tried to scare the mountain lion away by screaming at it, but that the animal continued to approach.

(Excerpt) Read more at rockymountainnews.com ...

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Yep, we've got that problem here in California also because no lion hunting is allowed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Fjold
What would happen if that same thing happened in California?
I bet the man would be up on charges over carrying a firearm, destruction of a non huntable animal, on and on, thank god this was in Colorado.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have seen two in the last 3 months. Other folks in the area have also seen them. On another occasion one was found sleeping on a deck, and was very reluctant to leave.

California's ban on hunting mountain lions has resulted in cats that have no fear of humans. This will have serious consequences Frowner

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank God he had a gun! Also knew how to shoot it under pressure. A nother happy ending! Seems to many of these encounters aren't good for the humans now days. Glad I still live in a state where I can carry a gun at will.
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I would have let it get that close before I would have shot it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How heavy is a large mountain lion? Have they always been native to North America? The only cats we have in my part of the world are domestic gone feral. Thankfully they are classified as vermin and can be shot. Unfortunately there are far too many of the shitty creatures around. Good cat = Dead cat!!

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The mountain lion [cougar, puma ,etc] is native to North and South America .The largest I know of was posted here IIRC, 220 lbs ,from BC. Certainly not a feral house cat !! Between not hunting them and continued expansion of people into their normal range conflict has increased. Their typical diet is deer but will take dogs ,cats etc. The Americas also have bobcat, lynx, jaguar and a few others.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a mt.lion, would a typical ccw(380acp, 9mm) with defense ammo kill a large cat? Would it stop a full charge?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9mm would do just fine the 380 as with using it for any defensive purpose one has to be very careful with shot placement.

Sure in the heck would be a rock or hiking staff.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
"typial ccw of 9mm or 380"? Heck I carry a .44 mag or a .45acp. Are you positive you are from Texas?? rotflmo

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mountain lions cannot be hunted with dogs in WA anymore.

I have never seen one, but I found some cat tracks in the snow on my property. The tracks were wider than my hand.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I saw one in the wild when I was a kid, scared the crap out of me.

I heard one while bird hunting when I was in college in Central Texas, scared the crap out of me. Even though I was carrying a 12 ga. I got the hell out of there in a hurry.

You had better be carrying more than a 9mm or hit him in the melon...

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
PDS,

I agree, this guy waited to long to shoot. He was very lucky.............

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Folks need to remember their 3 - S's

Shoot - Shovel - Shutup

Big Grin

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot feral house cats with 380 and 9mm , not impressed.I would NEVER recommend anything other than a 44 mag for mountain lions BOOM!!

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
I have never shot a mt.lion, would a typical ccw(380acp, 9mm) with defense ammo kill a large cat? Would it stop a full charge?

Perry

Cougars are just big puddy-cats.......

.22 rimfires are often the choice for treed lions, but a 32 SW would be just the ticket--it generally doesn't take much to change a lion's mind--a big stick or rock will often do in a pinch.

It is highly unusual for a cougar to act the way it did when it confronted the Colorado couple. Often it turns out to be very old, or a juvenile/sub-adult that ain't having much hunting success.

Casey

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
Mountain lions cannot be hunted with dogs in WA anymore.

I have never seen one, but I found some cat tracks in the snow on my property. The tracks were wider than my hand.

Actually, lions can be hunted with dogs in 5 counties in Washington (by permit drawing) and any county who wishes to allow hound hunting may join the hound hunting program by meeting a few criteria with WDFW.....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
METE - "I would NEVER recommend anything other than a 44 mag for mountain lions."

Mete, a .41 Magnum, a .45 Colt, or a .357 Magnum will do just fine. I prefer either my .41 Magnum or .45 Colt.

Mountain lions are not that terribly hard to break down. Cool

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote