Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Thunder Chickens!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
In keeping up with the Texas boys ability to represent (Kansas Thunder Chickens thread Wink), a couple of old Dugga Boy hunters had a pretty good day afield yesterday hunting my lease.

My friend Dave Fulson and I put the smack down on 3 nice birds after about a 5 year hiatus from turkey hunting for both of us. Seems like things just kept getting in the way of making it out during the spring time for me and I know Dave is swamped with his TV and DVD production duties.

But we proved to ourselves yesterday that we still have it and had one hell of a great time together doing so. Anytime you're ready Dave, give me a shout and we'll continue keeping the thunder chicken population in check!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a great time,but I thought them Texas Thunder Chickens required a 300 mag. Smiler

Posts: 414 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
No man. Just a 10GA!! BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother and I were deer hunting in the Hill country one time and saw some turkeys off in distance and decided to put a sneak on them. Mind you we had never hunted turkeys before. We started crawling and duck walking through the sage brush and about 50 yards into it all hell broke loose as a flock of Texas Thunder Chickens erupted all around us.Scared us so bad neither one of us even fired a shot. We eventually got a couple. Great fun, think I enjoyed it more than the deer hunting.

Posts: 414 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
It's some serious fun when it comes together.

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Not bad, Huckleberry! Wink

And appears to me you did it without "guide, tracker, skinner, and cook".

dancing

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjbull:
Not bad, Huckleberry! Wink

And appears to me you did it without "guide, tracker, skinner, and cook".

dancing

jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great birds Todd! They almost look like Easterns, but I can not tell the difference between Easterns and Rio.

Love the pictures.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Nice set of birds you got there fellas!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feels good to know I have not forgot how to "talk turkey." I have hunted two days this spring, and we have put six birds in the salt, so to speak.
Todd and I just had a hell of a fine day boys. To be in good turkey country with a guy who enjoys it as much as I do, well that is about as good as it comes. We plan a return engagement to settle a score with one longbeard that gave us the slip, and I am counting the minutes...

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Nice Birds Guys
Looks like a lot of fun!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Me too Dave. And there's lots of ground out there we haven't covered yet.

Garrett grilled some of our turkey breast last night for dinner. Damn good stuff!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Solid work gents!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Todd

Dont you know that the long time PH Herisy Sibley advocates a 410 3 in for Turkeys-

its all about "shot" placement--

stir

sofa

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Todd

Dont you know that the long time PH Herisy Sibley advocates a 410 3 in for Turkeys-

its all about "shot" placement--

stir

sofa

jumping

No doubt about it; I'm just a confirmed "Big Bore" fan!

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd and I are going to go back this Sat to settle a score with a big gobbler who pulled our pants down last time. Can't wait!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thunder chickens?

I have always called sage grouse thunder chickens, since they make that booming sound.

Posts: 33 | Location: Lander, Wyoming | Registered: 31 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Todd and I are going to go back this Sat to settle a score with a big gobbler who pulled our pants down last time. Can't wait!

I'm blaming that one on the WIND. Lord knows it wasn't our fault! sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome birds! Season opens here this week, can't wait for next weekend!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Well boys, Dave and I had a good season. We hunted 3 times over a 2 week period. I'm proud to say that we never got skunked but yesterday was a tough one.

Last week, as we got out of the truck at daylight, gobblers were booming in all directions and we thought we'd be tagged out in an hour or so. Turned out not to be the case as the wind came up and we struggled. The birds just went silent within minutes of flying down. Dave passed a couple of Jakes that he called in close and we thought the day was over at that point. But we did manage a youngster by spot and stalk along a road, then calling him in for a long shot with the 10ga. BOOM

However, yesterday was an altogether different story. No gobbles at daybreak. Nothing. Silence. Chickens, dogs, and crows in the distance but no shock gobbles. It was as if the longbeards sent out a ranch wide memo: All Gobbling Stops Today!! We proceeded to cover three very large tracts of land, calling every 100 yards or so. Cast a huge net but it was like fishing in the dead sea.

We had called it quits and were within about 40 yards of the truck when Dave suggested we attempt to call in a few crows. He started in aggressively with the crow call and almost immediately a tom boomed just on the other side of the truck. We made a quick set up and called two birds into about 20 yards where Dave successfully took one. So we kept the skunk in the bag.

While putting all the gear away, Dave spotted something moving though the brush with the binos. Suddenly, he announced it was a sounder of pigs. Upwind and unaware of our presence, they walked up, stopped, and presented a several pig deep, broadside shot for a good couple of minutes. Unfortunately, I had abandoned my earlier plans to bring along the 500NE double rifle and all we were armed with were turkey loaded shotguns. Man, I'm still kicking myself over that one as there are few things I enjoy more than shooting pigs.

With the birds reaction yesterday, we think the season is pretty much over this year. But we had a hell of a good time chasing them around and never got skunked in the process. We walked more of that property than I've seen in the 3 years of being a lease member. I saw some great areas to move my deer stands into but man am I ever sore today, and not just about missing the opportunity on the pigs!! Smiler