New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Big Thank You!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Shattering my ankle not only screwed up my hunting seasons but my daughter's as well. I had her a plains doe mule deer ML tag, and season started a week after I shattered my ankle. She was more worried about me than the hunting though and never once complained about losing her tag to my injury.

We had planned to take our annual OK white tail hunt as well, but I still don't travel well for long periods in the car. So my buddy Snellstrom offered to take her this year as he and his youngest boy were going to be hunting with Graybird again as well. Snellstrom and his son picked her up the Saturday morning before Thanksgiving and off they went, leaving me to feel sad as I'd be missing my Daddy/Daughter hunt again for the second time in four hunting seasons.

It was a successful hunt for my daughter, she managed to tag out with two does and a buck by Monday evening. Shooting her second and largest buck to date with her trusty .300 Savage M700 Classic.

I owe Snellstrom and Graybird a big Thank You for taking my daughter hunting, and giving her a few days away from my grumpiness. Sometimes the pain gets to me and makes me a bear to live with, but through it all my daughter has been a huge help taking care of her old man. This trip was a well deserved and earned break from her normal routine.

Thanks again buddies for making my little girl a successful huntress!

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your daughter and all involved. This is what a "hunting community" is all about!!!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will "pay it forward" someday. Good job by Snellstrom and Graybird!
And congratulations to your daughter, obviously she was taught well.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Still need to work on that smile more!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of story we like to see turn out well.

Great job all of you and congrats to the girl. I know it hurts, but, facing the fact she don't really need you along to get the job done is something that should make you proud too.

Good luck with the ankle and thanks much for sharing with us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:

My daughter is like that doesn't want you to know how excited she is. Big Grin

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to all involved.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Huntress!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I've heard somewhere that those two Colorado boys "graybird and Snellstrom " are good guys

Tell the young lady congratulations from the Missouri family

That's a really good looking buck

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
It was a real pleasure to take her on that trip, she is a great young lady!
I think I may have had as much fun as the kids on this trip, it is satisfying to see our kids growing up and becoming not only good hunters and good shots but really good kids!
Looking forward to Graybirds boys in another year or 2 on these trips.
This stuff is big fun!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:

My daughter is like that doesn't want you to know how excited she is. Big Grin

She used to smile, but doesn't think it's cool anymore. She's a little self conscious of a slight gap in her teeth, but the dentist said to wait on braces a little longer as it seems to be closing on its own. I just can't wait until she's out of the cool phase of her pre teen and teenage years, and I get my little girls smile back.

I was also happy to hear Snell's boy was finally able to kill something with that pawn shop junker I sold him. I think every kid should start out with a cheap $350 pawn shop rifle, makes them really appreciate things later on when they finally get their first new rifle. Wink

I hope to see him whack an elk with that rifle someday.

BOOM

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snellstrom offered to take her this year as he and his youngest boy were going to be hunting with Graybird

That is pretty darn cool that your pals stepped in to help you out in your time of need!

beer

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to all involved!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Best example of "Hunting community" I've seen in a while. tu2

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Good job fellas! That's a fine buck for the young huntress - well done.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Great job all involved!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! It is great to hear not only about a young hunters success but also the generosity of those who helped to make it possible.

I look back at pictures of my daughters smile in pictures when she was younger. I have one etched in my mind with a big bluegill she caught. There is something about the smile of an adolescent daughter, they just light up your world.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic and the 300 Savage brings back a lot of old memories of elk hunts in my youth, it was popular back then and considered a magnum around our camp of 30-30s...I consider it the perfect whitetail rifle, but wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk or moose with it today. It worked back then and still would today.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hats off to your buddies who stepped up to help a young lady get to enjoy the outdoors! Well done to all...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic.

Over there in the Africa Forum on the Facebook thread there is all this hoopla about what hunters should do.

Hunters should do this.

I am happy for you and your daughter.

Snellstrom and Graybird tu2

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote