New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How far to lead a running deer.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Download and look at the program "PointBlank" which is free at www.huntingnut.com

I glanced at the data for a similar load to yours and if the deer was going 20 mph the program says the lead would be about five feet.

It turns out that it's not easy to figure out this stuff when it happens so fast.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LD Hunter

Your system works and it's a good one as I read it. I suspect you pass on a few 20 mph movers at the longer distances.

Here's how it calculates out.

308 Win at 2850 fps.

40 yards at 7 mph the broadside deer moves 5.5" before impact.

40 yards at 20 mph the broadside deer moves 15" before impact.

120 yards at 7 mph the broadside deer moves 16" before impact.

120 yards at 20 mph the broadside deer moves 46" before impact.

IF the deer was moving at any angle less that the 90 degree broadside the lead values will be less, at 45 degrees the leads are 1/2 what I've posted.

Your method is good in that is shows that for short shooting distances and or lower speeds there is not too much to worry about when shooting moving deer (or moving whatever).

To all.

In general, a deer is a pretty long critter, about 4' from neck and chest junction to bung hole. This is a lot of critter to get a round into when it's moving. A modern rifle round will easily cover 100 yards in less than .125 seconds. A full out running deer (guess at 30mph) can cover 65 inches of ground in that time period...if it's running at 90 degrees to the hunter all 65 of these inches are shot displacement but if it's running at at 45 degrees only 1/2 of these 65" or 32" are shot displacement.

What this indicates is that many folks that shoot deer on the run at relatively short distances (100 yards and less) stand a very good chance of hitting it somewhere in the body. Only a very fast moving deer traveling 90 degrees to the hunter has a good chance of escaping without a bullet hole if the hunter holds on the front edge of the deer for high speed movers.

Once the distance to the deer becomes greater than 150 yards or so there is going to be a high percentage of misses. A 30 mph deer will now cover 94" in the .18 seconds (rifle projectile speed of 2600 fps) the bullet takes to get there. If it's moving at 90 degrees to the hunter it'll take a 2 deer length (96") lead to hit it, if it's moving at 45 degrees it'll take a one deer length (48") lead to hit it properly. Of course if the deer is just trotting along at 10 mph all these 150 yard lead values become 1/3.

So, I guess if you don't want to calculate leads and still want to shoot running deer, keep the shots within 100 yards on the less than broadside full out run deer.

Here's a little Power Point Presentation about moving targets using a calibrated reticle, might be of interest to other scope owners too.

Moving Targets

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Someone stated above "Failure to follow through is the single biggest reason people miss moving targets". I disagree, especially here.

Failure to PRACTICE is the single biggest reason - and the best way for you to figure out how far ahead you need to lead. You'll be guaranteed to kill more moving game if you practice on moving targets first.

I won't question your hunting ethics or reasons for attempting the shots, but I hunt strictly with single shot handguns, rifles and shotguns so I can appreciate the need to make the first shot count.

Good luck.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede 44Mag.
Answer: Depends how fast your swing is.
For my speed of swing about 1 1/4 deer length @ 100 yards.

There is only one technique for CONSISTENT success in field shooting.
That is the same technique you are supposed to use when shooting a duck or for that matter any moving target.
The way to understand the principle of shotgunning (or shooting moving targets with the rifle ) is to start reading up on the subject. There are fine books on field shooting and clay target shooting ( Stanburry& Carlisle, Michael Yardley etc.).
After that, retire to a skeet or sporting clays range and find a kind person and a seasoned shooter with an analytical mind/eye to monitor your shooting and explain you WHY you are missing targets.
Practize lots of different clay targets( I recommend first skeet to get the principles of shotgunning, then do trap, then go over to sporting clays)
Then apply the same principle to running big game at moderate ranges.
I do not agree with Saeed's method, which sounds a bit like sustainable lead shooting. It can be applied to some clay target games with a limited variety of target presentations, where participants eventually memmorize leads for the different options. And.............in clay target shooting you can become very successfull with this method as Saeed proved.
In field shooting however this technique goes to pot, since so many field shots are entirely different as your your typical skeet or trap target presentations. Different distance/angle/speed. It shows quite often in the field with experienced clay target sustainable lead shooters having great problems in the field on live game.

Posts: 101 | Location: Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of running deer because we hunt deer with hounds in north Florida. The deer I'm shooting are usually bouncing along at about 7-20mph and are from 40-120yds from me usually running broadside. They are rarely running flat out with their bellies close to the ground.

I always hold on the front shoulder and hit somewhere between the high lungs and the liver. I swing but don't really follow through. I never hit the shoulder and consider that a huge waste of meat.

My system is easy to use and allows the hunter to just take the shot and not have his/her head cluttered with a lot of doubt, calculations, and uncertainty.

The last thing you want to be doing is to be thinking about speed, lead, angles, etc. when you're taking a shot at a running deer. You need to have all that stuff figured out in advance and just pick the spot on the deer and take the shot when the time actually comes.

I automatically account for the bounding type run I see by trying to catch the deer as they start to jump again and my bullet impact is as they start up.

In my experience the guys that worry a lot about lead and technique miss a lot and the guys that develop a system and never vary from it usually get their deer with one shot.

I'll take a line from Star Wars. Let the force be with you.

By the way for the last 6 years I've used a Remmy Model 7SS in 308 with a Simmons 2.8-10 Aetec and 150gr Partition running along at 2850fps.

This year have moved "up" to a Model 7SS Magnum in 300SAUM with a Simmons 3.8.12x for a little more "authority" on wild hogs which I've been hunting more and more. My load is now a 165gr Partition moving along right at 3000fps. I also am finding that my spot and stalk techniques when not dog hunting are demanding much longer typical shots.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Running shots are a matter of practice involving forward hold and follow through (same as with a shotgun with the difference that you must concentrate on your sights). In this country drive hunting with hounds is the most popular and all shots are running. With practice, you'll get quite proficient at it. This season so far, I shot 9 times, missed a fox, a small boar and a roedeer + killed 3 boars (incl. a double), 2 roedeers and a large 12 pointer red stag. In the given example of a running deer at 125 yds., I'd lead by a good length for the first shot and increase the lead for the second shot in case of a miss (BTW, I shoot a double rifle in 9,3x74R).

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If you shout "MAW" many deer will stop or slow to a walk. I always yell at them when they are running.

The deer seen me that is why they took off running across the field. I did not think about hollering at them, but if I get a chance I will try next time. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

If you shout "MAW" many deer will stop or slow to a walk. I always yell at them when they are running.

I don't think this works every time, depends on how bad the deer wants to get lost! I have had success with a short, loud, sharp whistle, if there is any curiosity left in the animal, it will stop very briefly, take a peek, then go again. If you are not ready, at least you get a good visual of what you missed!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I didn't shoot at running deer, I might as well leave my bullets at home.

We do a lot of driving (man or dogs) in Ontario, and I also prefer to still hunt over all other methods. Therefore, most of the deer I encounter are moving in some way.

If I saw a deer running hard at 125 yds, I'd pass on the shot. One of the deer I shot last year, was at the longest range I've ever shot a deer (225 yds), and it just started to walk as I pulled the trigger. I hit it too far back.

I don't use a scope, preferring open sights when I could see, but use a red dot now. If I feel I have to hold my front sight/dot any farther forward than just touching the chest of the animal, I feel I don't have a shot. I base much of this on judgement of the situation (range, speed, terrain, etc.), and I guess that is based upon my years of experience shooting moving animals.

In my youth, I used to practice on moving targets (the rolling tire thing), but I believe I developed my "style" of shooting in the field. Its probable that shooting ruffed grouse and jumpshooting puddle ducks off beaver ponds were major contributing factors as well.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote