New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Antelope Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, we just got back last Sunday night from our annual trip to New Mexico for Pronghorns.
Another good year, lot's of unsuccesful stalks, and two really good ones! I shot a nice buck with a lot of hook back and curl after the cutters, which were 8+ inches up there-- 15 1/2" worth--green scored 78. He is really a handsome guy. My partner hasn't sent me his pics yet, but he killed a great buck that green scored 79 2/8, a 16 1/4" stud, also a really handsome, clean buck, not a flaw on him.

My buck was over a ridge all alone, but there was another decent buck and about 15 does 300 or so yards directly to the right of him. As we were stalking my buck, the ones to the right could see us, and even though we were about 200 yards left of my buck (over 500 yards from the other ones) they were getting really skittish. My buck started walking away from the other guys and getting further from us, so I set up and lasered him at 356 yards. I got in a steady sitting position on the sticks, and got ready to go, but he dropped in a little swale, and all I had was a neck shot--he stopped dead still, and then turned quartering away, I settled the crosshairs in at the base of his neck, and knew if I went a little right it would still be a great killing shot. Before we even heard the impact, the buck dropped, seemingly at the second the trigger broke! I love the DRT shots!

The 6.5x284 did the trick, the hornady 129 grain SST is a great Antelope pill. The rig is one Jim Brockman built me with his own custom laminated stock, Lilja Barrel and Swaro 4x12x50 in Talleys on custom Brockman bases. It's a bit heavy for chasing Antelope, but I've got one in a McMillan Edge stock that will make the next trip!

Here's a couple of pics of him.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Good job! -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hey, congrats! Thanks for the post. We'll be in TX by Oct. 1. Our antelope season starts the 4th.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great buck. I also used a 6.5x284 on my last antelope hunt.

It's nice to have the confidence in the gun and load to where you don't have to hesitate when you need to take a tough shot.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Nice shot on a nice antelope!

Congrats,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats on another fun hunt!!!

Good shot!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll try and post a pic of the rig later, it was so far from the road, that I took my rifle back to the truck, got some water and other gear to handle the buck and left the rifle there. I really enjoy chasing these guys, and I feel they make such a handsome trophy!

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Excellent Fish. A very handsome trophy indeed. This year was my first experience pursuing pronghorn antelope. They are truly one of North Americas most striking trophies. I'm getting a pedestal mount done of mine. It seemed a shame not to encourage inspection of the animal from 360 degrees.

What incredible eyesight and speed they possess! Their horns are fibrous like hair and very different from sheep, african antelope or antlered game.

I enjoyed hunting them very much.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice fish.

What part of the state? I will be in Socorro County in two weeks trying for a booner or not! Rut over in the area you hunted?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Nice buck. I'm headed out next week for a NW Colorado pronghorn hunt. I took my NM buck with my 6mm Rem. This time I'm using my 7mm Rem Mag with 140 gr Accubonds. Don't need that much gun but it's my favorite rifle.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big guy, I totally agree with you. I always look forward to chasing them around.

muygrande, the ranch owner says rut has been simmering down since last week. We hunt about 1 1/2 hours east of Albuquerque, near a little town called Moriarty. Always plenty of quality animals, but always seem to be just shy of the B&C min. The first one I took out there went 81 7/8 though-- 1/8" shy Mad

Rob1, I hear you, I always default to a gun I like! The 7 will do great if you get a long shot and some wind!

Good luck to ya'll still getting to chase 'em!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt. I never drew when I was a resident, but bought a 243 for the job. I always thought antelope were the best looking animal in the lower 48.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Excellent job!!!!
Great shot, in fact an OUTSTANDING shot. I love reading a success story like yours.
Thanks for the posting,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don and 390, I wish I had the resources to hunt them more than once a year....I may try a different locale next year, it's just hard to leave NM, the rancher we hunt with is very nice, and there are always good quality animals--but the rancher is forced to provide landowner tags, which this year, all 8 that he is required to provide to the state, ended up in the hands of ONE guide! Tell me there isn't some bullshit going on with the G&F somewhere for that to happen, it's physically impossible best the rancher could tell.

The problem with that deal is that the 'guide' gets to tromp all over the ranchers land 2 days ahead of time, and then ends up with his helpers and the state hunters getting all up in the middle of areas that the state hunters on their own didn't go into in years previous, so we could hunt in relative peace in years prior to this one......always seems to be something Confused

We'll see---Don