THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    GUIDES, SEMIGUIDED, SELFGUIDED, UNGUIDED HUNTS?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GUIDES, SEMIGUIDED, SELFGUIDED, UNGUIDED HUNTS?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm writing something about the opportunities of seld guided hunts in the wolrd. In many sites of american oufitters, I have fond the definitions semiguided, self guided, unguided hunts. Someone can help me to undestand the differences between the different types?

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll try and help A simi guided hunt is having someone show you where to go hunting and give you tips on how to hunt the area and maybe even help set up camp and do camp stuff but does not hutn with you.

A self guided(might inclued a drop camp) and a unguided hunt I belive are the same thing you do every thing yourself.

As each of this differant and each person might have there own idea. If going on a simi guide hunt or a drop camp hunt make sure you get in writing what the person you are paying money for is going to provide.

It is really hard to get to the place to hunt with out food thinking you they were going to provide it for you. Ending up with a tarp and one pot instead of a tent and cooking gear. Buyer beware.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how this might apply to other states or areas: But if you do book a unguided or semi-guided, sometimes refered to as a "drop-camp" hunt be sure to inquire about the licensing of the person helping you out. State licenses, US Forest Service permits, BLM permits etc.

Montana and I'd assume other states possibily as well, has some strict regulations as to what constitutes "guiding" a hunter. If the services privided meet those guidelines then you are being guided, no matter what your contract says. Montana law also provides that the "client" as well as the "guide" are responcible for any illlegal activity and can both be fined for "illegal guiding".

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw that in Alaska ther' are many outfitter offering self guided hunts for specially for caribou

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was a licensed outfitter for a while, and two of my offerings were self-guided (drop camps) and semi-guided. Self guided is obvious. I supplied a fully equiped camp, you provide your own food and personal gear, I send a packer by at least every other day, which almost always worked out to be every day, and I made suggestions on where and how to hunt within the area you could realistically expect to cover. My semi-guided hunts included all meals and one guide in camp to work with everyone. This meant the guide, usually me, not only made suggestions, but went out with a few of the hunters every day and packed meat when needed. These were pretty successful hunts and a good value for my clients. The biggest thing was that the clients were usually experienced hunters, in reasonable shape, willing to work hard toward their own success, and had positive attitudes. Those that didn't were often disappointed no matter the outcome of the hunt. In over 20 years of guiding I met very few folks I wouldn't want to share a camp with again.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobra d
thanks for the infos.
I went to Aspen few year ago and I think is a beautiful place.

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mario:

You forgot MisGuided.....

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote