New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Australia.
 Login/Join

<monz>
posted
I wonder a little about hunting in Australia.
What game besides Wild Boar is recommendable for a good trip. I also wonder a bit about the prices compared to hunting in Africa.
Daily rates, hunting taxes, trophy fees, gun laws e.t.c.

<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Monz
In Australia you can hunt/shoot
Camels
Donkeys
Deer
Water Buffalo
Pigs
Dogs
Foxes
Rabbits
Ducks
Goats
Cats

In my Australian Shooter magazine there is an ad for Tropical Hunting Safaris they have a web address
http://www.tropicalsafaris.com.au

I personally have not used an organised mob such as this so can't comment on prices or value.I just give you their url so you may ask them yourself.They were the only mob to have a web url.
The others that advertise in the mag only give phone numbers.

Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au
http://deafdog.turboweb.net.au

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Monz

Hope you can hunt "down under".

In addition to deafdog's list there are also:

Banteung cattle in the Nerthern Territory (a species similar to Gaur cattle);
feral donkeys
hare.
kangaroos, euros and wallabies

There are several deer species: red deer, fallow deer, plus several Asian species: Sambar deer, Axis or Chital deer, Rusa deer (both Javan and Moluccan), and Hog deer.

Australia is about the only place you can still hunt Hog deer locally. In South Eastern Victoria. Sambar hunting is difficult but rewarding.

Most hunts are sold as packages a integrated daily fee and trophy fee, but usually additional animals can be taken for extra trophy fees.

As a rule of thumh, a 3 to 5 day deer hunt will cost about US$1500 to $US2000. Buffalo in the NT as a guess about $US2500 to $US4500. I will look and see if these estimates are still reasonable.

Good value in Australia is hunting feral game ie pigs, goats etc. Generally there is no laws on bag limits, though outfitters many limit numbers taken.

Most international hunters come to Australia and hunt water buffalo and if they can afford it, a Banteung bull. Many will also try to take a sambar deer trophy (outfitter will need to do a lot of pre-scouting). Plus a feral game hunt, duck and geese shooting if in season, fishing (eg barramundi), some roos etc.

Many will combine a "Top End" hunt (ie Northern Northern Territory) with a hunt or two in New Zealand as well for deer (red, fallow, sambar, sika, whitetail, wapitit), tahr and chamois.

Good Luck

------------------
John
alias Nitro

NitroExpress.com
communities.msn.com/NitroExpressCom

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted

Hi Monz,

The guys above have given a really good run down of what's available and how best to hunt in Australia.

Personally, (obviously I'm a little biased here)I think Australia has some of the best hunting options in the world (not in the availability of game - but in other areas).

In Aus you can camp out under the stars anywhere (without having to worry about the wild animals - unlike Africa!). In Aus you mix with the locals without having to worry about them ripping you off or murdering you (unlike Africa), and in Aus you can find hunting outfitters that will really look after you without 'expecting' tips at the end of the day (unlike Africa).

The best attraction about hunting in Aus is just how far your money will go over here. Our exchange rate is great at the moment for tourists coming here and you get soooo much more for your money. Yes, Africa is cheap too (if you know where to go), but Australia is a winner in that regard.

Yes its a fairly long flight to Aus (20 hours from Europe)..but only 6-8 hours longer than Africa. Africa is continually known for its security problems and incredibly long flight delays - unlike Australia which is the opposite!

Don't get me wrong, I have hunted in Africa years ago and thats a pretty good experience (especially as your money will often help the poor locals), however you are generally looking at big $$$ for the average hunt compared to Australia.

Also I would suggest you check-out:

www.australianhunting.net

Theres a chap called Matt Graham (who has a link on that web page). Apparently he's one of the best and reasonably priced guides in Aus. (No, I am not the same Matt!).

Good hunting,
Ciao, Matt

------------------
[+]

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Monz
If you would like to email me I can put you in touch with a good guide. 7 out of the top 10 water buff have come from his area. He also has pigs, donkeys,scrub bulls and Barra.

acbakes@austarnet.com.au

Bakes

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
I too can vouch for Matt Grahame at www.australianhunting.net
I've just been away with Matt (not for Buff though). He is very professional and has access to some awesome property including a million acre Buff concession.

He also does fishing etc. Note while Buff hunting you can also fish for the Baramundi. A great eating and fighting fish found in both Salt and freshwater systems of Northern Australia.