THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Alberta black bear hunt ( photos ) video link added

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alberta black bear hunt ( photos ) video link added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of garretttodd
posted
I just returned from one of the most enjoyable hunts. About two and half years ago a friend of mine Von Evans asked me if I wanted to go bear hunting. So we put down a deposit and began the long wait and the build up. After two and a half years there is a lot of build up. We had booked our hunt with Wally Mack of W and L guideservice in High Level Alberta. The first step was to figure out how to get to High Level. We looked at flying to Edmonton and then takeing a small plane to High Level. The flight on the small plane was going to run $780 a piece with out bag fees. There were 7 of us going so we decided to rent a 15 passenger van for $2000.00.

We arived in Edmonton around noon and picked up our van. After a few moments of looking at the van and looking at all our gear we convinced the rental company to let us take the back two rows out of the van and loaded all of our gear.

After getting loaded we headed north to Peace River. We spent the night at a small hotel and headed north to High Level. We stoped at the liquor store to pick up some supplies and were surprised by the cost of beer. We drove about 8 miles north of town to bear camp.

Bear camp was comprised of wall tents with wood stoves and cots. The kitchen and showers had power via a generator and some of the nicest people you have ever met. We ate lunch and got a saftey speech and it was off to the stands. The stand were ladder stands over barrels and always a dead beaver.

I had never been black bear hunting and was not sure what to excpect. I brought my bow and a my great grandfathers 1886 .33wcf and wanted to take one with each since we all had two tags.
We set out for the stands at 4 pm and were to be picked up by 11pm. The anticipation began to fade a bit after a few hours on the stand. I hate taking an animal on the first day but we were told to judge them by how they compared to the drum. A bear that was taller than the second rung on the barrel was a six footer and a bear near the top was a seven footer. As I sat the long lasting dusk began to set in. I had begun to become insensitive to rustleing leaves because the squirels had been having a turf war below my feet all afternoon. I'm actually surprised I turned around at the sound of a stick breaking but I did. There he was a huge black shape moving toward the bait and me since my stand was directly in his path. He moved up to the base of my stand and stopped. He looked up at my stand and stared at me. He let out a low gutteral growl. He then walked towards the bait and as he walked past the barrel, his back was even with the top of the barrel. I new he was a shooter. He moved over to the beaver and got up on his hind legs and ripped of the bottom half of the beaver. I could hear the bones crunch as he ate it in about three bites. While he was snacking on the beaver I eased my bow off the rest and readied myself for the shot. He headed back to the barrel and stood up and put his front feet on top of the barrel giving me a perfect broad side shot. I let the arrow fly and he bit at where it had passed through. He ran about ten feet and began to walk and moved off into the scrub. I sat there looking at the luminock questioning my shot. after a minute i heard the death moan. I called Wally and he said sit tight maybe something else might come in. It didn't. After awhile I could hear the four wheeler. We tracked it out about 75yds and there he laid. It was a real struggle to get it up on the quad. We loaded it back on the truck and I knew it was a good bear.

The next morning we loaded it on the quad for a photo op.

and then it was on to the skinning table.

I was amazed at how human there paws looked when skinned.

after we skinned it. We hung it to measure. It measured out at 6'11" from nose to tail. Not bad for my first black bear on the first night.

I then proceeded to hunt for four more nights srring lots of bears but none that tickled my fancy. On the last night I was sitting not worried about taking another bear. I was happy with my trophy. As i sat I heard sticks Breaking and saw the dark shapes moving through the trees. A nice six footer popped out and headed to the bait. He kept looking back behind him. I could see another shape back in the brush he charged in and the other bear bolted. I could see that he was a good sized bear and he was all black even his nose. He had long black fur. As he moved to the barrels I raised the .33wcf and eased the hammer back. As he turned broadside I but the colorado sights on his chest and squeezed. He bolted straight for the stand and fell twenty yards behind me, moaned and went still. I had done what I hoped. Taken two good bears, one with a bow and one with a hundered year old rifle.

That night we skinned him and he measured 6'8"

One Of the guys we hunted with, Von Evans SR. scored with a monster that measured 7'11"

All in all our party of 8 hunters saw a total of 58 bears in six nights and all took two bears. Our guides were great hard working people. The food was good. I can't wait to go back. I would highly recomend to everyone, get out to the bear woods

Those who pound their swords into plowshares will be plowing for those of us who don't

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort worth, Texas | Registered: 10 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt in Alberta.Hope you are coming back soon. What method did you use to measure these bears?

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of garretttodd
posted Hide Post
after skinning we hung them by their nose on a tree and measured nose to tail

Those who pound their swords into plowshares will be plowing for those of us who don't

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort worth, Texas | Registered: 10 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
That first bear of yours is great!

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you guys had a ball and made memories to last a lifetime.
Thanks for the pix and great report.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Good job. clap

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like a pretty decent first bear hunt!

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 893 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Pics and stories!!!!!Congrats. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How'd you like them 'skeeters?

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of garretttodd
posted Hide Post
Skeeters were about the size of sparrows but once the thermacell kicked in it was smooth sailing.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Please forgive my ignorance but why the beaver?

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of garretttodd
posted Hide Post
Bears in that area love to eat beavers... I know how that sounds.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
great hunt!

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip, and congrats to you all. That one bear is a corker!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of garretttodd
posted Hide Post
Here is the link for the video of the one I took with the bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erjhb9su5JI