Find
Notify
Tools

Man kills bear in self defense
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
From keep and bear arms

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MD: Man shoots bear in self-defense
Submitted by: Bruce W. Krafft
There are 3 comments on this story
Post Comments | Read Comments

"Maryland Natural Resources Police said Friday they will not charge an Amish Road man who shot a bear after it charged him and his wife and then attempted to come through a window after the couple sought refuge inside their home Wednesday evening."

"'They had every right to do what they did,' said Clarissa Harris, a biologist with the Maryland Wildlife and Heritage Service. 'It is appropriate to defend yourself or your family or your livestock.'" ...

"The bear then attempted to pull an air conditioning unit out of the window frame as the wife held onto the unit from inside."

"The husband grabbed a shotgun, loaded it with No. 4 pellets and shot through the window at the bear, according to Turner."

Posts: 19422 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Any chance this bear was tested for rabies? Sounds a bit unusual to me, especially the air cond. tug-o-war. Didn't realize the MD summer was that hot this year.

We have a number of "home invasion" bears every year here in NY. Unfortunately, most of them are the result of becoming too accustomed to humans because they are either feeding them directly, through bird feeders, compost piles, garbage, pet foods left outside or barbeque grills with food left on them. Once they lose the fear of humans and houses, they quickly learn how to find the kitchen. This only reinforces the positive aspects of home invasions and ultimately a bear-human interaction results, usually with the bear losing out.

I heard of one recently that is likely to go 500-600 lbs. - really likes breaaking in to houses. Unfortunately, it looks like a homeowner or the conservation officers will probably be forced to shoot it before a hunter gets a crack at it this season.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It so happens that this bear did test positive for rabies. This particular incident personally involved me as our state health lab was involved in the testing of this bear. To my knowledge, this is the first bear that the state has tested for rabies in my 24 year career. The local paper's version of the story can be read here:

http://www.times-news.com/archivesearch/local_story_247103843.html

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
A rabid bear is the stuff nightmares are made of. Good on the guy for putting an end to that bear before it did anyone any harm.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote