New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAKO vs. BRNO
 Login/Join

<PCH>
posted
I�m thinking of selling my two Sako Finnbears (308 & 375 with McMillan stock) and replacing them with a Brno ZG 47 in 30-06. The Brno will have a 2-pos M70 safety and a McMillan or Brown stock installed. The reason is that I want a mauser action with a reliable safety that will stand up to abuse, mud and ice and still function. And I don�t need the 375 anyway.

Am I nuts doing this or what??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Peter, you are being far too logical here!

Personally I think one should only BUY rifles and never SELL them, but that isn't so practical in Sweden with the gun laws.

And since when did NEED come into gun ownership? "Want" is the operative word!

Seriously, a Mauser (especially one of the nice BRNO ones) with (my favourite!) TWO position safety in the boring but reliable 30-06 is impossible to argue against.

However, since I never claimed to be logical myself, I just might take that poor excuse for .375 off your hands! Hmmmmmm....

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that is a good plan...better yet get a Brno Mod. 21 or 22, thats an even better gun....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<K9>
posted
I can't say if your nuts or not as I hunt with a ZG 47 in 9,3x62 housed in a mcmillian classic stock
The 30-06 is a very good caliber for a "do everything" rifle for Sweden and I would used it if I weren't so fond of the 9.3!
K9

<PCH>
posted
Ray,
Why is the 21 or 22 a better rifle?

John,
If you're interested let me know. I'll be coming down to Ume� in a few weeks. IS your 358 finished yet?

K9,
Do you kow how much your ZG 47 weighs?? And how high is the comb of the stock

<Mats>
posted
Two Sako's for sale, ey..? Hmm... If I rob the bank I can buy 'em both AND fix the Porsche, AND get a new mountainbike, AND finish that YZ 490 Super Motard project of mine...

Then all I need is a girlfriend!

-- Mats

<K9>
posted
Hi!
As best as I can remember my ZG 47 (with original metal, Mcmillian classic and a 1" Pachmyr deaccelerator) weighs 3250 grams. The weight will change a little bit now as I�m having the stock shortened about 17 mm but not by much. It is comfortable to shoot with and I can use the open sights if I press my face to the stock real hard � some thinks this will hurt but I haven�t felt that yet! With a scope I get more than enough support!
I like the stock so much that I�ve kept it while selling the rifle I originally put it in. You will have to modify it a little bit but not much. The bottom metal on the ZG 47 is a little bit longer (actually the magazine well) than on an FN Mauser. You also have to take out material under the tang to be able to fit the trigger.

Good luck!!

K9

<OTTO>
posted
It may be cheaper to build one on a VZ-24 action and then have the safety modified. Then again why noy a CZ-550? Everything you want is already there at a reasonable price too.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You can't do any better than a ZG-47 except for possibly a pre-64 M-70. Don't change out the factory safety.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote