THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Rifle choice for Pocatello Idaho deer hunt

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle choice for Pocatello Idaho deer hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, my stepfather is trying to put together a deer hunt in the pocatello area next year. may or may not happen. but luck favors the prepared right?

My stepfather told me be prepared for 300+ yard shots if we go. I've got lots of practice to do then.

the question, do I plan on taking the 308 Norma Mag or the 264 win mag? I have some 180g northforks for the 308 and also some 165g barnes. the 264 I could load however is necessary I guess.

an idaho trip was what inspired my stepfather to have his 06 run out to 308 norma. I think it was a 320yard shot (ranged after) that hit lower than he wanted and he decided he wanted the extra boost.

Thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Muley bucks can top 230lbs, and are nomadic, so pretty muscled up. I'd take the 308NM, but I have killed a few with lesser rifles. The last one (2008) was with the CZ FS 9,3x62; but that was in timber less than 200yds. Dress warm, it is darned cold there lying just off the river and the wind howls straight out of the arctic circle seems like!!

What a cool excuse for a get together.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago, I just got back from spending 8 month's in the Lava Hot Springs area, which is S E of pocatello and it is a great area for hunting. Lots of deer,elk and moose were seen during my time there.
The wind is unreal and chilly.Dress warm with maybe some good rain gear.
As to guns, I would be more than satisfied with the 264 win mag shooting 140's, it will more than do the job at hand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 264. I load mine with either 125 Partitions or 129 Hornadys and the POI is the same. The 125 Partition is all you need for any deer of any weight. I shot one that weighed 247# field dressed at a lasered 302 yards and it only took one shot in the right place. I sight in 2.5" high at 100 and that puts me dead on at 250 and 3" low at 325, so I can aim in the usual place without holdover, or even moving the aim, out to 325.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either cartridge will work. Use the one you feel most comfortable shooting with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
you don't need near that much gun.

in fact, if you have something like a 270 win or 30-06, use that.

then practice like life depends on it. start at shorter distances, and from a variety of shooting positions, including off-hand. then work out until you know how far you are effective (100% hits on a 10-inch target) from each position.

lastly. you need to be able to do all of this shooting without making any adjustments or changes to the rifle. no re-zeroing at 200 or 300... set it and shoot... then shoot some more, and some more.

you have a year to prepare. you should be able to run a half-marathon by then and shoot excellent groups from any position.

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I favor the "bigger is better" philosophy so the 308NM would be my choice. If I was looking in my own safe, I would reach for the 300RUM. MHO is that the larger heavier bullet gives more leeway for less than ideal shots(not that you would take marginal shots but stuff happens).

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might also suggest that you consider that you much CARRY this rifle for a week.

when I head to the mountains, I leave my howitzer (11 lbs) at home and take dad's trusty 30-06 (7lbs)

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Idaho Falls, (near Pocatello) and I used a 308 Win for muleys. It worked fine.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use either rifles or the one you shoot best. I hunt with people who shoot 25-06, 257 bob, 300 mag, and 340 Wby. Usually lots of wind and some long up or downhill shots but you should be good with what you have.
Good luck.
Jon

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup at 300 plus or minus a 308Win. is just fine.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
Having shot a lot of mule deer with a 25-06, I see no problem shooting the 264WM.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use the one you like/shoot the best.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd take both. Just has easy to travel with two rifles as it is one.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
although it is a little tiring to carry both when you leave the truck.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13246 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on LarryS - 264 w/ 125gr partition. I personally use the 130gr Accubond nowadays but the partition is also a great bullet. All the rifle you'll need for the all time biggest mule deer.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 935 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505 gibbs, cause I hear they have big ones out there.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote