Find
Notify
Tools

What do you put in your daypack?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
So what do you like to put in your daypack?

I�m not talking about camping out all night, so �base camp� items aren�t included.
On a remote wilderness hunt in the Western U.S. or Alaska, I usually put the following in or on my daypack, plus or minus a couple of things:

(not in order of importance� that�s a whole other argument)

-Skinning Knives
-First Aid
-Canteen (insulated military type when it�s cold)
-Raingear (if I�m not wearing it)
-Binoculars (hooked to �D� rings in front of shoulder straps)
-Pistol (backup in bear country)
-Compass/map
-Headlight w/ extra batteries
-Spotting scope (depends)
-Small Camera (w/ waterproof bag)
-Chapstick
-Hunting license/tags
-SMALL folding bone saw
-Water/Windproof lighter
-Shortened/cut off road flare (for starting a fire in a hurry)
-Latex gloves (to minimize blood scent in bear country)
-Extra Ammo
-Small flat pack of baby wipes (you figure out why)

It may sound like a lot, but it actually fits nicely in the pack. I don�t have a picture of my personal pack, but this is the one that I use. I had a military surplus packed that I used for a long time that worked just about as well, but didn't have the scabbard. It's a nice feature when your climbing up the steep stuff and need both hands.

-

It's made by Nimrod packs, but Back Country Inc. carries it too.

Nimrod Packs
Back Country Inc.

Let's hear what you carry in your daypack...

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Kenati,

I would add to that some sort of emergency shelter. Personally, I dislike so called "space blankets" as in cold, wet, windy conditions they are virtually useless; a simple plastic bivvy bag/sack (silvered on the inside if you prefer) offers far more protection and is a proven life saver. Although heavier/bulkier than a space blanket it is still only the size of a slim paperback book when folded up.

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Extra ammo
lighter
matches
another lighter
spare AA batteries
GPS
map
compass
Binos
12 Pack Kootenay Beer
spotting scope and tripod
rain jacket
fingerless gloves with mitt loop overs
food
Leatherman tool
small diamond steel
TP
Petzel
Mini Mag light
I'll usually have a water bottle of some type, but it's often empty. There are usually creeks around here, and it's only when you get up really high you run out of water if there is no snow pack.
Spare clothes go on and off...layering is the key.

I've carried space blankets and gave up on them years ago..I either never used them or they were brittle and useless when I did. I'm interested in that "space bivvy" any more info? Like will it fit a guy with shoulders that are over 2 foot wide? [Wink]

By the way, I was kidding about one of my items, see if you can guess which one [Big Grin]

[ 09-18-2002, 01:15: Message edited by: Gatehouse ]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the Space Blanket--I think they're meant more to help the SAR people find your corpse.

I carry some kind of a shelter and something to sleep in. Around here, if you get hurt even a quarter mile off the trail, you need to be ready to spend the night. Since it's so wet (western Washington), you have to be ready for hypothermia.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
-Skinning Knife and sharpener
-First Aid Kit (Moleskin, Bandaids, asperin, benadryl, neosporin, small ace bandage, small roll of gauze, alcohol preps, small tweezer,pepto-bismol)
-50 feet parachute cord
-Canteen (insulated camelback type - 100 oz.)
-Raingear (if I’m not wearing it)
-Binoculars with a harness to hold them.
-Compass/map
-Spotting scope (depends)
-Small Camera, extra film, micro-tripod (w/ waterproof case)
-Chapstick
-Hunting license/tags
-Waterproof Pad and Fine point Sharpie Pen
-Wyoming Saw
-Water/Windproof lighter
-Latex gloves(to minimize blood on my hands)
-Extra Ammo
-Small flat pack of baby wipes (great for washing blood off of hands, or washing other parts)
-matches
-Metal match
-Whistle for signaling
-Extra large garbage bag in a ziplock bag (Acts as spare raincoat, shelter, etc.)
-GPS
-food
-Leatherman tool
-TP
-Headlamp with spare batteries and bulb
-Spare clothes go on and off

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Most everything has been covered, with one notable exception....game bags. I also carry a water purification pump. It weighs a pound, so I don't normally carry more than a pint of water at a time. But I never get dehydrated, either!

Tim

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
All my hikes while hunting are out-n-back to the camp so I dont use a daypack but I usually have;

A good hunting knife and a small stone to renew the edge if needs be

Water in a boda bag

Lemon drops and trail mix, sometimes jerky or an apple

About 10' or so of Nylon chord

Atire varrys according to time of day and weather

Plenty ammo

small string or ziptie for tagging

Lighter

Buttwipe

Plastic bag for heart & liver

A clean soft piece of cloth, 10,000 uses and always seems to come in handy. (ususally for cleaning hands etc.) Good for first aid purposes.

A visa, and thats about it..

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good taste in packs.
I've been using a Pinnacle Plus for some time now with a 70oz CamelBak in Nimrods pouch.
Haven't tried the rifle scabbord,but do wish i could use my Bandoleer holster with the pack.
Z

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kenati:
[QB]So what do you like to put in your daypack?

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pardon me if I overlooked this on a previous list: bug dope and headnet - if anyone ever hunts in Alaska and does not have these items AND

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SORRY - a bit quick on the trigger on that last post - anyway, if anyone hunts in ANY area without these items, hopefully a wind is present - otherwise, bugs can make a simple day hike into pure hell [Mad] [Mad] - KMuleinAk

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My list is pretty similar to loud-n-boomer's except for the latex gloves, and camera tripod. In really cold weather I often carry an MSR XGK backpack-type stove, for: warming food, melting snow, and saving my ass if I happen to find myself spending the night without shelter. BTW, the old Zippo with spare flints inside is hard to beat for fire starting.

I also carry one of those tarps that has a reflective side, like a space blanket. It's very tough, with grommets for hanging as an emergency shelter, and makes a great spot to set meat while dressing game. Being plastic, I just rinse it in a stream or down in the salt water.

All of that in a Crooked Horn Outfitters pack with room to spare.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:
Extra ammo
lighter
matches
another lighter
spare AA batteries
GPS
map
compass
Binos
12 Pack Kootenay Beer
spotting scope and tripod
rain jacket
fingerless gloves with mitt loop overs
food
Leatherman tool
small diamond steel
TP
Petzel
Mini Mag light
I'll usually have a water bottle of some type, but it's often empty. There are usually creeks around here, and it's only when you get up really high you run out of water if there is no snow pack.
Spare clothes go on and off...layering is the key.

I've carried space blankets and gave up on them years ago..I either never used them or they were brittle and useless when I did. I'm interested in that "space bivvy" any more info? Like will it fit a guy with shoulders that are over 2 foot wide? [Wink]

By the way, I was kidding about one of my items, see if you can guess which one [Big Grin]

Gatehouse-
I race in a marathon canoe/kayak race here in Texas in June each year(TexasWaterSafari). It's a non-stop 260mile race from the hill country town of SanMarcos to the GulfCoast town of Seadrift. The race must be completed in 100hrs.
Some years back a team of three guys decided to jump in a boat and compete in the race on a lark. They didn't practice and weren't prepared.
They took a case of beer and a big bucket of chicken. They made it to the 4th checkpoint/90miles before they had run out of beer & chicken and had had enough adventure. [Eek!]
It's said they did have a lot of fun [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always carry a film canister full of slow burning rifle powder wrapped in masking tape. Both make great emergency fire starters.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Looks Ok to me except for two minor items.1-You need a small plastic bag or two of your favorite Jerky to munch on through out the day 2-strap the loaded Pistol on your hip in bear country not in your pack. You walk up on Sow with cubs or a boar with his kill hid close by and you will not be able to get that handgun out of your pack in time to do you any good.
Bears may look slow and lumbering but a 1000 pound boar can run down a yearling Elk with ease and a yearling Elk can haul the mail. I saw one boar take 13 rounds before he dropped. The sad part was the guy doing the shooting was the problem.

<Don Martin29>
posted
When I carry a pack and am not going too far from the car I put in a quart thermous of soup. This is when I am stand hunting usually on opening day.

Of all the stuff in that pack I look forward to that soup the most. The best canned soup is vegtable beef as the ones with rice stick to the inside of the thermous.

This hunting is in Northern New England where the temp is usually from 20F to 45F.

We carry FSR radio's some of the time. This is something new and can take up a lot of time. I think we overdid it the year before last and last year it was not such a novelty.

<memtb>
posted
Generally way too d#&* much, -- unless you need it! Extra long under wear,wool shirt,extra gloves, socks ( I usuall hunt with deerskin gloves, until it gets pretty cool),wool pull over cap,down vest,wool skarf,rain jacket,cotton handkerchief, toilet paper, moistened wipes(in a zip-lock bag)emergency bag,multi-tool, partial roll of black friction tape ( first aid, repairs, muzzle cover, ect.)compass/maps, water, small chamios(clean lenses), several means of fire starting,mole skin,iodine tablets, first aid supplies( enough pain killer to walk out on a "stump")parachute cord & rope, folding saw, spare glasses,hunting license, and probably a half dozen other items I've forgotten. -memtb [Smile]

<memtb>
posted
I forgot the camera and lip balm! -memtb