New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ultimate hunting vehicle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been working on my horse trailer/camper combo the last few years. It's a 20 foot goose neck stock trailer that I pull with a Ford F250 Power Stroke. When I arrive at camp I kick out the horses, shovel manure and put a tarp on the floor. Then an old carpet goes over the tarp. The camp stove then goes up along with the cots, folding table and chairs. A portable shower and relief tube has been added lately, also. Next addition will be generator and a water tank. My wife refused to sleep in the trailer until she saw how cozy it is. Now she refuses to sleep in the tent!
Has anybody else done this? I think it works great.

LW

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great idea Leif. i'll have to pass this on to my horse owning hunting buddies. Thanks. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is a good idea. A Jackson, Wyoming friend, set up his somewhat smaller rig in similar fashion some 20 years back. It was a real good one-man set up and not bad for two. I believe he's still got it.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lief,

I have done this on occasion except with out the tarp, carpet or stove. I sleep up top in my gooseneck or I clear a spot with a shovel and throw down my thermarest and bag. About the only time I use my horse trailer as a camper is when we get to the trail head. Then we trail in early the next morning and then it is a wall tent or tarp after that. It is a good Idea, though. I may just use my horse trailer this summer when my family and I go camping and on our vacation. I could even lock up my kids in there and they would never get out.
With carpet, a stove and poly for the windows it would make for a comfortable camp.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Leif,

There is nothing to beat an old 1982 model Toyota Landcruiser!

We have used one in Afriva for so many years, and one time we were 9 people, all our equipment, and 3 zebras in it! We tried driving up a slight slope, and the poor thing game up.

We had top get out and push it up the hill.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who had a 20" horsetrailer built with living quarters and two horse room in the rear..We used to hunt a lot out of it and it sure was nice..just like a camp trailer, with kitchen, toilet, sleeping for 6 people could be had...great rig

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My brother has the same thing, except he keeps his 4 wheelers in the back of his. Also makes a nice place to keep the generator and water tank for the shower.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl D:
Lief,

I clear a spot with a shovel and throw down my thermarest and bag. Daryl

Geeeeez Daryl.....you make me feel like a priss! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend and I are getting a Mini moke for hooning around after game on properties over here.
Two sleeping swags,guns and a trunk full of food.
Figure if the mini gets stuck anywhere we can carry it out ourselves.

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have owned two landcruisers and a dozen other 4x4s they are nothing ,compared to a unimog 404 i own in comparison ,toyotas are shit boxes as far as iam concerned

Posts: 148 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have slept in horse trailers before and let me tell you they were long nights. Especially with some yahoo in the truck, still attached to the trailer, tossing and turning all night.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote