Find
Notify
Tools

Kansas Thunder Chickens
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David Fox
posted
Last Friday the 12th was a cold frosty morning, but it was to be one of the better days of the week, with the sun shining and only a light breeze. I was hosting 2 young lads from my hometown in Indiana. Jordan, who had been here 4 or 5 times to turkey hunt, and Josh, a very nice young man who was here for the 1st time. We were up early and drove to a farm 8 miles from town, that I have permission to hunt, and walked in well ahead of daylight. Jordan, who at 27 years of age is on of the best callers I've witnessed, gave a couple of owl hoots, and the woods lit up with the gobbles of jakes and toms. with the birds located, we hurried to find a spot to set up as close as we dared. without realizing it, we almost got too close. In our haste, we had walked to a point right under 2 birds roosted in the trees. If it had been 10 to 15 minutes later, we would have busted them. after realizing our mistake, we backed out and set up approxiametly 75 yards away at the edge of a mowed CRP meadow. We set up a hen and strutting tom decoy, and with Jordan behind us doing the calling, Josh and I sat down beside each other in the trees. The woods was alive with the jakes and toms hollerin at every crow, owl, and goose that made a sound. As daylight got closer, Jordan began giving suttle hen purrs and yelps. The 2 birds that we almost busted were getting nervous. When Jordan gave a fly down cackle and did some wing beats, it was all the toms could stand. They flew down out of sight, but started making a b-line for our decoys. It didn't take long for them to come into view, and I whispered to Josh that I would take the one in front. At 40 yards I could see the birds appear as they were half strutting and gobbling all the way. They were on a mission to do an ass kicking on our struttin tom decoy. When they got to within 5 yards of our dekes, we lowered the boom. Both birds down at 6:35 a.m. In the photo, I'm on the right and Josh to the left. My bird, 11.25" beard and 7/8" spurs. Josh's bird, 10.5" beard with 7/8" spurs. [URL=http://s1317 photobucket.com/user/Knute1960/media/Turkeys-MeandJosh2]http://s1317 photobucket.com/user/Knute1960/media/Turkeys-MeandJosh2[/URL]

Posts: 39 | Location: Council Grove, KS | Registered: 02 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Fox
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't really know how to post the picture. For some reason, I don't have permission. WTH? I'm 53 years old. I need permission?

Posts: 39 | Location: Council Grove, KS | Registered: 02 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Fox:
Well, I don't really know how to post the picture. For some reason, I don't have permission. WTH? I'm 53 years old. I need permission?

You need to post them on an online photo sharing site first. Personally I use hunt101.com for the ones I post but that isn't the only such site. Some folks, which seems to include you, also use photobucket but I don't have any exprience with that site.

After you have them on the site you simply do a copy of the URL and paste them here. One thing to remember when you copy them is that you need to have the whole URL and it will start [img]and stop with [/img]. If you don't get the whole URL it won't post properly. It looks like your URL isn't complete since it lacks the [img] stuff.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Fox
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Pirate. At my age technology has really passed me by, and I can't seem to grasp all the lingo and jargan. I opened the photobucket account this morning, just in hope that I could post the pics here. Wrong again. I participate on some other forums that are much more user friendly for old duffs like me. They let me download pics straight from my computer desktop.Knute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to, email me the pics and I'll post them for you. If you want to do that you can PM me ans I'll give you my email address.

Cheers

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was confused for just a moment. I always thought that here in Kansas a Thunder Chicken was a Prairie Chicken that really does drum. My bad.

Sorry, great story! If you email the pictures to Pirate, I know he will post them. I would love to see them!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As promised. Nice looking birds.

Pirate

One of Us
Picture of David Fox
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to Pirate for helping post the picture.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great birds David!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good looking birds!

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Well done!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice birds guys!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice looking birds! congrats!

Jim

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston and Seguin, Texas | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote