New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help!!! I'm cold.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone use the Codet wool parka from Cabels? Its 75% wool and 25% nylon with 100 grams of Thinsulate. I hunt in Alabama (morning lows 10-40deg and evening highs 40-70deg) and the older I get the colder I get. I've tried Browning thermals with Browning bibs and the Browning non-insulated jacket. The jackets not warm enough and the bibs are too bulky, sort of like the little boy on "The Christmas Story".Help

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
<jagtip>
posted
Mark....Rather than recommend brands,etc.,I can make a few suggestions regarding cold weather clothing.Layer your clothes.When all else is equal,two medium layers are warmer than one thick layer.Wear wool socks.If you're allergic to wool,wear a thin non wool pair underneath.Avoid cotton.When it gets wet from perspiration,it gives you a chill.Make sure your boots/shoes are not too tight when wearing your thick socks.Wear something warm on your head.A lot of body heat escapes from there.Wear something that acts as a windbreak.Wind increases the chill effect drastically.Another reason to wear clothing in layers is it allows you to remove layers as needed instead of getting overheated which just makes you sweat which in turn will make you colder.Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks jagtip,I've tried layering, I've bought polypopylene socks and underwear. I remove layers walking to and from my stand. Now I'm thinking of trying wool.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Mark, I retired from the army did 20 yrs in the infantry. I know the feeling. Bass Pro or Cabela's has the Army's ECWS long undies use them and a Balacavla around your neck and head.Use them and you will be warm as toast.The body loses 40% of it's hat through the head and neck.Good luck it solved my problem.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you want comfy, get a one piece Carhart arctic suit. No, not available in camo, but the brown color isn't bad in the woods, and they aren't too exspensive ~$150. I got my wife a set, and keeps her nice and toasty.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If you are stand hunting, I like wearing a big one piece insulated coverall. You can leave it unzipped when you are walking out as they get hot, but it is the best thing I have found for stand hunting. Not something to wear on a drive however! Getting it a little large lets you wear sweats and sweaters underneath, just keep layering up untl you feel comfortable. The only thing is you need to check the pull on your stock, as you are going to have to reach a little more now. I like to bundle up so I'm warm, then wear light gloves and not have to worry about getting cold hands.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies,
I must admit I'm a bit cold natured and I've tried lots of things to keep me warm. So far I've spent lots of money and no toasty feeling yet. Although I starting to look and feel like the tire guy on TV I was hoping wool would be the best of both worlds warmth without the bulk.

<Paladin>
posted
You ain't the only cold-natured one: I start with the polyprop underwear, then in bad cold I add the army insulated (quilted) longjohns, heavy wool shirt of Korean War-vintage, jacket, army winter woodland camo coat with ECW (quilted) liner. If there's wind or snow, I top this off with what turned out to be a totally wonderful idea: a used Yugo military heavy wool CAPE.

Basically, the cape amounts to a thick, old-fashioned wool army blanket, fashioned into a cape complete with (big) hood. Man, does it ever turn the wind! Lots of room under it for equipment, too. Bought it from Sportsman's Guide five or six years ago for around $19.95++ and have congratulated myself ever since.

My feet quit getting cold when I began using the Rocky-brand hunting boots. Oddly enough, the synthetic knitted orange cap (such as is sold cheaply in WalMart) has proven to be warmer than any other headgear. Strange, but often welcome. Have not quite found the best gloves yet, though....

:

<ovis>
posted
Hey guy

I bought a Codet wool jacket when I was in Manitoba hunting five or six years ago. It was olive drab in color with polar fleece lining. It's been my hunting coat while I lived in Manitoba and since I've moved to live here in Alaska. It was always way warm except in the very coldest weather and lasted through this hunting season when it was retired in a very threadbare condition.(wore it daily) It also made it through two Blue Heeler pups so I can't say enough good things about the Codet coat. Very reasonably priced as I remember.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I know alot of extreme mountain/skier/winter backcountry types, since I'm near a ski resort. While I don't ski much these days, I've spent alot of time winter camping.

If you are moving around, use the high tech stuff. Poly underwear, then light fleece, then heavy fleece if it's cold. Then add alayer of good Gor-tex, with zippered vents. All the good stuff has zippered vents, even the fleece.

If it's really, really, cold, but not too wet, add a down jacket/vest.

If you are staying still, I still recomend the poly/fleece/down outfit, just more layers. Stay dry (with regard to persperation, too) and that will help alot.

I suffer from cold feet, and I've yet to find a boot- thinsulate, felt, whatever- that keeps my feet warm without buying two sizes big and wearing triple sock layers. I just put up with the cold feet, unfortunately!

Of course, the Inuit laugh at alot of our stuff when in extreme cold. For them, it's caribou skin clothes and boots, and maybe polar bear pants.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The caribou skin outfits are said to be the single most warm thing anyone can wear. Ive also heard they can cost around 1500 for one...There is a tribe up north that requires these when hunting for polar bears on their land, otherwise you stand a greater chance of dying without one!

The Sportsmens guide is a great place to find both new and used military clothing for VERY VERY good prices. I just bought 3 pairs of cold weather wool pants from them tonight for 20 bucks incl shipping! Cant beat that...And they are brand new. German surplus... The military surplus is often the warmest becuase if your troops cant fight confortably you'll lose, therefore they make their clothes very well...

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote