New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which rifle?
 Login/Join

<hunting1>
posted
I am planning on buying another out dated 30-06 and was wondering which you guys out here suggest. How are those CZ550? I have an Encore frame, but think I want a bolt. What is all of your opinions? Thanks and good shooting!

<allen day>
posted
My favorite .30-06 rifles have all been original pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters. They are superb, high-quality rifles, and if you take good care of them, you won't lose any money over the long term. I like the Featherweight version best for a hunting rifle that you're going to carry over hill and dale. Accuracy has always been top-notch, and reliability has been flawless.

For a "using" gun instead of a collecting gun, find one with original, unaltered, near-mint metal and stock work, but with the addition of a recoil pad. This will reduce the initial cost of the rifle, yet enhance the utility.

AD

<hunting1>
posted
Wow I figured you guys would give a few more opinions here. The pre-64 is good, how about the CZ550 or the BAR? I appreciate the first hand advice. Good shooting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at the cz 550 in 30/06 and see what you reckon personally I think there a lot of gun for the money. My gundealer does not think so, unless a rifle has sako written on it he does not like it much.

I have a .416 cz and I like it and will be considering one in .375 H&H at a financially appropriate time

Regards PC

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
There is not a clear choice. One rifleman may want a SS rifle and plastic stock. Another may favor wood and know that a rifle never got rusty on him anyway.

Then a accuracy nut will point out that a custom bbl or a Savage is wanted for it's groups.

I would suggest the M-70 classic featherweight. It's locktime and trigger have to be better than the CZ. I am going on past experiance with Mausers here and not specific ownership of that CZ.

Don't buy a pre-64 M-70. I don't have enough of them yet and the price on used ones is higher than the price on new rifles! I wonder why?

<Indiana Tone>
posted
A little biased myself towards the recent Model 70s being lefthanded as Iam, great rifles and am very pleased with mine. Righthanders have it a heck of a lot easier though,CZs are a heck of a buy just for an example and Charles Daly is coming back with the Mausers that Interarms had a few years ago. Just take your time and compare with whats available.

<Steve H>
posted
Take the BAR (I wasn't aware there was any other kind of rifle

Steve H

<Reloader66>
posted
I can list many rifles and custom rifle makers, but not sure what your after. If money is no object, then go with a custom made rifle by Hart or Tulley. The CZ rifle is one fine shooter and well made in any caliber you choose, I own three of them. My CZ 308 is a tack driver. The Savage rifle is by far the best buy and they do shoot very well for the least cost involved. I also like the Weatherby Vanguard series rifles. I own one in 30-06 and it will give me 1/2" three shot groups at 100 yards. The Tikka by Sako is a good shooter. The Ruger is not on my list of rifles to buy these days. The Remington has also fallen from my list of rifles to buy. The Winchester is in the same class as the Tikka by Sako. There are several more rifles to list but would only turn this into a mind boggling event for you. Go to the web and type in google or dogpile .com. Then type in rifles on each site and see what comes up. You can go to Wal-Mart and buy a Savage or Weatherby Vanguard at a very reasonable price in 30-06