THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Mountain goats being airlifted because...what??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain goats being airlifted because...what??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Mountain Goats Are Being Airlifted Out of a National Park Because They Crave Human Pee
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/mou...ional-171800177.html

Olympic National Park, located in Washington state's Olympic Peninsula, is faced with a daunting challenge: removing a ballooning mountain goat population that's developed a strong appetite for human pee.

Mountain goats aren't a native species in the park. Since their introduction in the 1920s, their numbers have blossomed into a staggering 700 ungulates. Now, with humans flooding the area and routinely relieving themselves on various hiking trails, the goats have developed an insatiable thirst for urine, which serves as a strong source of salt and minerals.

Posts: 112 | Registered: 12 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Nothing new here. Been an issue the past 40 years at least. Constantly stirring the pot, public opinion ( ya right ) on what to do about the goats.
Goats overgraze the rare vegetation. A recent fatality involving a goat has promoted the issue. Another case of tourist intrusion.
Goats have been airlifted before. Plenty died from stress.
Goats were originally planted for hunting.
Hunt them.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another government waste of money when they could make money.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
I live in the area, about 4 miles from the Park Boundary on the north side.

They are the big white Rocky Mountain Goats.

The goats are not native. A couple of guys obtained a few goats I think from the Central Cascade Mountains in Central Washington, hauled them to the north side of the park and released them. I think this was in the 1940's, maybe earlier.

Populations were getting strong and a relocation was done in the 1980's (not sure of the dates).

Population increasing again so the decision was made to remove again. A hiker was horned in the thigh several years ago and bled out, this added to the desire to remove the goats.

They can be a darn pest around campsites, going after anything salty: Best way to see them is to have a bag of really salty chips in your backpack. I had trouble with one several years ago, a big aggressive male. Finally whacked him over the head with my tripod (bent one of the tripod legs).

Lots of alpine country in the park, up to 8000 feet, the goats do a number on the vegetation.

If it was not a National Park the sportsmen could hunt the darn things, although it would be more of a shoot than hunting as the goats are not afraid of humans. Sell tags and avoid the use of expensive helicopters and all the crew required!!

Some of the guys I know think this is a plan to provide more food for the grizzly bears that are increasing their population in Central Washington State. HA! The guys out here have a conspiracy theory for everything.

I think it is just a way to provide employment for more folks in the Park.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Goats were originally planted for hunting.Hunt them.

As usual, the people living in the area know the most simple and effective solutions, but the office bound bureaucracy do not listen to good and wise advice.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
As usual, the people living in the area know the most simple and effective solutions, but the office bound bureaucracy do not listen to good and wise advice.

Give the man a Cigar, we have a winner!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We could use a few of those here, in Alberta, our population has been in severe decline for many years.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last "excuse" they gave was the goats were eating a flower that is on the ESL and the greenie's wanted the goats eradicated by the WDFW. Shoot them all and leave them lay was what they wanted, real animal lovers!!!

My uncle who spent decades building roads for Weyerhaeuser used to hunt goats with a passion. The mountain behind North Bend used to have a nice herd. Spent a day on his Cat when I was 14 on that rock!!!

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote