Find
Notify
Tools

mouflon shot placement
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I'm planning to go on a mouflon hunt in a few months and was wondering how far up front the vitals are? Is the anatomy of a mouflon the same as a deer? I have been trying to look at photos of their anatomy but can't seem to find any. Anyone have a picture of where to aim or their anatomy? Just want to make the best shot I can rather than "guess". Thanks.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens

I have taken three over here in Europe - anatomy seems to be the same as a Deer to me!

A shot, a third the way up the body and back on the point of the shoulder takes the top off the heart, whilst also mincing the bottoms of the lungs. They will run a bit but be down and bled out very quickly.

If anchoring them 'right now' is necessary - then break the shoulder and it will drop. Usually, bleeding out and dead before you get anywhere close to the carcass.

Enjoy your hunt - they are good looking animals.

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I am the veteran of only 1 mouflon, and have watched a couple others shot...they are like other sheep in that it doesn't take much to kill one. A shot in the lungs will kill one very quickly (I know people who hunt them with a .223) and a "shoulder" shot will usually drop the animal right there.
Where are you planning on hunting?

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Boghossion, I plan to hunt somewhere in the USA. If I can find a nice fair chase place in CA I'll go there, but if not I'm going to Texas. This will hopefully be my first big game animal as I have been pretty unlucky during deer season. This being my first big game animal I am still kind of skeptic as to where to aim. I have been looking at the shot placement on deer and everything I can find says a third of the way up the body running parallel to back of the front leg. Which seems a little far back to me. I think I have been spending to much time looking at african game. Does anyone have a picture? Thanks.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
One more thing I forgot. Is mouflon edible? if so, is it any good? Thanks.

Sevens

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is poisonous mate, you should give it to me...
Actually, it is good although I haven't tried any meat from old males/animals during the rut. Cannot imagine it would be as bad as a rutted deer.

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only shot Corsican sheep (a cross between a Mouflon an a Barbados sheep), but the anatomy is similar to a deer. They don't take much killing as they don't wiegh much more than 100-120lbs. Trophy males will be tough and rank to eat though if you like old mutton have at it. Most guys who shoot them in Texas pay $20 to have them ground into burrito meat and give it to the local food bank.

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is one for a deer, may help.
http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html

Posts: 9 | Location: Goose Creek, S. C. | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just a funny thing I noticed, I read an article in an Italian hunting magazine that said they are particularly hard to put down. I have them on my place but have never taken one sonce they are a breeding herd and for clients only really.

Personally I connot comment, but I wouldn't think they should be so hard to kill.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote