Find
Notify
Tools

good weekend on the hill
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

left before daylight on friday.
got to camp and set up the tarp-ma-hall and made a pretty good circle the rest of the day.
Sat. morn we were out with the sun and
cleaned up a couple other spots, made about a 7 or 8 mile circle.
Climbed out of the hell hole on sunday with camp and all the treasures.
No bears and 70's during the day and 2 nights on the mountain !!!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great way to spend the weekend!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
You did well! Nice to see so many quality bulls making it through the winter in a single area.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice haul.. but please 'splain to me how you could do that here in Wyoming? My freedom in Wyoming doesn't include picking up shed antlers until May 1. several guys have been ticketed here in Sublette County, and a couple have even lost their hunting privleges over picking up sheds a little early.. don't add up to me.. thanks Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only on the west side of the continental divide is there a season.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
only on the west side of the continental divide is there a season.

What exactly is the logic for having a season for shed hunting? Doesn't seem to make sense to this easterner... Looks like a bunch of fun though.

What is the largest one you ever found?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the season is because it has become a mad house
with people doing stupid stuff for antlers.
Chasing the elk and deer on the winter range at the worst possible time frame.
End of the winter and before green grass.
It isn't the ONE guy displacing game, its the day in day out stress of the combined weeks of horn hunters.
Sounded to me that the folks from utah "discovered" the mule deer winter range in S.E.
Wyoming and it was just too many people
so the law was passed 2 yrs ago that no horn hunting was allowed till may 1 on the west side of the continental divide.
Truth be told,It should be state wide as there are areas in my corner of the state that get over used by some of the local horn hunting crowd.

Storm, the best we found was around 12 LBs
and in the range of a 360 bull. average was about 8 LBs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "mad house" scene ravenr reports is accurate as can be....in the Missouri Breaks the mob waits for the seconds to tick down until it's legal before they race to grab every shed around.....knocking the crap out of each other the whole time. Reminds me of the mob trampling one another for the latest Air Jordan sneakers. Damn sad if you ask me.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote