Tools

Are people really this stupid
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, they really are???? They killed 11 moose in 2010 as well! No idea how anyone could mistake a moose for an elk, but they do. bewildered

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
if you have to ask, you're not too quick yourself.

I concluded my speech by telling them that I was done with politics for the present, and they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas. -- Davy Crockett 11AUG1935

Posts: 13 | Location: Camden, TN & Round Rock TX | Registered: 24 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It happens in Wyoming to, not to that extent, but does happen. Some I think shoot intentionaly, then get cold feet and turn themselves in, pleading ignorance!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Sorry, there's no excuse for mistaking a moose for an elk. None.

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly hard to comprehend.....as is the recent, but not uncommon, killing of a 31 year-old hunter here in NH by someone who "thought he was a deer".

I actually wore my blinking headlight paddling out from duck hunting tonight with these idiots in mind.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudu
we had one our very own game wardens kill
2 moose a few yrs ago

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
kudu
we had one our very own game wardens kill
2 moose a few yrs ago

I hope they fired him!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Kudu

I believe your local Warden in Cody is Craig Sax.

Back in 1989 or 1990 his wife had a moose tag and she ended up shooting 2 on Craigs direction to shoot again. One was bedded and one was standing, She shot the one standing and dropped it in its tracks. Then the bedded one stood up and he mistook it for the one she shot and told her to shoot it again. The short of it was she shot 2 young bulls and didnt realize it until they got over to them.
Craig issued her a ticket on that hunt, I dont recall what ever happened over it, but it was quietly hushed soon after.

He was a new warden at the time @ Bridger Valley and he was not to well liked in the area and I had several bouts with him myself. Roll Eyes I know he was sneeky and took his job to the extreme but there were times when he could have given a warning and people whould have respected him more.
Some times I and my brother would play cat and mouse with him for fun. But he always resented us for it.
I have a cuple of stories Id like to share but I dont want to sound like a bad sportsman or a game thief,which I am not but in his younger days he was easy to fool with at times.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Ravenr

are you refering to Craig Sax when he was in Bridger Valley?

If so read my post above I wa sin the area at the time.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats our hero
but we spell his name "SUXS"
sounds like he learned how to
be an a$$hole in the valley

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I tended bar up the mountains of Colorado in Grand Lake right out of college one summer before I went back to Texas to get a real job. We had a couple from back east (I won't embarrass the state) staying at the lodge for a week. One night, before having her first drink, she asked me: "When do the deer turn into elk?"

Priceless..........

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I live just below the Colorado line. I had a Colorado Warden tell me once that was the reason they put drawings and photos of the animals in the proclamation. So folks would know what the animal they are hunting looks like. That's unreal.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of somebody's tag line:

"OK lady it'd your elk. Please let me get my saddle off him first."

Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
cal30 1906

Thanks for the update. I missed that one for some reason. Hushed up like you said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a dead mule in the Flattops Wilderness area with an arrow sticking out of its side...... Eeker

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I said I would not start a pissing contest on AR about this, but....

It is the obligation of every hunter to positively identify the target," said Bob Thompson, Colorado Parks and Wildlife's Acting Chief of Law Enforcement. "It's the first and most important thing we teach in hunter safety class. There is no excuse for shooting the wrong animal."

The individual this is aimed at knows who they are and has already posted on this forum.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
"If you make a mistake, own up to it," Velarde said. "It's the right thing to do. Report it to us and make sure the meat doesn't go to waste. Better yet - when in doubt, don't pull the trigger"
I befriended a crooked hunting "mentor" over this EXACT reason: by NOT leading by example. This individual* knows who he is... and like Roger Clemens*, Pete Rose*, Mark McGwire*...were looked up to until they failed to own up to their mistakes, instead being shamed beyond redemption.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is even more abominable when the individual is an Arrogant, Condescending, Napoleanic, Control Freak, Little Prick trying to claim an honest mistake but doing everyting in their power to cover it up and sweep it under the rug and be sure no one has a chance to discuss it.

What I would like to know is,...." When do Fallow turn into Axis??"

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerrenceEason:

Well 'rence, sounds like your quite familiar with this type of activity. These yer folks?

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well at least the Moose is in the same species as an Elk. My uncles friend caught a couple of hunters trespassing on his farm and had just shot one of his cows thinking it was a Deer. How you can mistake a cow for a deer is beyond me.
I for one like to stalk within a decent distance where I can ensure of what I am hunting.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palladin8:
How you can mistake a cow for a deer is beyond me.

Probably some city-dwelling-bugger-eating-moron told his buddy just shoot the biggest thing with horns or the thing with biggest horns.

Theres all kinds of STUPID in this world!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
We were hunting in West Texas one time and we went to pick a friend of a friend up from hunting one evening. We got there and he was excited because he had shot a whitetail doe. The white tail doe was actually a female Corsican sheep. I guess it could have been worse and been a ram!!!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
couple years ago there was a story about some guy in Montana? that shot a feral llama, thinking it was a cow elk. Stupid part is, he tagged it. He could have just kept it, as there is no law against shooting feral animals, and llama is good eating. Then he could have went after a real elk. Just can't fix stupid

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Beutler:
quote:
Originally posted by TerrenceEason:

Well 'rence, sounds like your quite familiar with this type of activity. These yer folks?

Several years ago I did deliverys to Wolf Mountian Ski resort, (Libtard city Roll Eyes )

They had a full sized statue of an Elk.....With MOOSE antlers.. And none of the ninnys there even seemed to notice even after I pointed it out..

Yea, People really are that stupid.. cuckoo

I called their statue a MELK.. Big Grin

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 30 or so years ago my dad said a guy from back east shot one of their horses....in camp....tied up to a tree....next to the trailer...wearing a blaze orange horse blanket...

They took him into town, warden wrote him a ticket and made him buy a new horse!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
About 30 or so years ago my dad said a guy from back east shot one of their horses....in camp....tied up to a tree....next to the trailer...wearing a blaze orange horse blanket...

They took him into town, warden wrote him a ticket and made him buy a new horse!

It's hard to believe something like that is possible, the only thing that horse was missing was a flashing light! That guy should have got a beating, and a fine after paying for the new horse, WTF.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was before my time, but my dad and a few other old hands from the camp have told it before. They were IN the camp when this happened too! The shot scared the crap out of them. Apparently they went outside to see what was going on, old fella comes down from the hill and asks "hey did you see that elk I shot?? it was right around here!"

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
Can't Fix Stupid

rotflmo

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I helped out on a youth/mentor hunt this year. People would show up with guns that were not even close to being sighted in and expect a young kid to kill a deer with it. We got most of them pretty good before the hunt started, but there were several parents that should have been dog beat. It is scary how many complete idiots have guns in their possession and are too stupid to try to rectify their stupidity.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back, I guy from NY shot, cleaned, and checked (at a highway game stop) a llama here in Montana!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
thats our hero
but we spell his name "SUXS"
sounds like he learned how to
be an a$$hole in the valley

Yea, Sax really sucked as a game warden. He only made several of the largest wildlife cases in the history of Wyoming, one of which was catching Gary Vorhies poach two huge bighorn sheep up the North Fork on Christmas Eve...one of the worst chronic poachers the state has ever seen. Vorhies stole more opportunity from legitimate hunters than probably anyone in history. Craig did his job, and he did it well.

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I had a girl friend who asked me to get a "tigger" skin from Africa.

I gave her a hyaena skin, and she was very happy about it. Telling all her friends it was a tigger that I shot rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palladin8:
Well at least the Moose is in the same species as an Elk. My uncles friend caught a couple of hunters trespassing on his farm and had just shot one of his cows thinking it was a Deer. How you can mistake a cow for a deer is beyond me.
I for one like to stalk within a decent distance where I can ensure of what I am hunting.

More times than not there is a lot of adult beverage in the mix.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tigger skin. Now that's funny!

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't think so at all! Ouch!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I recall a hunt in Utah a number of years ago for deer. I came over this little ridge and looked down to see a couple of cows.... each with "COW" spray painted on each side in orange...... nice rancher helping out the city folks I guess Smiler

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years back a fellow in Maine Saw a deer swear to god it was a deer and shot a woman in the chest and killed her dead, she was standing on her back door steps. Maine being Maine, he didn't go to jail like he should have for second degree Murder. Yea some times the brain disconnects and you see what you want to see. A good pair of Binoculars solves a lot of these problems.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote