Find
Notify
Tools

How to find a hunting lease?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
What is the best way to find a hunting lease? I have been trying to find one in California but no luck. Any ideas?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wave lots of $ in front of farmers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call the Fish and Wildlife guys. They usually know where to go. Might be public at first. But they also might direct you to folks who offer land for lease.

Go to the nearest skeet and trap place and check the bulletin boards and talk to people.

Also, if there's an archery range or a rifle range, try there.

If you shoot at the shotgun, archery, or rifle range for a while and start talking to folks, I bet you'll find something.

But I'd start with the game wardens. Good luck.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So sad that it has to come to this isn't it???

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
bulldog, you have a PM.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bulldog, You need to hang out where the folks that own the land hang out. And that varies from local to local.

Some of the best places I've found to meet the right folks are the Feed and Seed stores, farm equipment stores, small country Welding Shops and for sure the local churches.

Also co-workers at your job normally know someone they can put you in touch with. If you have children, then you have a chance to meet the parents of other kids and get another chance.

Some of my very best opportunities have come from just mentioning I enjoy hunting to people and ask if any of their relatives do. You may find those folks either hunt different than you do, or don't hunt the way you prefer. But, they might mention someone to you that would be a better match for your hunting style.

Just noticed in a local once a week newspaper an add for a Hunting Lease for 600acres by a local. You might lease it for yourself, or if you have a few hunting buddies lined up, you might want to form a Hunt Club.

And you can go to those same local papers and put in an ad that you are looking for land to Lease for Hunting.

Hunting the Land to actually hunt is just part of the process. It can be as enjoyable as you want to make it. Once you begin the Hunt for the Land and Permission to Hunt, it gets easier as you go along.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
What should I expect to pay per year for a good sized lease?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bulldog, It depends on what all you have access to. Some of the places I've been familiar with were $4-$6/acre about 8 years ago and some were over $20.

The high dollar places had a Club House(old farm house), skinning shed, coolers, fishing and picnics for the rest of the family during the Off-Season and places to park campers.

Cheaper places may just provide you with a "key" to the gate locks and no provisions for taking care of the Game after you kill it.

Some places allow you to take a truck on the property, some a 4x4 and some don't want traffic tearing up the dirt roads after a rain.

So, it just depends on what is in the deal. And I'd expect a Lease with good potential Deer or Hogs on it to be at a premium if it is near a large city.

I know that didn't help answer your question with a direct answer, but it just depends...

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote