Find
Notify
Tools

Just curious.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
When a person in America looks at booking a hunt with a guide/outfitter, how many base their choice on the guide/outfitters success rate/hunt area/previous clients reports, or concepts such as the guide/outfitters [religious or political ideology?

The majority of guides/outfitters I see offering hunts on here never mention either as part of their services.

Just curious, but how many consider a guide/outfitters political/religious ideology as the deciding factor when booking a hunt?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Their political/religious ideology means nothing to me. It is all about area, management, success and cost.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You are joking right?
Or trolling. I have a funny feeling that people will answer with their experiences and you'll argue with them over opinions because yours is different.
I don't do many guided hunts but when choosing an outfitter someone's religious beliefs would not even be on my radar, how ridiculous....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I avoid vegan guides.

Mark

Posts: 1236 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are joking right?
Or trolling. I have a funny feeling that people will answer with their experiences and you'll argue with them over opinions because yours is different.I don't do many guided hunts but when choosing an outfitter someone's religious beliefs would not even be on my radar, how ridiculous....

No Sir, not trolling and not a joke. This has come up in various conversations I have seen/heard in the past and as someone that does offer guided hunts I am simply curious as to the parameters hunters use when selecting a guide/outfitter to hunt with.

For the guided hunts I have been on in my life, the subjects of politics/religion rarely or never surfaced during the trip.

I know that personally I never worried about either of those issues being part of the equation. I have always been more concerned about the success rates of previous clients/the accommodations/type of terrain/typical weather conditions/suggestions on clothing and firearm but never anything about politics or religion.

On the hunts I offer, I find that due to the duration of the hunts 2 to 4 days/the type game hunted and methods used, there is not a whole lot of down time left for talking about much other than the hunt itself, past hunts both my own and the clients and usually a little about guns.

I have never based my personal decision on a guide to hunt with on whether they were a Methodist or A Republican and can't remember ever having a client ask me about my own political/religious ideology.

I am just curious as if it is the coming thing in the hunting field and I need to start listing my political/religious leanings or beliefs in the information I give out when listing available hunts.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bet that there are not many liberal hunting guides or outfitters around. Maybe fishing guides.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
There's more to this than just politics and religion. This is about two people getting along and a hunt meeting expectations. Expectations are based on past history of success in general. It isn't everything though. A hunt is, after all, more than just the seconds it takes to pull a trigger.

For instance: I have a hunt booked with Jake Jefferson to go to Alaska this year. Jake has solid success rates - not 100% but he goes the extra distance to try to find success.

Jake does not permit alcohol or smoking on his hunts. The perspective is that too many things can go wrong when booze and guns come together...and he doesn't want his tent and gear to smell like cigarettes and cigars.

For some, that's a deal breaker right there. No nightcaps or sundowners, no cigar at night.

It makes sense to me that to some degree personal preferences of the hunt do come into play. As pointed out by DIs, chances are the PH and Hunter share similar philosophies on many things. There could be a deal breaker in there somewhere though.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never been on a guided hunt, but I feel that if that individual or company is an avid outdoors man/woman and has a passion for hunting then I feel like that would be good enough for me..

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
When a person in America looks at booking a hunt with a guide/outfitter, how many base their choice on the guide/outfitters success rate/hunt area/previous clients reports, or concepts such as the guide/outfitters [religious or political ideology?

The majority of guides/outfitters I see offering hunts on here never mention either as part of their services.

Just curious, but how many consider a guide/outfitters political/religious ideology as the deciding factor when booking a hunt?

I don't know that I look specifically for that, but since it's my hard earned money to spend however I want to, I would never knowingly/willingly spend my money with a muslim or atheist. Just being honest.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the guided hunts I have been on in my life, the subjects of politics/religion rarely or never surfaced during the trip.

It's come up several times on my trips to Africa. Normally something like the PH asking "How could Americans be so stupid to elect Obama.?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's come up several times on my trips to Africa. Normally something like the PH asking "How could Americans be so stupid to elect Obama.?

Good to know that we aren't the only ones who question that. Smiler

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never hunted Africa and both my trips to Canada took place before Obama came into office, but politics and religion are two topics that just never seem to really come up.

Someone else mentioned that there seem to always be deal breakers when booking a hunt and from experience they can take place on either side of the equation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went on a hunt last year with a guy who would go on political rants in public places.It embarrassed me as I went to hunt and enjoy myself.I leave politics and religion at home when I am visiting another hunting area.Needless to say I will make no more trips with him.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
quote:

For the record I am not an Obama fan. That said, just where in Africa is there a government that governs better than the USA? Most of what I've seen in the five ~major countries in the southern part of Africa that I've been to could look to Detroit for better ideas.

So that brings us back to the subject of the thread; politics and religion are best left at the airport and we should concentrate on the hunt.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never used a guide in the USA. Never saw the need for one. But I have used them in Canada and Africa simply because the law required it.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose it's something I ask about before going on a trip, but it might influence me going back with an outfitter that:
1. was homosexual and made a pass at me.
2. was obnoxious when talking religion or politics.
3. was a flaming democrat and I had to listen to any liberal crap at all.
4. was a drunk. drug abuser, etc.
5. a devil worshiper. I have not problem hunting with atheist or people of other faiths as long as they don't shove it in my face.
6. Acted like they were superior.
7. talked or acted disrespectfully to or even in front of my wife.

I try to be easy going. It's not my job to morally police the world or save the world. I go to hunt, but doesn't mean I will pay to be around bad behavior.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post

There are certain qualities I look for in a guide.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one I would have to see what he was drinking before I committed.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

I'd let Superman guide for me.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

His ability to fly and spot game would be a big help. dancing
I'd let Superman guide for me.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as long as I don't gotta stop 5 times a day and wait for him to pull out his rug and face east, or it's all he talks about.
I'm probably gonna be cool with his religious beliefs.

and as far as the super man guide.
if I know about it before hand I'd probably pick out a spider man suit and have some fun too.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no issue with any guide or PH's religious or political belief as long as it does not become a tiresome subject when the person finds my beliefs oppose his or hers. I've never had a client question the religion or politics of any operator I've recommended. Folks want to know about the hunting, accommodations and if their wives will be well taken care of. I will say that I would not personally book a hunt with an outfit that refused to allow me a drink at the end of the day.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12930 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will say that I would not personally book a hunt with an outfit that refused to allow me a drink at the end of the day.

That would be a deal breaker with me also. If I have a client that does not want a drink after the days hunt that is their business.

I am up front when booking clients that there will be alcohol in camp and they are welcome to it, after the days hunt is over.

If they choose not to book with me that is their business, and if they have something against alcohol in a hunting camp and expressed their concerns, I simply would not book them for a hunt and vice verse if I were booking a hunt for myself.

One aspect that I see different between North American hunting camps and African hunting camps that might lend themselves to situations where more philosophical discussions on political/religious ideology might take place, and I have zero experience with African camps, is that it seems African camps have more support staff so that the clients actually do have reasonable amounts of down time, whereas in North American camps the hunts are of a shorter duration and the camp staff may consist of just the guide, with maybe a camp cook and the hunters do not have the same amount of down time.

I may be way off base on that.

One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
I don't drink at all I hate the taste of any of it. I have No Issues with PH drinking at the end of the day. Might if he started his day that way...

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Artistry of Wildlife:
I don't drink at all I hate the taste of any of it. I have No Issues with PH drinking at the end of the day. Might if he started his day that way...

agreed.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DIs:
I would bet that there are not many liberal hunting guides or outfitters around. Maybe fishing guides.

Not the fishing guides I know. Eeker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the fishing guides I have fished with were Liberals, but then I will not fish with one that is Catch & Release ONLY.

God put them fishes here for a reason.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Just to answer Randal's original question, I've never even thought about asking a guide about ideology prior to booking a hunt. I ask about success rate and the logistics of the hunt. I don't expect political debates to break out over dinner, just a bunch of embellished tales about previous hunts.

I also like to sip some whisky after a long days hunt. beer

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, I would never ask what someone's ideologies are before a hunt. Having been on a few guided hunts, I can say that I would rather hunt again with someone I truly get along with better than people I haven't. However, since I don't get to go on many guided hunts, I haven't been able to make a return trip to the same outfitter, yet. That should change in 2016 when I Hopefully get to hunt antelope with Steve Lefforge from here again, though.

As to liberal fishing guides, I know a few around my area, not sure if they are real fishing guides, but that's what they get paid to do. I haven't fished with any of them and have no plans to. fishing bsflag killpc

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I've been on a number of low-end guided hunts.

Politics - Can't imagine having a problem with the politics of fellow hunters or outfitters.

Religion - I don't care about someone's religious beliefs but I might avoid (or think twice) about an outfitter who displays religious symbols or quotes scripture in their advertising. It's not that I object to a person's religious expression, I just want to avoid proselytizing.

Alcohol - I don't drink and prefer not to be around a bunch of drunks. My Dad didn't hunt so when I was a kid the only 'hunting' I did was with a couple of alcoholic uncles. We spent more time in bars than afield, maybe that's where my hangup came from. There's nothing wrong with a shot at the end of the day, if you're into that sort of thing, but I'd go elsewhere if it looked like I'd be hanging out with hardcore boozers on a hunt. This has never been a problem and all of the guides I've worked with had a policy of no alcohol consumption while afield.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic. I have actually been on both ends of the spectrum, I suppose. I hunt with two guides semi-regularly. With the first, the hunts are set up with a great bunch of guys I met on the internet. None of us drinks so that is not an issue. The guy who sets up the hunts for us happens to be a Christian minister, so yes, the subject of religion does come up. Not by the guide, but by the guys themselves. It can lead to some interesting discussions, but there have never been any "conflicts" over it. Mainly some interesting points to ponder. We just expect it since he is a minister. It has never turned anyone off that I know of. If you don't want to participate, fine by everyone else. The camp is big enough that you do not have to.

The second one I also found on line. I already knew the political persuasions of the guide, so that was not an issue. I don't drink, but if the guide wants to have a drink at the end of the day, it does not bother me.

I feel I have become good friends in both situations, so there are no issues. To me, everyone is different and if you can't tolerate someone different from you, then don't go. I don't care about the guide's religion, and little about their politics. I do this for fun, not because I have to. If my guide needs to pull out a rug and pray five times during the day, no sweat by me. As long as I am not asked to, I don't care.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
...I would never knowingly/willingly spend my money with a muslim or atheist...

So, you won't pay for a Muslim-guided hunt, but apparently have no issue patronizing his hunting web forum? That's ... interesting.

While Texas is no small place, you should watch less TV 'news' and get out more. Just being honest.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.” ― Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JGRaider:
...I would never knowingly/willingly spend my money with a muslim or atheist...

"So, you won't pay for a Muslim-guided hunt, but apparently have no issue patronizing his hunting web forum? That's ... interesting."

I have and I would again! There are some sheep to hunt where you couldn't find a "fine" Christian guide if your life depended on it, yet they are fine people and excellent companions! Imagine that!

Religion, drink in moderation and at the appropriate time and politics have no bearing on my outfitter/guide selection. Period.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, but I actually used to be more foul mouthed and crass.

I was a bit much for my bible slapping PH in Africa, and I ended up toning it down and doing fine.

It is nice to know what you are getting into. He had never served in the military and wasn't used to it.

Some Australian friends I hunted with when I lived in Australia were a mix of chefs and military folks. We got along well.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
There's more to this than just politics and religion. This is about two people getting along and a hunt meeting expectations. Expectations are based on past history of success in general. It isn't everything though. A hunt is, after all, more than just the seconds it takes to pull a trigger.

For instance: I have a hunt booked with Jake Jefferson to go to Alaska this year. Jake has solid success rates - not 100% but he goes the extra distance to try to find success.

Jake does not permit alcohol or smoking on his hunts. The perspective is that too many things can go wrong when booze and guns come together...and he doesn't want his tent and gear to smell like cigarettes and cigars.

For some, that's a deal breaker right there. No nightcaps or sundowners, no cigar at night.

It makes sense to me that to some degree personal preferences of the hunt do come into play. As pointed out by DIs, chances are the PH and Hunter share similar philosophies on many things. There could be a deal breaker in there somewhere though.

This is something that I do ask and is a deciding factor in my booking. I do not smoke or drink alcohol. I also want to be in a camp with a like minded guide and staff. I also do not want to share a camp with smokers and/or drinkers. Not that I have a religious/political problem with it. I'm there to hunt. Hangovers or keeping me awake at night with nightcaps and conversation disturbing my sleep is not what I want to experience. Smoking stinks and gives me a headache, again not something I want to be exposed to.
There must be other folks like me, because I never have a problem finding a guide or outfitter who can accommodate me.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote