Find
Notify
Tools

Our Rut is definitely on...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Just thought I'd post what I've observed in the last few days her in Ohio and Kentucky while bowhunting.

I live not far off of interstate 75 and in the last 4 days I've counted over 17 dead deer on a 7 mile stretch...all road kills and on both north and south bound. Half of them had their heads cut off, so I presume that they were all bucks...and since someone took the time to do it, they were probably all good ones.

I hunted in Indian Hill this morning and saw 3 new roadkills in a half mile stretch right where I start on the interstate to head south. They all looked to be does.

After my mid day siesta, I headed across the river to hunt in KY. There were 3 more dead deer since I drove that same stretch this morning. These 3 all had their heads cut off too.

No joy on either hunt today but I did see deer, just nothing in bow range.

I was almost to Crittenden, KY when I looked over on the east side of the interstate, still heading south, in someones big alfalfa field and saw a decent buck running a doe at 2pm.

3 more roadkills on the northbound interstate 75 after I left that were not there yesterday on the KY side. Then as I was about 2 miles from my exit in Ohio, I saw trooper lights on the median side. As I got closer, there were 2 wrecked cars in the median and a big dead buck between them, the antlers were shattered. I stopped to have a peek and one of the victims, (human, not deer), said she was the one that hit it. Her son had gathered up what antler he could find. as we sort of pieced it back together and looked at it on the bucks head, it would have been a 175+ deer, and this is an extraordinarily conservative judgement on my part. In reality, I would not be surprised if this deer was in the high 180's.

What a shame. The son wanted to keep all of his pseudo-trophy parts. He thought the whole thing was cool.

In the last week, the trooper stated to me that the median guard (you know, those frail little pieces of metal posts in the median with the metal cable) had to be repaired at least a dozen times in this particular 7 mile stretch, and so far there are now 3 more areas waiting to be repaired.

I asked the trooper if I could set up a bow blind in the median. He smiled and said, "I don't think so." "Traffic seems to be doing a good job at thinning the herd."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, I agree, all kinds of road kills on the KY and OH roads. I had to take a buddy up to Zanesville yesterday and we saw at least 14 road kills. We saw one smaller Buck standing about 250yds off the Interstate in the middle of a Bean field at 8:03AM. He didn't seem to have a care in the world.

You mentioned hunting the "medians". Between Cincy and Louisville, I-71 spreads out between the lanes in two long stretches. Those areas are absolutely packed with Deer. The KY Hunting Regs were modified to prevent Hunting out in the medians because of these two segments a good number of years ago.

They even have some "Game Tunnels" built under the road in a couple of spots to allow the Deer and other critters easy crossing. First time I saw them I figured that was a total waste of TAXES, but some of the Deer are in fact using them.

The wide median near LaGrange, KY used to have Beavers on the creek. They had to force them out because they got the dams so large that a heavy rain would flood the Southbound lanes.

Some Animal Lovers in LaGrange decided they wanted to "protect" the Deer in the median by having the State erect a 6 foot high fence along the length of the wide section. Yes, 6 foot high!!! Quite commical to see the write-ups in the paper about it. Just shows you what the ARFs really know about Deer.

Best of luck to ALL of you this Season! (Well, except the ARFs. )

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote