Find
Notify
Tools

moose hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For anyone who has shot moose/a moose.
What kind of distance are moose shot at? I know that"s a very broad question, but for somewhere like Canada, with heavy forest and swamps, what distance?
I"d like to hear from anyone who has shot them, how far and what with?
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Yep....closest one about 12 yards, furthest close to 550 yards, average everyday shot....between 80 and 125 yards.

I've used everything from the .25-06 to the .375 H&H.

Not all moose hunting is in heavy forest and swamps. Some of the best moose hunting I have experienced has been in very open terrain in the mountains and north of the tree line.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1847 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Four Bull Moose encounters in my life to date. First 35 yards (.308), timber. Second 400 yards (.308) open taigia country. Third 320 yards (.30-06) open taigia. Fourth 60 yards (.375 H&H) in timber.

Tasty ribs... will do this again!

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Over the years, closest called in and shot @ 5yrds, further was 475yrds. Average is about 100-150. On the cutlines, thru cutblocks, in heavy timber. Depends on how close you can call them in and if they dont spook sneeking up on them. If on a quad or pickup-keep the vehicle/atv running- as soon as you shut it off first they spook and are gone.

Last 10 years the moose have been taken with a 300WM with 180gr. bullets.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anywhere from 10 yards to 350 all of them were shot with a .300 win mag with 180's or a 30-06 with 180's.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. I"m afraid of buying a bigger gun (like a win mag) and then shooting a moose at 50 yds when my 308 would have been adequate. I think I"ll just keep tinkering with loads for the 308 till I get something that shoots into 2" or 3" at 200yds with a 165-180 premium bullet. A bullet in the base of the ear at 50 yds sort of negates the "which 30 calibre " arguement!
good shooting.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't be silly man,

tons of huge moose are shot around here every year with .308's 30-06's 30-30's and .303's shoot a 180 grain bullet and never look back. No matter what anybody tells you you don't need a magnum to take down a moose. My first 11 moose were all taken with a 30-06 shooting cheap federal ammunition with 180 grain softpoints. No need to aim behind the ear, just hold behind the shoulder and knock the lungs out of the moose.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose are not hard to kill in my experiences.....a well placed shot from a .308 with a good bullet will do the trick anytime. Moose seem to have an uncanny ability to take a bullet and remain standing, giving you time to put another one in the boiler room if needed....rarely do they take off at full-tilt after being shot.

Posts: 94 | Location: East Kootenays | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote