THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hunting in the Austin, TX area in February?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in the Austin, TX area in February?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
Hi all. I have business in Austin in early February, and would be interested in doing some hunting while there since I have never hunted in Texas. Please give me your sugeestions; I am open to birds, small game, deer, pigs, etc., or some combination thereof.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bird season is over by then. Pigs, Javalina, Deer on Managed lands are in season. Texas is basically all private and hunts are pay as you go. What type of budget are we working with?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Hi M16.

I am mostly interested in getting out and seeing some different country, rather than in looking for a trophy, so I am basically trying to go cheap (less than $1,000), or even better, free. Big Grin

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
You're probably looking at pigs and javelina with a $1K budget.

You might be able to hunt an exotic for just a little more cash.

Good luck

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might get whitetail doe or spike buck for that price on an MLD property. Lots of exotic possibilities pretty close to Austin.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's always exotic season in Texas!
You should be able to shoot some Axis does for that money.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Bird season is over by then. Pigs, Javalina, Deer on Managed lands are in season. Texas is basically all private and hunts are pay as you go. What type of budget are we working with?

Actually quail is still open till the end of february.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Double that amount and head a couple of hours south and you can hunt nilgai during the rut.... now that is fun!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote