New
Find
Notify
Tools

100th deer 50th 8 point or better
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This past Saturday I shot my 100 deer and 50th 8 point or better.I used my 264 win instead of old faith my 338 win mag Ruger.The 155 grain lapula bullet did a good job through both shoulders ,the only shot I had.It took about 20 seconds for the buck to die.I been use to the 338 win mag that knocks the stuffing out of them with Winchester 200 gr power points.I am probally going to stick to the 338 win mag in the thick stuff.I have shot 80 deer with 80 shots using my 338 the past 25 years .I used the 30-06 and 243 before that and was not at all impressed with them.The 264 did awesome on pronghorn out far but the jury is still outfor me on big bucks in the timber.I got this buck on the ground running a scrape line.It was about as awesome as it gets.He met me at the same time at one of his scrapes and I had only a 6" wide part of his shoulder to shoot .I made the shot and he got stuck in a tree trying to run.I still like the no running and dying in their tracks with the 338 win mag better.The 264 win mag with this bullet did little meat dammage as the 338 does little dammage either with the 200 gr.I dont know about using the 264 on anthing bigger than deer.The deer i shot was in full rut and they are as tough as nails when they are.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That's quite a testimony to the great .338 Win Mag I must say... The more I hear of it the more it appears to be one of our most effective all-purpose rounds.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a pre 64 model 70 featherweight for about 20 some years now and love the caliber. I have taken 7 elk with the gun and only once were the results maginal and that was with the first elk I evr shot. I hit it five times before it hit the ground. In defense of the caliber I was pretty excited and never really gave the elk a chance to fall.

I have tried several bullets but now only use the Noslar partion 140 grain. I use this from elk to whitetail. Saty away from the balistic tips with this caliber. I thought it would be a great choice but I have had very poor results. The 125 partition is not bad but I have decieded to stay with the 140 for everything. I use IMR 4350.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only tried the 155 grain Lapula on Deer and pronghorn.It had the least bloodshot of any bullet I have ever seen on deer.I hope to shoot another big buck with it in the open so i can see how it does.I have heard of good results with the partition also.I bet the 155 gr lapula does awesome further out on deer.Its just hard to switch when your gun shoots 3/8" groups at 200 yards with the 155 gr lqapula.They were designed for moose in Sweden for the 6.5x55.I am pushingh them around 2900 fps.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote