Tools

Our Utah Elk Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As a Utah resident, our public land hunting can be good and bad, as far
as success rates go. For me, lately, its been all about just getting out
to hunt! With a full time job, business, and some online classes I am dealing
with, there is hardly ever time to get out- OK, enough whining!

I usually have my Texan friends up here hunting and really enjoy their company. However,
this year it would be my dad (who is 69 and still does great in the hills), my 16 year old
son, and a friend. I had a cow and bull tag, my son a cow tag, my dad a bull tag, and my
friend a cow tag.

Fortunately, the hunt area is quite large. The first few days we hunted cows with no success. We then
split up with my son going with my friend and me and my dad going in another direction. We had not seen
a lot of elk in the past two years and did not have high expectations. I commented to my dad that we
always see elk when we never expect it. A few minutes later, a bull was standing right in front of us. My dad raised his gun and was just getting ready to fire and the elk bolted. We were both a little disappointed. However, that is hunting!

Later that evening we split up again. This time I brought my wife as an observer and my 16 year old son. We hunted until later in the evening and decided to make our way out. About 20 minutes before shooting hours
ended, we were driving by a friends field that was private. There were 6 head of cows in the field that
seemed a little unsure as to where they wanted to go.

I had my son call the landowner and he gave us the OK to shoot. I told my son that they were probably headed back to public land and would pass right by us. Sure enough, they started coming single file. I told my son I would count to three and then we would shoot. Something went wrong when I said "one" and he shoots! He dropped the cow immediately. I was fine with it as I was just glad that he got his elk. As we made our way towards it, the elk were still there, not know exactly where to go. This is rare as they are usually gone after one shot. I picked out a cow and shot. It ran about 20 yards and dropped. We put a finishing shot into each of our elk although the first shots were good. To me, there are few, if any animals I have hunted, that are tougher than an elk (and that includes African Plains Game).

The shots were not long as the elk were only 125-150 yards away. I was happy with that and am glad that we were not chasing any wounded elk. My son was shooting my Browning 30-06 with fusion bullets. The bullet worked great. I was shooting a Ruger 300 Win that I bought last year. With three sons hunting, I have had to switch rifles a few times Smiler. However, I believe we are now good to go. I was also shooting fusion 180 grain bullets.
The elk were in very good shape and that was great to see.

I might sneak out a few times this week and see if I can get a bull. However, the hunt has already been a success.

The best part of the hunt was seeing my sons excitement. It does not matter if I kill an elk or not, anymore. I still get excited but it is more enjoyable seeing the success of one of my kids.

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you sounds like some fine eating.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Dad!!

Your boys are lucky to have a Dad that hunts and wants to pass it on to them.

When they take their kids hunting some day, memories that you are making for them now, will coming flooding back to them and will remain with them for the rest of their days.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great, always more enjoyable doing it with family. I tagged along with Dad from the time I was 9 elk hunting, at 14 got my own '06 and killed the first bull of my 13 elk.

Missed out taking my kids due to div when they were young.

Not many areas of Utah have elk, those that do, are great hunting areas with lots of game I've been told.

Your Dad is about 5 yrs younger than me.
Hope his knee's hold out longer than mine have.

Good story, you have any pictures?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from my first Utah hunt. Got a 6 point as icing on the cake. Magical country. I shall return.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi George:

I appreciate the kind words (as well as the other posters). I do not have great pics, but I do have a few. If you would like, pm me your email and I will send some over. I have a field pic after it got dark and a pic of one of the hanging elk. I should have done a better job.

Yes, Utah does have some great elk hunting in limited areas. However, to draw a limited entry tag is tough. The fish and game has the "trophy" model of management. However, that is changing as tag numbers are increasing.

I have never hunted Colorado but they seem, given the many elk tags and bull success, a model of management that I like. However, that argument is probably for another thread.

My sons are 16, 20, and 21. I have missed a lot of hunts with them due to work and school activities. However, they have been successful several times. It sure is fun seeing a young hunter catch the hunting fever!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
Just got back from my first Utah hunt. Got a 6 point as icing on the cake. Magical country. I shall return.

Navaluk:

I am very glad you enjoyed my home state and glad you was successful. I hope you have many more great
hunts here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My sons are 16, 20, and 21. I have missed a lot of hunts with them due to work and school activities

It is amazing how many hunter's who pass up hunting opportunities.

For "school activities" What is going to stay with them longer hunting with their dad or school activities.

I seen many dads invest a lot in ball sports then complain when their kids don't hunt with them.

Take them hunting missing some school isn't a big deal.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Good job

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
My sons are 16, 20, and 21. I have missed a lot of hunts with them due to work and school activities

It is amazing how many hunter's who pass up hunting opportunities.

For "school activities" What is going to stay with them longer hunting with their dad or school activities.

I seen many dads invest a lot in ball sports then complain when their kids don't hunt with them.

Take them hunting missing some school isn't a big deal.

I can tell you one thing, I would rather my sons hunt more. However, they chose to participate (2 of them) in high school football
and wrestling. It was their choice and I never pushed them into it. Once they made that commitment to the team, I expected them
to fulfill it by participating as required. I went to the games and we did miss a lot of hunting.

All I can do is make an effort to find balance. I am a school teacher but will say that it is unfortunate that there is so much required time
away from home in today's world. Its too bad that there is not more time to hunt! However, this topic is probably best for another thread.

And to answer your question: for most, the hunting experiences will stay with them the longest.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good job on the elk and the story.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job! Enjoy the meals.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1102 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can tell you one thing, I would rather my sons hunt more. However, they chose to participate (2 of them) in high school footballand wrestling. It was their choice and I never pushed them into it. Once they made that commitment to the team, I expected themto fulfill it by participating as required. I went to the games and we did miss a lot of hunting.

We well have to disagree.

But I firmly believe parents should be greatly involved in the choices their children make.

You showed them that hunting is not a priority but football and wrestling are.

It is easy to fall to the liberal thinking parents should not tell their children what to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I can tell you one thing, I would rather my sons hunt more. However, they chose to participate (2 of them) in high school footballand wrestling. It was their choice and I never pushed them into it. Once they made that commitment to the team, I expected themto fulfill it by participating as required. I went to the games and we did miss a lot of hunting.

We well have to disagree.

But I firmly believe parents should be greatly involved in the choices their children make.

You showed them that hunting is not a priority but football and wrestling are.

It is easy to fall to the liberal thinking parents should not tell their children what to do.

First off I am having a hard time understanding how much we are really disagreeing. Secondly, my intention of this thread was to not open
up a debate on the methods of good parenting. Third, I would appreciate it if you would not speculate that I am making a "priority" on
"football and wrestling" when I am not.

You are twisting my words around and making this out to be something that it is not. I introduced my kids to hunting and fishing when they could walk,
they decided to hunt, fish, and play sports. One kid likes fishing best, the other sports the best, the other it is a toss up. To me that is fine.
In fact, all three of my kids do not like hunting to the degree that I do. That is fine as well.

And if you are assuming I am "falling into the liberal way of thinking" you are entirely off base.

And please, do not continue to debate me on how I parent. This was not the intention of the thread. Feel free to send me a PM.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
sounds like a fun hunt! I LOVE hunting with family!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never brought the subject up you did.

Personally I find nothing better than hunting with my children they are in there 30's now.

I rather see them shoot game than myself.

But we still maintain a friendly competitive I got one.

I been known to let one go so "kids" can.

I am looking forward to my grandchildren hunting.

I ask my 2 yoa grand son what to you do with deer, bear ect.

He says HUNT EM. When my son was 3 he was asked about rabbits his reply was, cut em up and eat em

There is a reason my daughter spent over 80 hours this bear season getting her bear.

About six years ago the last day of deer rifle season my son was laying on my parents couch.

I said you haven't got your buck yet lets go hunting. he started to complain. I told him his wife and his mother told him get your lazy butt up and go.

He shot his biggest buck so far the last half and hour of season. He thanked me for dragging him out.

Now he's dragging me out to go hunting.

It would have been so much easier just to let him say no.

There is a reason the whole family heads to the hunting shack for opening deer season weekend.

My wife shot her 50th deer a couple weeks ago, with a cross bow.

There is a reason that we are hunting on Sunday afternoon instead of watching some ball sport on TV.

I hope in another 10 years your children are hunting with you.

That they take time to bring the grand children hunting

I hope you are not hunting by yourself wondering where are my sons.

All of us hunters if we want to pass the tradition on we need to work at it.

I am glad you had a great elk hunt as I said before and hope you have a lot more.

The anti's have done a fantastic job making other things more important and socially acceptable.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The idea that each of us and our families spend as much time hunting as we can or choose to should be good enough for everyone.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
sounds like a fun hunt! I LOVE hunting with family!

I agree 724. There is nothing better than seeing your family members be successful. We have had a great, past, few years hunting. Bear and elk hunting, and in a few weeks a mule deer hunt with my son.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Enjoy hunting with your sons while you can. I wished I had hunted more with my Dad. Conglads on the elk. My season starts Saturday----we are getting some snow. Hope it works out.

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason thanks for the picture offer. Might yet.

Bob: where's the snow? Over here all we can see is rain clouds. Sure feels like it's falling somewhere though.

IT's time about 4 feet fell up high. hope it does to save on tag soup.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were pounded with snow last night!

The freeway (near Lyman Wy) is closed. PM me your email and I will send you some pic's.

I still have a bull tag and will head back out tomorrow