New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite Camoflage
 Login/Join

<Howitzer>
posted
My kinda partial to realtree hardwoods. The new high definition stuff looks pretty good in the pictures as well. Opinions?

regards Howitzer

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I only wear camo during bow season and turkey season when there are leaves on the trees so I like Mossy Oak full foliage.

------------------
Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the mossy oak and timberghost patterns

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the old G.I. stuff, I 'm not a fan of this new hardmossrealghost camo that has been the rage for the last 15 or so years. I do not dislike it because it does not work, I dislike it because it is too trendy.
Most of the time I don't wear any, I just wear dark/subdued colors and stay in the shadows.

Posts: 62 | Location: MN | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the camo these guys use!

www.trackerschool.com

Personally, I like Mossy Oak Break Up or dark or natural-colored clothes that are a little faded.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Predator for my Bowhunting. Spring Green Turkey and Early Season before the leaves change and the n Fall Brown and Fall Grey depending on conditions. The grey works great with scattered snow on the ground. I don't own a set of the winter white found for ground hunting even in snow there is enought browns and greys in the bush here in Ohio, that it dosn't cause to many problems for me at least.

http://www.predatorcamo.com/

Many stories to tell ....

Greg

------------------
"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Predator is nice stuff. I use a bit of everything and tend to mix and match and modify to fit my specific environment. Forest floor bottoms and a hardwoods top for early turkey season is one example.

For me, there's no question that these new camo designs help to diguise a person from game.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I am convinced that it does not make much difference what camo you use as long as it breaks up your outline. The key is to work the wind and most importantly to not move. To answer your question, I prefer Mossy Oak's Break-Up.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<hunting1>
posted
Realtree brown is my first choice and second is Natgear. The predator and ASAT is great, but very expensive and GI issue works just as good if you are not worried about keeping up with trends. Good shooting!

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Over here I use the old Rhodisian commo, it works very well

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Madddman>
posted
Predator is the only camo I'll use for deer.I still use the Mossy oak stuff for spring turkey though (Too cheap to buy the Predator green ).
Mad

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Any of the WWII SS patterns. In pertiucular the 1944 Pea pattern. I don't mess with the comercial patterns.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have all kinds of differant camo a lot depends on the time of year and leaf cover. Then then is winter and snow camo. But when I do wear camo I like wearing two differant types one type on top another pattern on the bottom. This really helps break you up.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I have a ex German Army Flecktarn pattern parka for use in the woods. They cost $15 at the surplus store.

Bearclaw: you would like it - it is very similar to some of those SS patterns.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have used many from the second hand G.I. stuff to Mossy Oak Break-up. For me I have come to the conclusion that the "high definition" stuff can stick out as much as any solid color. Try hanging up a set of your favorite camo in your hunting area and walking away. If you can turn around and see it clearly at 30 yards then so can every animal that lives there and walks the same trails every day! One of these tests and you'll likely be shopping again.

I do like predator camo in some places and Sticks-n-limbs breaks up pretty well also. In the western U.S. I like Nat Gear, Prarie Ghost, or faded GI woodland. I have some GI desert tiger-stripe that is very effective in the desert/ arid type areas. More than the print, the color and tones are most important. Neutral colors and being still will be far more effective than anything high definition.
Pattern yourself and your actions after the biggest kitty in the woods where you are, they are successful predators.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
ABSOLUTLY! Which one of my children do you want?
[Big Grin] I wear a 46 coat.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
I am convinced that it does not make much difference what camo you use as long as it breaks up your outline. The key is to work the wind and most importantly to not move.

I think you raced ahead to the bottom line of this subject, Bob. I once came across 50 yards of a dry lake bed and up to within 15 yds of TWO mule deer bucks before I got careless and stepped on a stick. I was wearing grease paint and just old garden variety camos from Cabelas. This was years before we got all these "designer camos."

I believe to sole purpose of camoflague is to break up your natural outline. The important thing is NOT to look like what you really are!

For my money the more generic patterns, like past and present military camos, are best because their colors and patterns will blend with a broader spectrum of situations. On the other hand, most of the newer "cool camo patterns" are quite specialized to their habitat and would look ridiculous in other settings or times of year. And I think they offer little if any real advantage even when they are used in the right place at the right time.

I've seen some REALLY scarey things done with regular old camoflauge. People, and I suppose animals also, look for PATTERNS/SHAPES. IF that pattern or shape is different from what you are looking for.....it may as well be invisible!

A good example is the other night when I was looking for a jar of peanut butter in the pantry. Little did I know my wife bought a different brand! Really messed with my mind until she finally came and got it for me. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personaly like a Ghillie Suit. Man I fell asleap next to a logging road this turkey season and my cousin almost stepped on me before he saw me. I had deer walk right past me as I moved my arms to see if they noticed. They never acted alarmed. I don't know how you could bow hunt in one though. I want one in white and black for the winter Muzzle loader season. Don't think they sell them though. I might have to make one. Other than that I like any of the Mossy Oak
Stuff.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have many types and have photographed some of it side by side in the field as well as studied for the most effective.

I like predator fall brown, apparition skyline, and the WWII woodland with lots of tan the best.

Most of the walmart stuff, ie, advantage is not that good in the field, too dark and solid at distance.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote