Find
Notify
Tools

elk hunting...the hard way
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I am looking for a good unit in New Mexico or Colorado to learn so I can do a do-it-yourself elk hunt. Anybody willing to give up there honey-hole?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37855 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping yuck

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you. I wish I had a great spot to share.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you hunt anywhere other than Texas? I am told it is the best looking country with the best game anywhere. But that was info from texans and we all know about texans don't we Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you would have just thought to ask that question 2 weeks ago I would have directed you straight to my dead, frozen elk on the upper side of a Colorado mountain. But no, you waited until now...too bad.

Wink

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of elk all over western Colorado and tags are mostly "over the counter". There is lots of reasonable hunting but "honey holes" take about 16 or more years of building up preference points. If you want to hunt the Craig area I can help with where elk may be, but where they are is a day to day matter.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote