New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 load for Boar
 Login/Join

<Lasse>
posted
I am going boar hunting here in Sweden this autumn and would appreciate some tips on suitable bullets and loads in .308 Win. I currently load with Norma Vulcan 200 gr and Sierra game king 180 gr for Moose and Roe.

Also any tips on price worthy scopes with good light characteristics for night hunting in moonlight would be nice.

Thanks
Lasse

<Mads>
posted
Lasse - as I see it theres is only one load for the .308 win to consider if you will use it for Big big game!

180 grains Nosler Partition.
Norma brass
5333 RWS Magnum primer
And 50,0 grains Norma N204

This load gives about 800 m/s from a 22" barrel! And it shoots very well to! If I were you I would try that load for Boar aswell as for Mooose!

Regards

Mads

<monz>
posted
Hej Lasse. I�m also looking for a load suitable for boar, even if i�ve got a 9,3x62 to for that.
For smaller game deer, fallow deer and mouflon, I will use the 150gr Scirocco and also try the 150gr Nosler BST.
But I find theese bullets to light for boar so i will probablu try the A-frames 165 or 180 grains or the Woodleighs similar weights.
I have good experience from both of theese bullets in 9,3x62, the penetration and weight retention is awesome.
Good luck with the boar hunt.
(om h�r finns m�nga stavfel beror det nog p� att jag inte har mina linser p�, s� jag f�r skrtiva lite p� k�nm.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
180 gr. Nosler....lots of tough hide there.

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stay at your 200grains Norma. I am using it for years now for boars, and had no problems which were caused by the bullet.

Best regards

Posts: 147 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .308 is a superb choice, and the Nosler 180 would be hard to beat.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Many 308s have a 1:12" twist barrel and will not properly stabilize a 200 grain bullet. For this reason I recommend a 180 grain as the heaviest 308 bullet, unless you know your twist is 1:10".

At the moderate velocities of the 308 almost any 180 grain flatbase bullet will do a good job. The 180 grain Nosler Partition has served me extremely well.

Do NOT get the newer Nosler Protected Point Partition for the 308. It is designed for the 300 WinMag and will not open reliably from the 308. I learned this the hard way...

Don

<Safarischorsch>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Lasse:
I am going boar hunting here in Sweden this autumn and would appreciate some tips on suitable bullets and loads in .308 Win. I currently load with Norma Vulcan 200 gr and Sierra game king 180 gr for Moose and Roe.

Also any tips on price worthy scopes with good light characteristics for night hunting in moonlight would be nice.

Thanks
Lasse

Boars are quite hard... and so the bullet should be hard ,too.
165grain CDP, 180grain TUG, 165gr Swift A-Frame( Norma load) or the nosler partition would be fine but 9,3 or 8x68S would be better for boars because even with 3006 the bullet often does not exit!