New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What's Your Sheep Hunting Rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took my only Dall sheep in Alaska using a factory Ruger M77 in 270 Win and 130 gr Rem CL bullets. Scope was a 4X Leupold.

Posts: 51 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sevens;

i did not know that the .300 w.m. was still offered in a long action anymore?

i beleive this round to be superior at longer ranges and with heavier bullets than 190 grs. than the w.s.m. and we share same opinion.

i thought that the rem' titanium is a lot of gun for the money. i shot my friends gun, 3 shots with factory ammo 5/8" off bench. whats wrong with that for a factory gun with a trigger job? check it out. i think they offer it in a magnum now. he bought his at my suggestion at that time 06 was the heaviest caliber offered. use it with federal h.e. ammo avoid the trophy bonded.

good hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used an XP-100 6.5-284 on my 300 yd. '02 CO ram-- u can see it here-- www.perry-systems.com-- Hunter/Author testimonial. I'm a backpack hunter and have developed a huge appreciation for compact and portable equipment over the years. So has my partner-- his rig is a super light custom XP in 7.82 Patriot. I have a CO goat permit this yr. and i'm gonna use a custom switch-barrel Sav. Striker in .270 WSM. If i was gonna build another custom big game specialty pistol tho-- it'd be a light-barrelled 7 RSAUM on the Striker.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheep gun...hmmm, chose what ever caliber suits you best, you are comfortable to shoot, and have shot the most. Sheep are not hard to kill, it is where they live that makes them tough to hunt. My .243 has whacked sheep just fine. As far as guns go, I would definately chose a light gun (because you'll have to walk on this hunt!) with a composite stock. A firearm that is light to carry, but a horse can fall on (or you can fall on for that matter) and won't break the stock. I would also chose a premium scope, with some Butler Creek scope covers (keep the rain, sleet, and snow out of). Essentially you want an all weather, shooting machine with an excellent action that is grime proof, shock proof, fog proof, horse proof, rock proof and easy for the operator to handle.

My .02

MG

<allen day>
posted
I don't like rifles that weigh less than eight pounds. My sheep rifle is Model 70 in .300 Win. Mag. with a 24" barrel. It weighs 9 lbs. scoped, loaded, with sling, and ready to go.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a stock Tikka .300 WinMag 9 1/2 lbs with a Schmidt&Bender 6x42 scope, using 180 grs Federal Premium ammo with 180 grs nosler partitions.

Too heavy, magnification on the scope too low, but it's what I have and what I'll use. I've seriously thought about taking up my 9.3x62 with 247 grs Cone Point bullets from RWS, since I doubt if I'll be able to hold the crosshairs on anything further than 200 meters, and I *love* that rifle, but I changed my mind because the flatter .300 will give me more margin for error.

But with 8 days to go till opening day, and not a ram sighted I'm getting a bit anxious...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built the following rifle specifically for sheep. I started with a Mauser M96 in 6.5x55. I turned the barrel down to featherweight dimensions and cut it to 21.5". I put in a Timney trigger. I installed a M70 type swing safety. I converted it from cock on close to cock on open. I drastically reshaped the bottom metal, reducing weight significantly. I got a McMillan stock in Pre-64 M70 configuration. I drilled and tapped the receiver, put a Leupold 6X scope on with Redfield JR bases and Redfield bottom access rings. I have a 1 1/4" leather military sling. I shoot Barnes 120 gr XLC bullets, 3 into 1" at a 100 yards. I have shot a Dall, a Stone, and a Bighorn with it, all using the same reloaded case (which is set back all loaded waiting for a Desert tag). Ranges have been 80 yards, about 200 yards (not measured), and 232 yards. On those hunts I have also shot a Mtn. Caribou and a Mtn. Goat, both died with a single hole in them. This rifle is relatively light at 7 pounds empty, not counting the sling, and has proved to me that the 6.5x55 cartridge is plenty for sheep. Indeed, I could ask for nothing more. Every guide has complimented the rifle, and all have raved about the "quiet" compared to the big boomers they see with the vast majority of their clients. Each to his own!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kimber Model 84 in .308 Winchester. Topped with a Kahles 3-9x42 TDS. Well balanced and around 7 pounds. Shoots 168 TSX at 2800 fps and .6 MOA. TDS calibrated and tested to 550 yards.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Mine is a custom M70 .280 that weighs 7.3# scoped & loaded. I think you can do it w/ several factory rigs; Kimber, Rem. M7 or M700TI come to mind. From .260 to 30-06, you should be able to find a lt.wt. rifle & scope combo staying around 7#. If weight is truly a concideration, stay away from the big 50mm scopes, you'll save over a pound there!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote