New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Locked-horn elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
thats somrthing special. they are great pictures. it is a shame but they did save the one elk.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore,
Mother Nature is very cruel by human stanards. I was busting your chops in my prior post. I also feel bad about the long suffering death. It must be the Walt Disney in us. Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
Here I go again, being the voice of caution. The guy trying to separate these two has a pile of guts, or is just plain stupid. Having once fallen, carrying a Elk rack, I can tell you it ain't pleasant being poked by those tines, never mind having the owner trying to drive them into you.
Grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Grizzley Adams-

I think you are right, either that live bull was totally exhausted, or that guy was just lucky.

If the bull has any strength left, that would have been a very pointy rodeo. I be will to bet the other bull didn't make it, just because he didn't have the strength to knock that guy around.

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something like this happened in the Bull Mountains of MT this last year. They brought in a young local kid who was starting bow hunting. He shot the remaining elk (it's a bow-only region). It wasn't very sporting, but what a trophy! I've seen a double deer mount that was also locked together at a rancher's house. Since they were locked, he had them shoulder mounted at a 90deg and put them in a corner. Pretty cool.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mikea
I remember that! I couldn't believe it when I read it in the Billings Gazette. In fact, when I saw the post, I thought it might've been that same story. True, not very sporting, but if I had a chance to get out of school, and shoot a locked horn elk, methinks that the "sporting" discrepency would be like my attendance in school that day...nonexistant. That kid was one lucky son of a gun!

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
SCW
A local hunting mag ran some pics of a Aussie deer hunter who shot a red deer that had the complete skull and antlers of another red deer locked onto it. The deer was near exhustion as it had to (as was belived) drag around a whole carcuss untill the neck vertebra gave way. I might still have the mag at home I'll have a look and scan the pics.

Posts: 8052 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote