THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What would you use ONLY for antelope?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you use ONLY for antelope?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Doc, the 257 Weatherby is just the ticket for your itch!! It sounds like that is where you are headed. I will look forward to seeing the final rifle propped against a pronghorn!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

One thing I didn't catch, might have overlooked it, but are you wanting to BUY a rifle, or BUILD a rifle?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i'm building a Yugo M24/47, 6mm Remington, Wheeler bolt,walnut stock, Meier Works Floorplate Release Lever, Nikko Stirling Gold Series 3X9-42AO scope, Bold Premium trigger, DAYTON TRAISTER MARK II SAFETY. i understand the wind bucking thing, but i figure if you wait for the right shot and get a little closer, then no worries! but i have backups, too... .270, 6.5x55, 7x57, 7mm Mag, 300 mag...

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a 270, 280 7mm rem a couple 30 cal magnuns and they all worked just fine. I tried a 25-06 one year and it did everything the larger calibres did with less meat damaged. I've used 100 gr and 115 gr BT's with very good results. The last couple I have taken have been with a 257 Wby and 120 gr bullets. It seems to be just a little more of a real good thing. The next time I hunt antelope it will depend on how much walking is going to be involved. My 25-06 is quite a bit lighter and would get the nod. If less walking is involved it is hard to leave the 257 Wby at home. Decisions!

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
This is an easy question, a no brainer.. Big Grin
Answer: 25-06

Excellent choice!!

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
.257 Wby.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having only shot three antelope, I don't have the experience that many do, but here goes. The first one was shot while standing at 400 yards with a Rem 700 factory in .243 shooting 100gr Honrnady light magnum bullets at about 2950 fps. The buck trotted about 30 yards and fell but the bullet did not exit after entering just behind the near front leg. The second one was shot while standing at 185 yards with a factory Win model 70 in .270 shooting 130 grain Sierra bullets and H4831sc powder at 3100 fps. It fell where it was standing and died immediately. The last one was shot with a .257 DGR built by Duane Spooner in a Rem model 7 and a Douglas 24 inch tube shooting 100 grain ballistic tips at 3150 fps. This one was shot while walking at 250 yards and required 3 shots due to operator error. Based on this limited experience, I think that the .25 calibers are the minimum with 6.5's and .277's probably better all around choices especially if mule deer are also on the agenda.Scopes were 3.5X10 Vari-3's.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. Ruger No. 1B in .25-06 with a 4-12X Leupold Vari-X II and shooting 100-grain bullets.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
due to my vantage point and the muzzle blast, all i saw through the scope was legs in the air haha! guy that was spotting for me on my stalk via radio said he jumped straight up, did a back flip, landed, kicked once and that was all she wrote. from where i took my shot, i could only see the top 2/3's of the 'lope. I think the 300 performed quite nicely

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
Doc,

One thing I didn't catch, might have overlooked it, but are you wanting to BUY a rifle, or BUILD a rifle?

Dude....dude dude dude.....I'm going to have one built. I did my time with factory fodder and have no complaints. I enjoy the fabrication of a custom rifle to MY specs.

BTW, now that you brought that up, who here recommends what smith?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt it would have to be a 257 weatherby. I have a 270 wsm that works wonders with 130 grain ballistic tips, but my dream antelope rifle is definitely a 257 Roy.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dream rifle would be a 6.5/06 with a 24 or 26-inch barrel on a mauser-style action with a very good, but not fancy, walnut stock.

what do i actually use? a CZ m550 american in 7x57, 23-inch barrel with a turkish walnut stock; it performs very, very well.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc,

Since you asked, I use Tip Burns in Canyon Lake, Texas. He has done three rifles for the Houston Safari Club including last years President's Rifle which was auctioned for $15,000. All he takes is custom work now, no general gunsmithing, except for a few of his poor friends like me. He just finished Cindy Garrison's new rifle ( I got to shoulder it so her cheek will rest where mine did...as close as I will get to her). He also does a fair bit of work building sniper rifles for police departments. Tip just finished up my 7mm STW this week.

Here is a link to his web-site: Burns Link

......and no, I am not related or on the payroll!

Good Luck,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.257 Roberts on a Rem. 700 action, 24 inch barrel.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dang since you're building a rifle, that makes this MUCH harder lol. Pure antelope rifle though? Hmm.....257 SWT, or maybe a 6.5 STW/RUM/Wthy. I forget what its called, but Z-hat has a 6.5/7mm RUM wildcat with correct headstamped brass IIRC.

I can't really speak on gunsmiths from personal experience as of yet. I'm using a buddy from another gun forum that moved down the street from me when he was in 'smith school. He's done some great work for other board members, and a few projects for my bro. Some other guys here in CO that I know speak VERY highly of Rich Reily at High Tech Customs (htcustoms.com) I've had the pleasure of speaking with Rich and he's a great guy and really knows his stuff. Only problem is time lines, his rifles take a bit long as he spends a lot of time in AK guiding bear

One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
257 Weatherby...I had Christian Arms build me one awhile back...I've killed several speed goats with the 110 Gr. Accubond and 115 Gr. Ballistic Tips...Every single one fell and quivered like it was struck by lightening.

Posts: 183 | Location: Where the deer and antelope play | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
It's late...That should be Christensen Arms...

Posts: 183 | Location: Where the deer and antelope play | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Ruger Stainless model 77s in 264 Win mag.I would buy one of the limited model 700s CDL with the fluted 26" barrel.It wacks pronhorn like crazy with out blowing them away.I shot two with 155 gr mega tip Lapula bullets at 350 yards.They flipped in their tracks.My guns shoot 3/8" groups at 100 yards with this bullet and 3/4" at 200 yards.I love those 264 win mags awesome.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can make cheap brass from 7 mm rem mag unlike the Weatherby brass.I load Remington 140 gr Corelocks for about $4 a box of 20.Thats chesper than 22 mag ammo.I like the 140 gr corelock also but it only shoots 1" groups at 100 yards in my gun.I bought 1000 of the Lapula 155 gr mega tips and 1000 of the Remington corelocks and got 500 pcs of once fired 7 mm rem mag for $40.I love shooting these guns.The people in Mt who ranch I hunted said they never saw pronghorns flip like when I shot them with so little meat damage.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6MM Remington pushing 95 grain Ballistic Tips to 3100 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. Works fine near and far.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I have used since 1974, .243 WIN. with 85gr. Speer SPBT. It's worked for me.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
another vote for the "Roy"

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only hunted antelope once, back in 1981. My gun was a Rem 700, .270, with handloads. 130 gr. nosler part., ww cases, 60 gr. H4831. If I was to pick a dedicated antelope rifle cal., it would be a .25-06, with 115 gr. handloads. Heres a pic of the buck, way back then.

Mad dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use the 270 Winchester regular for mine, but if buying today would probably look for a 270 WSM for just a bit more sizzle...either will do the trick in the winds...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
257 Rob AI on a Mauser action, 24" tube. It thinks its a 25-06 with less muzzle blast.. Love that gun..

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me in on the voting for a Ruger No.1 .25-06. Put a quality 3x9, 3.5x10, or 4x12 on it and shoot what ever 100-120 grain bullets it groups best with.

I did this exercise years ago. The one I have in the gun safe wears a 3x9 Zeiss and loves the 110 grain Accubonds.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Either my .308 with 150 grn bullets or my 270 with 130 grn bullets.

What does it matter as longs the rifle is accurate.

Anetlope are just about the "softest" game we have in NA

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've used a 30-06, but if it were just for antelope, i'd use a 243 win and never look back.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... Tough question... NOT!

If I were Building a rifle or simply buying one they'd be real similar.... In either case a stainless steel Rem700 with a heavy barrel... in (drum roll please!)... 25-06.

If I were leaving tomorrow (not likely because I just got BACK from Wyoming saturday morning) I'd take my
heavy barreled 7mmMag (I'm currently without a 25-06)

Remember that 120's from a 7mm Mag move out 75-100fps faster than 100gr bullets from a 25-06 can be safely pushed
and way faster than a 25-06 can throw 120's

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre'64 Featherwieght Model 70 chambered in .243 Win. Leupold 3x9 Vari-x 2 scope. Just a nice light gun to hunt Pronghorns with.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite goat gun is a Broughton 257 Ackley shooting 100gr Partions loaded to the max. It has a Broughton 24" air gauged barrel that will shooting under 1/2" with my load. I've taken two speedsters with it so far. The longest shot was 280 yards. My other goat gun is a Shilen 6mm Remington shooting 100gr Hornady SP loaded to the max. It has a 22" barrel and is unbelievably accurate.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
A gun built specifically for hunting pronghorns?

Miller Arms 257 Weatherby with a octagonal #5 Lilja 28 inches long, a Schmidt and Bender long range hunter in 4-16x50 and the nicest piece of burl walnut I could find. Engraved with a series of pronghorns on the sides.

Of course we are talking about $14,000 with the way I would want it engraved. But that's what dreaming is about.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamiah Kid
posted Hide Post
25-06 with 115 grain bulets...

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamiah, Idaho | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 25-06 with a scope in 4-20 range. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
257 Rob AI on a Mauser action, 24" tube. It thinks its a 25-06 with less muzzle blast.. Love that gun..

Wstrnhuntr, you just described my favorite antelope gun, but it's also my first choice for deer and sheep.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc-lope hunting is slam dunk one of the funnest things I do yearly. For me it is a family hunt. I get to take my wife, my Dad my grandson and one of my best friends. The weather is nice, at least compared to late November, and one sees lots of game.

Long ago I made this stuff as tough as it came, I read every article I could on it. Then I went out and hunted the lope for 30 years and heres what I think about it now.

Many rifles and rounds can be used for them, and make no doubt about it day in and day out most all lopes can be approached to within 300 yds.

I've hunted them with archery tackle, handguns. lever guns and bolt guns with Premier reticles with dotz in them to 700 yds. All can be fun no doubt about it. And from time to time I'll try something a bit different to mix it up.

I garner most of my enjoyment out of the hunt, with enjoying the time of year out with family. With visiting with the ranch family that allows our family to hunt on their land each and every year. And to be able to get out and plan a stalk with my 8 year old grandson and then do the stalk is just too cool. Wheather we get an animal or not it just doesn't matter to me. I started taking Austin with me on hunts when he was 4 and wouldn't trade the hunts for all the record book animals in the world!

My wife uses a 6/06 an old M70 that my Grandad bought in 58 (year I was born) and I use my old 700/7 Mashburn Super that's on its 8th tube and is ready for it's 9th very soon. Hers used to carry a 6-20 Leo with Premier dots to 600 but she just couldn't find her spot quick enough with it so we went back to an old 3-9 Leo on it. To date her longest kill with it was 411 yds with one shot and after she dumped the lope I took a look at her rig and the scope was down on 3....grins/women.

My old 700 Mashburn wears a 4-14 Leo on it with Premier dots to 700. It has a Jewell in it and wears a wonderful piece of African Walnut via Brown.

Both guns work fine and do the work for us very well. But, we've done a lot of work with many cals from the 17 Rem to the 416's.

I long ago found out it was the nut behind the butt and as long as the shooter was intimate with the rig then it just doesnt' matter much what the cal is.

Just some rambling thoughts.

Make it your best day!

Dober

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
.270 Win. with 6.5 x 20 Leupold scope. clap

Couldn't have said it better.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If I had to grab ONE rifle from my safe to hunt antelope, it'd be my Ruger MkII lightweight in .257 AI in spite of it's 20" barrel. Like the man said, it thinks it's a .25-06....but I'd have to question the part about "less muzzle blast"! It's without a doubt, the most piercing sound in rifledom!!!!
But it surely does the job and there's something about that 40 degree shoulder of Mr. Ackleys that pitches my tent!

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 12 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
.270 Win. with 6.5 x 20 Leupold scope. clap

Couldn't have said it better.

Well, I was checking my inventory and I'm almost out of 110 TSX bullets but I did find some Sierra 110 Pro Hunters. I do not have any experience with these on game, however, it seems like they would do ok on antelope.

Any thoughts on the Sierra? No particular reason to use them specifically other than to use them up. I did find a load with them years ago with IMR4350 and they shot very well, but I haven't loaded these since about 1996.

Thanks

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
my current build i'm working on a 7mm stw

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote