New
Find
Notify
Tools

B&C Scoring question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know why there is a "drying" or "shrinkage" period after an animal is taken before the official score is done?

I'm not being critical, I'm just curious.

A friend of mine just killed an 84inch Pronghorn and he mentioned that he had to wait until it dried before it could be scored officially. Neither of us knew where this rule came from though....any thoughts or reasons?

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Boone and Crockett do this just to keep things even. The skull plates have tissue between the them that when dry shrinks quite a bit. You can manipulate the spread with the skull wet. When dry the skull is more consistent. It is not really fair to compare a fresh kill with one that was killed a hundred year ago. I don't think that you loose much from antler or bone shrinkage but mostly from the joints in the skull plate.

I have saw people place a board between the antlers to maintain as much spread as possible during the drying time period but have never tried this myself. You could easily gain up to 4/8" this way though on a big antlered animal.

Hope this helps, and congratulations to your friend.
God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good answer Youngoutdoors, that is pretty damn right, but I will tell you that antlers will definitely loose some length too, I have a friend that has several B&C whitetails, and was the first man in Georgia to kill both a B&C and a P&Y whitetail here in the state. He had a couple of trophy's lose nearly an inch in overall LENGTH during the 90 day period, from the same scorer.
An 84 inch Pronghorn should have NO issues still being B&C!!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote