THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Question - Big Game Hunting in August or over Christmas

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question - Big Game Hunting in August or over Christmas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Are there any big game hunting seasons in early to mid-August? Trying to find a BACK PACK hunt I can take my son on next year before school starts. I have two hunting leases in Texas, so hunting access is not an issue. Looking for some place to hunt on public land where we can hike/back pack.

Or maybe over Christmas break?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Maybe Caribou in Southern Alaska?

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
A zone for California blacktail opens 2nd Saturday of August. Public land is tough hunting but there are some nice areas to back pack in NW California. Maybe the Trinity Alps?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Caribou in northern Alaska.

ANWR has or had good populations of caribou and the refuge website and staff can direct you to recommended and licensed air taxi operators in the refuge. You should be able to view sheep and bears and maybe wolves. If you fly into Barter Island/ Kaktovik you may see polar bears. Fishing in ANWR can be good so for petes sake bring a rod.

Deer hunting in south east AK may be a good option but I don't really know anything about it. I think you can rent USFS cabins and I think theres some deer on Kodiak Island as well as thru Prince William Sound, the Gulf Coast and down thru Juneau and Ketchikan.

South west AK doesn't really offer anything in your time frame other than fishing but I do highly recommend it. Expect to see moose and bears and in August fish for silvers, reds, rainbows, char, grayling and pinks.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Are the Caribou in velvet still in August?

quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Caribou in northern Alaska.

ANWR has or had good populations of caribou and the refuge website and staff can direct you to recommended and licensed air taxi operators in the refuge. You should be able to view sheep and bears and maybe wolves. If you fly into Barter Island/ Kaktovik you may see polar bears. Fishing in ANWR can be good so for petes sake bring a rod.

Deer hunting in south east AK may be a good option but I don't really know anything about it. I think you can rent USFS cabins and I think theres some deer on Kodiak Island as well as thru Prince William Sound, the Gulf Coast and down thru Juneau and Ketchikan.

South west AK doesn't really offer anything in your time frame other than fishing but I do highly recommend it. Expect to see moose and bears and in August fish for silvers, reds, rainbows, char, grayling and pinks.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Thanks! Are the Caribou in velvet still in August?

Don't hold me to is but I think they'll rub the velvet off by September 1st or so. I have been there in early August for sheep and they're still covered.

I think you could take a small plane into the wilderness from Kaktovik, Fairbanks, Fort Yukon and a few other places. ANWR is beautiful.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote