New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Cartridge / ATK Fusion Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Federal and their parent company ATK recently realeased their "Fusion" ammo line. This appears to be their proprietary bonded core bullet that claims to offer bonded core technology (Swift A- Frame) + a special pre-bored tip (Barnes X), but is focused on the large US deer hunting market. Was wondering if anyone has used them yet and has any feedback. Quality product or just hype? Thanks, Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know that's tried them said they've gotten better than average accuracy and better speed than most factory stuff. I've got a box of 180's for my 30-06 I'll give a try later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot the .243 and .30-30, very accurate, moa or better. A friend has shot the .270 and .30-06, he had the same experience. No on-game experience yet, though.

http://www.gunsandhunting.com/newmonthly.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried some Fusion in 180 grains for my '06 yesterday. Interestingly, I would get 3 or 4 shots to cluster nicely around 1 inch, but in a couple of groups, I would get one flyer that would hit about 2 inches higher than the group. Happened once for me and once for my father, shooting the same rifle. May have been a flinch, but almost the same pattern both times.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No complaints here.....5 shots at 100yds....

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor took some 180 Fusion out West last week and killed a Deer. Instant kill, 2" exit hole.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took 2 analopes with 165 gr 3006 and both were one shot kills.one was around 150 yds and hit the back bone took out 10" square and the other was around 80 yds bedded down through chest and about a 2" exit hole.It looks like if you hit a bone they do alot of damage.

Buffalo,NY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh W,

I used the 165 grain Fusion on an Ibex hunt last Month. They are extremely accurate in my 300WSM and at 234 yards penetrated both shoulders of a big Siberian Ibex. Of all the game I have taken over the years I don't think I ever saw an animal so devistated at the impact. He didn't kick or even move a muscle.
I'm anxious to try them on some other game.

Hawkeye47

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would the Fusion be suitable for elk? Anyone taken an elk with one?

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Certainly seems worth a try! Hugh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased two boxes of Fusion for my 270 WSM and went to the range today. I was underwhelmed to see it averaged 1 1/2 " groups at 100 yds. I will stick with my shoddy old Nosler Ballistic Tips that average .75" groups and have killed every deer I have pulled a trigger on. I guess there is no such thing as the Silver Bullet! Or is there? Cool
Hugh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a Fusion in 270 to kill a mule deer in North Washington two weeks ago....worked real nice. I can't tell you how it held up due to the fact it exited the other side of the chest and was never located. The price was right and nice groups too.