Tools

Opening Day Deer!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
 -

-

-

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

In Belgium in the same case you haven't the right to take away the deer killed by your car. Stupid law.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's one way to fill your tag I guess. An SUV appears to have plenty of kinetic energy for deer, but it's a rather expensive projectile. Looking at the roof, I'd have to say it sure knocked the shit out of this one.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Very lucky man.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't do the trophy much good! Did you notice the broken antler on the floor of the drivers side?
That could have been VERY serious.
I'm glad that from the looks of things no one was hurt.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
YIKES!!!

It does not look like there was anyone in the passenger seat- good thing too. The steering wheel took a beating and probably protected the driver somewhat.

Saeed - where did you get these photos?

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
cwilson,

One of our members sent them to me.

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amosgreg:
I'm glad that from the looks of things no one was hurt.

Greg, there's blood on the driver's forehead, but it does not appear to be a serious injury.

This is the story that came with my copy of the pictures, the car has Minnesota plates:
Deer jumped off the Hwy 101 bridge over 394 in Wayzata (it was apparently scared by a car that drove by as it was walking over the bridge). The Durango was driving under the bridge when it was hit by the falling deer.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seeing as it's got a red tip is that a 7mm Ballistic Durango that failed on that deer?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey I bet that Balistic Tip Durango retained much of its original weight, the jacket didn't seperate, the "Tip"(top)mushroomed nicely and it does appear that the deer is DEAD. I would hardly call that a failure. Failure would have been the driver dying, and deer walking away.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, That's gotta hurt.

The big danger down here is Elk. Guy that owns the local bar hit one in a Ford Ranger last year and, while he was OK, totaled the vehicle. I, myself, came damn close to hitting one late list night on a forest service road by my place. Had I not already seen and slowed down for this big guys growing harem of cows I might have been the victim of this really nice, heavily palmed 6x6 bull.

In a similar incident, my godfather was on his way to work a graveyards shift at a coal mine in east-central Utah last year and hit seven, yes SEVEN, cow elk in one incident. Amazingly, he walked away uninjured. Totaled the company truck, of course. The railroad workers he knows in town cannot even remember an incident in which a train hit seven at once. The NEXT DAY, and on the same road, he turned a corner and hit some ranchers stray cow thus totaling TWO company trucks in two days. He walked away again. His comment to me was, "Damn John, I didn't even buy a tag this year and I managed to bag more animals than you . . . you better start hunting a bit". [Big Grin]

Best Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this picture is set up. Why would the hind quarters of the deer be in such good shape when the SUV is all smashed from a roll over? Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x57,

Maybe it is, and perhaps I am underestimating how much time people have on their hands, but it sure seems like a lot of trouble for someone.

1)
Find SUV involved in a rollover
2)
Haul it out to some random road
3)
Find dead deer by the side of the same road
4)
lift it and insert into winshield
5)
Put fake blood on guy portraying driver
6)
Snap photo for internet hoax

Who knows?

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<257 AI>
posted
If it was a rolled over Durango then the pasengerside door would be smashed too and you can clearly see it in the 1st picture. Also, I've seen other pics of this and they show the deers entrails on the passengerside floor. It appears to me to be the real thing. I'm not an expert but untill I see otherwise, I'll assume that it's real.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x57:
I think this picture is set up. Why would the hind quarters of the deer be in such good shape when the SUV is all smashed from a roll over? Bryan

Ooooooh, conspiracy! Get the aluminum baseball caps out folks. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is there a rule that all roll overs must involve side damage? This photo is bullshit. What did the deer do,cave in the roof and then reverse direction,so it could fit into the opening in the passenger side windshield? I've smacked enough deer with vehicles and seen hundreds hit by others and have yet to see antlers come off at the bases like a shed. Not to mention this supposed driver would be wearing an antler if the head of the deer ended up in the middle of the drivers side seat.

[ 10-04-2002, 04:39: Message edited by: RMK ]

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A trooper freind of mine told be that the deer was walking across a over pass when a car came up behind it and the deer jumped off landing on the suv. I saw one once that came through the windsheild and it looked like it was seating in the seat.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was emailed those pictures and a few more. It is not a fake. A friend in Minnesota that sent me the photos said it happened not far from him. And the deer did come off an over pass and hit on top of the car and ended up going through. The horn is broken off, not a shed. the other photo shows the guts spilled on the inside of the car, even more unpleasant.

It has not been the first time a deer has jumped off. Supposedly they have some barriers now.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Well heres my theory, the headline reads "opening day deer". The guy was clearly on his way to deer camp with his bright red hunting jacket and his new SUV when he spotted the deer, which itself was distraught knowing of the impending hunt about to ensue, and decided to hurl itself off a nearby overpass as mentioned.

The enthustiastic hunter, being fairly new to the game, spied the buck and then got a severe case of buck fever, swerved off of the road to intercept the now southward bound deer body and caught it right in the kisser before tumbling into a ditch, completly losing track of the fact that he had a gun in the back for that very purpose, he crawled out of the once fine auto and yelled out "GOT HIM"! Which explains the slightly relieved looking grin he is wearing through it all.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess that really qualifies as "buck fever". - LOL - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is amazing to see how much damage a deer could make to a vehicle. Looks that these days they are building vehicle bodies with very light sheet metal or the deer was armour plated. [Roll Eyes]

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote