New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 no good for moose?
 Login/Join

<konst>
posted
Although a lot have been said, i like to say something too.
Here in Germany we do not have any moose, so i can�t tell how much a moose can take.
But i do have a 6,5*57R ,that is comparable to the 6,5*55. I use it only on roes, and if i�m out and a boar is crossing my way, surely on it. But i have to say, that i �m feeling not very good about it. We all do our hunting outside in the "wilderness" , and not under laboratory situations. How easy can it happen to have a bad day or even just to have the luck that the bullet manage to hit something before it is "on the aim".
Therefore i think it�s better to use a bigger,powerfull Caliber, even on game that have strong muscles and bones, like moose do.
I can�t imagine that a 6,5 gives you a good blood trail. So what you are going to do, if the moose got the shot but wents away?????
Me myself would try to pe prepared well, when hunting on such "big game". Take a caliber that will kill the animal for sure, even under bad conditions.
Like someone sayed: It�s like medical insurrance, it�s better to have one, for the case you need some.
If you don�tneed some, fine! But if you need it, you be lucky to have as much as possible.

cheers
Konstantin

------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Konst.

I want a bullet that penetrates deeply and exits, makes a large wound diameter, and causes lots of external blood loss for a good blood trail.

Some people think that an entrance hole is good enough and will provide an adequate blood trail, but those persons have obviously not followed many blood trails.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the North of Canada (various places, Dad worked in the oil industry) and moose meat was our staple for each winter. We (family members) hunted them with 30 -30's, 303's, 243's, 300 savage (Dad's "big game gun"), 308's, 30-06, 270, and one lunatic with a 7mm Mag (he wasn't a lunatic because of his cartridge choice, just a lunatic). they all worked. put the bullet where it is supposed to go, then sit down and brew up some tea, wait a little while, and go get your moose. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot I allready posted

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 01-08-2002).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<perrydog>
posted
As alot of other posters have stated, moose weights can vary considerably. I am very skeptical of the 2000lb moose...there may be a few shot each year, but not that many.

Most of the moose I have helped butcher were probably 1000lbs to 1300lbs...younger bulls with 25" to 40" racks. The biggest body bull I have seen was about 45" rack, but a very old bull (very worn teeth, etc.)...without a scale, i can't tell you its live weight.

I think the time that moose experience the greatest growth is packing it out. Packing 10 loads of meat that feel like 150lbs each makes for one huge moose!

I know a guy that loves to use his 260 remington for moose(I think 120 gr bullets). He only takes neck shots on undisturbed moose, <150 yards and uses either sticks or a tree as a rest. He ends up passing up a few shots but he is patient and normally kills one with very little meat damage(that is what he claims...he gave me the neck last year. About 1/2 of the meat was dog food because it was very blood shot and bone chips were everywhere!)

He claims that with his 260, which I believe is very close to the 6.5x55 swede, he has not kept a bullet in an animal to recover ever...moose, caribou and black bears.

Deadly? yes. Much margin for error? NO! I think I would use a little bigger bullet and try to shoot behind the shoulder, but have enough energy/penetration to go through the shoulder in there is a little operator error.