Find
Notify
Tools

.338 TTSX 160gr
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted
Anyone use this bullet on game yet? Just wondering.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
A freind of mine who posts on AR as "Crusher" uses this bullet in his own wildcat based on a .223 case.
This set up works well for him on deer and hogs. He showed me a bullet that travelled thru a hog and exited then slapped a second hog and fell to the dirt with out penetrating.
In a .338 magnum this bullet would shoot exceptionally flat if you have any accuracy with it!
If it shot well it could turn your .338 WM into a Coues Deer and Antelope rifle for sure.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is probably THE bullet to use if you are a fan of the 338-06
(I'm not)

As for using it in a 338Mag? I personally wouldn't bother.
IF I was out carrying a 338Mag I'd be looking for something bigger.

and a 225gr Elk bullet will kill a mulie or antelope just as dead.

I'm a firm believer in the OGOL concept: One Gun, One Load

The point of this is that if you are carrying a particular rifle
complicating the issue with several different loads is what gets many people into trouble.

Even if it doesn't cause you "Trouble" it's one more thing to think about and in the field with the crosshairs on Venison I prefer as few intruding thoughts as possible.

keeps things simple.

160gr bullets in a 338mag are not going to turn it
into a "257Wby" the way 120gr do a 7mmMag.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever tried this bullet in a .338 Win Mag?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
No.

But I am not sure why you would...

If you are shooting a 338 Federal you didn't select that cartridge becuase it is designed for high velocity

If you are shootinf a 338-06 you can launch the 185 gr TSX at around 2900 whcih is plenty of velocity out to 350 yds

If you are shooting a 338 WM you can launch the 210 gr around 2900

The 160 has a very low BC and the down range trajectory is going to be poor.

Clearly Barnes had a reason for producing it...but it is lost on me.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
My main reason for giving this bullet some thought is that i have a 338x284 Win Encore with a 15" barrel. My thoughts are that with the shorter throat that my barrel has the 160gr TTSX might give me 2700 FPS or so....maybe a littel flatter shooting...but who knows.

But then again my particular gun shoots the 210gr Partition into 1" groups @ 100 yds..at an est 2550-2600 FPS.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Josh,

I suspect that 338x284 is going to basically be a 338-06.

I think you would be much better served by the 185 grn.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .338-06 pushes 200 grain Hornady SP bulets at 2880 fps. I imagaine that I can get 2800 out of 210 NP bullets without too much trouble. I never saw a need for the 165 grain bullet in my .338 I agree with Mike about the poor BC when compared to other bullets I can use.

Now if I had a wildcat like Snellstrom is talking about I might try the 165 grain.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
160 grain 338 cal bullet is way too light for my taste.
210 TSX seems like a good compromise between heavy weights and light weights

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried them, nor do I intend to, but I'd question their usefulness in 338 rifles. The 338 Federal is the only logical application I can see, but even then it's a bit light. Maybe for goofs, I'll buy a box and see how fast they'll go out of my 340 Wby! BOOM

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
338 Federal, 210 TSX shot about 100 yards

Check out the damage to the Zebra's Heart

Exit in the hide

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I like them so much I built a ctg around them I like the 160 gr xfb and the 160 gr ttsx is a little better. with the same oal on your ctg the 160 is not a compressed load where the 225 is and it realy does make the 338 a good deer rifle for whitetail kinda like a 7mag same case same weight bullet a little faster bigger base and all. with bullet weight between 160 ttsx and 250 partitions makes for a nice one rifle big game battery for the us. and a lot of other places.

71.4 gr of the old 4831 ran about 2900 not to much recoil and big bc numbers or not it monkeystomps big game used them a lot in 338 win mag. they shine in the smaler cases 338-06 338 fed. and my own 338-223 wildcat.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot deer with them out of 338 Lapua. Pretty dramatic kills.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
There you are Crusher, I was hoping you would throw your hat in the ring on this topic. Long time no hear from, how you been?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
hey man whats up. when are you bringing your oldest back for a hunt?

I am leaving in a few hours to meet troy for a muzzle loader elk hunt next week.

things are good here still waiting for my custom brass for the 338 hb jamison moves so slow you have to drive a stake to see it.

the new 160 ttsx is super cool but I am gonna miss the old 160 xfb.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote