Find
Notify
Tools

Responses you never posted
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted
I was just wondering how many of you have written responses to a thread and then after re-reading it decided that posting it wasn't such a good idea after all?

How many responses have you written and then not posted?

[ 11-13-2002, 10:19: Message edited by: Gator1 ]

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I do it all the time...

Usually because I decide there is no point continuing an argument, and we are just going around in circles.

Sometimes it's just because there are others more qualified to answer a question than I am.. .

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
(Please disregard this post, I decided not to respond.)

[ 11-12-2002, 23:48: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do that. Then again, sometimes I don't when I should.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have certainly done so many times. Lately, I have also found it prudent to wait a day or so before responding and then often electing to refrain from posting, after thinking things over and/or cooling down a bit.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gatehouse. Sometimes I read the first post, have a Hell of a response building, then find I got beaten to the punch. 'nuff said, no response necessary.

I tend to get hostile only when people think they own this website. I consider myself a moderate.

I have one or two guys that I won't read. As soon as I see their handle, I move on. I suspect they have no life, no friends, and just like to draw attention to themselves by saying something insulting or outrageous, so someone will talk to them.

I like this website particularly when I am leading up to a hunt. The comments, help, recommendations, suggestions are outstanding.

In the past, many first-time hunts, vacations, etc. I kicked myself for not knowing something and having to learn from my mistakes. The advice I've received here has helped me get it right, the first time.

Posts: 13857 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with Nick...I tend to react so I try to mellow out, sometimes it works....

I tend to not to be politically correct and say whats on my mind and it does get me into trouble, but I am honest with all my replies and one always knows where I stand....that's about the best I can do.

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
I sometimes have to waste some post because I cant get the language to work up correct sometimes.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, but not as often as I used to.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On occasion. I'm so long-winded that after I'm finished typing I reread what I wrote, say to myself "geez, are you full of sh!t," and then either rewrite or delete.

This is just like at work, if I'm pretty hot about something I'll just walk away for at least an hour and then respond/reply. It's usually more balanced at that point. Otherwise I could say something stupid and I don't like battles of wit because opponents are quite often better armed...especially several opponents all at once.

Ray, PC...I hate it. People should grow thicker skins. So you and everybody else should say what's on their minds.

I will say that I don't much care for the swearing in some posts simply because Saeed doesn't delete anything (good), but this is a wonderful site for educational purposes and it's poor for kids to see some of that stuff...

See, I type too much.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Pre64>
posted
I tend to take my time composing answers that are intended to be "meaningful". [Roll Eyes]

Poor keyboard skills and the edit function greatly enable this process. I'm an average speller, so I keep a paperback dictionary handy and that slows things down a skosh too.

Good thread, thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gator1:
I was just wondering how many of you have written responses to a thread and then after re-reading it decided that posting it wasn't such a good idea after all?

How many responses have you written and then not posted it?

I've thought about posting the question - why does this board (and Africa Hunting and Big Bore boards in particular) have such a high frequency plain ol' nastiness? This seems to be one of the quickest places to get reamed for absolutely anything that does not conform to a very limited set of perspectives. And not just simple debate of differences of opinions, but major brewhahas full of needless and excessive nastiness from folks trying to rain on someone else's parade.

But what's the point?

At least, I find myself spending more time hunting and building rifles than on my computer, so perhaps something good comes of it all.

May good hunting and friendly postings be in your future,
Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reed:
[QB]"On occasion. I'm so long-winded that after I'm finished typing I reread what I wrote, say to myself "geez, are you full of sh!t," and then either rewrite or delete."

[Big Grin] Reed ... that was priceless! [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brent:

"I've thought about posting the question - why does this board (and Africa Hunting and Big Bore boards in particular) have such a high frequency plain ol' nastiness?"

Takes the wind out of your sails, doesn't it?
I'd like to have a buck for every minute I've spent tip-toeing around, trying to capture a word or phrase that couldn't be twisted and taken the wrong way. It's like someone here once said: "When we can't see each others face, the words take on a different meaning". The downside of Internet Chatrooms, I suppose.

[ 11-13-2002, 07:29: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Nickudu

That was exactly why I posted the question. I was writing a response that I knew would be taken the wrong way by a minority and decided that it wasn't worth the argument.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have written to respond to the crying about the 45-70 and then felt if I didn't have anything good to say I would say nothing at all and deleted my post. Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thread and good responses.

This site is supposed to be fun and entertaining, not maddening.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sort of a Catch-22 scenario. Derisive Threads are perpetuated by the very silence of those that detest them, while willing participants merrily carry on. I predict that this very thread shall be thought inhabited by a collection of pius pussycats with nothing more to do than indirectly complain about things they don't have the courage to confront directly, while in reality, nothing could be further from the truth. While we dislike, intensly what we sometimes read, we recognize the futility in trying to reason with it and what's more, we distort our natural manner of communicating in order to avoid conflict.

[ 11-13-2002, 07:26: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About the only time I don't submit the post is when I think it will be misunderstood by Americans due to cultural and writing differences.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Mike! [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have, after some consideration, decided not to contribute my two cents to a thread or two; however, the ones that have really hurt are the one or two that I spent some time researching and writing only to hit a wrong key and have them disappear. I just wanted to cry because the they were too long and too complex to re-write. See how lucky you guys and gals were. Ku-dude

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick,

It is 3.30pm Wednesday indrougfht stricken Sydney.

By the way, the current condition of my neck could mean Mike240 is not far away.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin]

<Albertahunter>
posted
Nickudu,

Your last couple of posts really nailed it.That was supurbly spoken and fairly echoed my own sentiments on the subject.I've almost gotten involved in the matchking debate(term used loosely)on a number of times and realized the futility of it and struck my post half way through. Also have pulled Ku-dude's trick and hit the wrong button and poof. [Big Grin] This was an exellent idea for a thread!

ABH

[ 11-13-2002, 09:37: Message edited by: Albertahunter ]

<ovis>
posted
Gator 1,

Great thread......I think just about all that can
be said probably has been.. I hope others will take note that this thread and Nick's "Column A" thread have produced some thought provoking posts from members that are not too shy about calling an ace an ace and members that may back off a post due to varied thoughts or observations they may think do not add productively to the different threads posted on this or other forums. I think the key here is the verb "think" and the members that use not only the verb but the process as well. Thinking and personal experience have made this site the great place it is. No, we don't always agree with the Rays, Mikes, Nicks, Joes,.....................whomevers! But, Damn, there's a wealth of useful information here; take advantage of it. I dare say I spend more time afield than most, it's all I do, been doing it forty years. I learn something here almost every time I come to this site.

With a bit of thought and respect, this site will always have class in spite of some that don't have the capacity to think, lack a basic understanding of life, and, due to lack of repect for themselves, have no respect for others.

Joe