New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bipods
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got back from a successful though windy antelope hunt in Wyoming and feel a good bipod would make those long shots easier. any suggestions on the Outers or Harris bipods? I definitly need one tall enough for the sitting position and I would like to have the feature where you can tilt the rifle without lifting a leg on the bipod.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You answered your own question......the tall, tilting HARRIS model.
I am never without one of the shorter HARRIS models. We don't have a lot of sage to deal with so can use the shorter model from prone. DO after zeroing your rifle rezero using the bipod. Sometimes the POI can change.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your talking one of those conglomerations that hangs on the front of the rifle, I wouldn't have one, they make off hand shooting impossible for me and add too much weight and unbalance to a fine rifle......

I much prefer to use a rock or one of mother natures rests if possible and it usually is...If not I will take the shot Kneeling, sitting or offhand...

I suppose one of the stix would work for most folks, but I have hunted antelope for many years and havn't needed such things as bipods, range finders etc. One must miss once in awhile, least he would become bored to death with the sport [Wink]

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I actually love that "conglomerations that hangs on the front of the rifle". Ray is right about the extra weight and the unbalance it gives when shooting offhand, and he failed to mention that they have a tendency to remove the front sling stud on plastic and some wood stocks.
However, the majority of my shots at game are in the sitting position, and the stability they give you when the shot really counts make them worth the hassels. I've spent years trying to steady my rifle on a backpack thrown over a sage brush, and I can tell you that its not near as steady as my Harris swivel bipod.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use a bipod for hunting antelope and then I use the harris 25c.It does not swivel as I merely extend one leg longer or shorter for uneven ground and find the non swiveling bipod more rigid.Make sure that you test your rifle with the bipod installed as it can affect the point of impact with some rifles.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I used the Stony Point Steady stix for the first time this year and was pleased. Uneven ground, tilting and panning are no problem since it is not attached to your gun. Check out the Snipe Pod if you want something hanging on your rifle.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a stony point Hunt'n'Hike set up. The bipod (more like sticks, not attached to the rifle) adjusts with telescoping legs from sitting to offhand height.

In terms of functionality, I like them a lot. A little more sturdy and adjustable that the stoney point shooting sticks, but also little bulkier and heavier. For game, I have only used them in the sitting position, where they have been great, very steady.

[ 10-19-2003, 02:06: Message edited by: Burropacker ]

Posts: 56 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
go with Stoney Point shooting sticks!!!!!!!

Midway has them on sale this month.

I like them much better than the Harris bi-pods which I have used in the past.
Just my peenies worth.
Peartree

Posts: 8 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did shoot my antelope from prone with sling and made a good hit at 250 yards. The wind was blowing better than thirty miles an hour so prone was all I could use along with enjoying laying on that peculier redskinned cactus common in Wyoming. I had a shooting stick but it was blowing me around too bad to get a good sight picture and I figure a good bipod tall enough to use from sitting would have been very useful.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Harris bipods. I think it is worth the investment.